Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Pure Stock 06 RS 12.86 w/only a 9sec9 tune.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets go!!! I really want to see this done!
Old May 10, 2009, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor

We did not make it into the 11's today, but came pretty damn close. Eliminations started after the 12.07 pass, and I should have listened to 9sec9 and left it where it was. We lowered the tire psi and raised the two step in an attempt to get more bite. The very next pass I knocked the tires loose and ran a 1.76 60' for a 12.255@112.41. The next pass we went back to our standard tire psi and lowered the two step. Which after looking at the logs was the right thing to do. The car in front of me was running street tires and drug water all the way to the line, which after he ran I lined up slightly out of the groove, no problem. The SUV I was running against was dialed in at a 17.37 which meant I had to sit for 5.37 seconds. I went up three times on the two step waiting and left with low boost, cut a .022 light and bogged. It ran a 1.801 60' 12.409@112.04 which was the end of our day.

I really felt bad for 9sec9 with all his hard work creating this tune to be so close to our goal and not get it. I felt there was a high 1.5 60' and a high 11.90 there under the right conditions. We learned alot today, I worked on my driving, * no miss shifts today, and in the end we proved for under 150.00 in mods and the right tune the stock parts work well. Well enough to run low 12's possibly high 11's. At this point 9sec9 and I are going to evaluate where we are and make a decision to go forward, or make another attempt into the 11's as is. Weather permitting we should have a couple of days next week to make another attempt. Thanks for all your support, Indy and 9sec9

Last edited by Indy Evo; May 10, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old May 10, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

wow this thread is crazy! subscribed
Old May 10, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
" and in the end we proved for under 150.00 in mods and the right tune the stock parts work well. Well enough to run low 12's possibly high 11's."

Congrats on great runs, but I have a question. It says for under 150 in mods but the pic shows the car on Volk CE28's??? Were they on the car when it did those passes?
Old May 10, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brian, many, many many racers change tires and wheels. They've been clearly mentioned before. Yes they were on the car and they weigh 39+ lbs per wheel. These are not 15's, they're 17 x 8.5's and 24 lb tires. Not 14 lb motorcycle slicks. Stock is around 43-44 I believe. A meager savings, considering he's also still carrying the spare tire and everything else that the car came with. His previous wheels and tires were heavier than stock, so I loaned him my setup. Nearly everyone has to change tires at some time. 39 lbs isn't what I, or you, would call light weights.
Old May 10, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec9
Brian, many, many many racers change tires and wheels. They've been clearly mentioned before. Yes they were on the car and they weigh 39+ lbs per wheel. These are not 15's, they're 17 x 8.5's and 24 lb tires. Not 14 lb motorcycle slicks. Stock is around 43-44 I believe. A meager savings, considering he's also still carrying the spare tire and everything else that the car came with. His previous wheels and tires were heavier than stock, so I loaned him my setup. Nearly everyone has to change tires at some time. 39 lbs isn't what I, or you, would call light weights.

Saturday was a parts install day(struts/springs-back on Bilstein MR's w/Swift Spec R's, wheels/tires-Volk CE28N's w/BFG Drag Radials, Hallman MBC, and an Buschur air filter), tuning

Then it isnt under $150 in mods and the car is also not stock weight as was mentioned.

Even 5 pounds(per corner) of rotating mass savings is quite huge especially when your talking about tires/wheels since the mass is quite a large circumference. I'm not taking away from the achievement, but it is misleading for the new guys not in the know.

And not too mention this tire/wheel setup is allowing for a bigger contact area for better grip. So even though you are making it sound as if it is nothing, it is quite the mod and is a $3k mod....

Last edited by Most-Wanted; May 10, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old May 10, 2009, 05:27 PM
Account Disabled

NICEE!!! Congrats mang!
Old May 10, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Brian, you mention CONTACT PATCH. 225 is smaller than 235 STOCK the last time I checked. And by the way, you conveniently must not have read all of Indy's previous post PRIOR to us running that he was using my borrowed wheels and very detailed descriptions of the tires. Like I've seen you post on many occassions, Please don't trash up his thread. There's no room for putting down what he's done. Many things are 'known' but not posted about many other cars. This thread is about Indy's car and I don't think we're required to 'repost' previous posts, just for the convenience of those not wanting to read.
Old May 10, 2009, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
And not too mention this tire/wheel setup is allowing for a bigger contact area for better grip.
I believe that Indy is on a 225-45-17. If I remember correctly the stockers are 235-45-17. I think the point they were trying to make is that its $150 worth of mods to the engine. Its not like he bolted on some motorcycle slicks and cut a 1.3x sixty foot. He cut the same sixty foot that many people have cut with the stock Advan's. Anyway you cut it the car still made damn god MPH for his mods and if he put the stock tires back on the MPH would be the same and the ET would be damn close.

Keith
Old May 10, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for pointing that out Keith. The previous posts have clearly stated what mods the car has, but it seems that lack of reading on one persons part becomes an obligation on our part. Also, the thread was STARTED with stock wheels and heavier tires, not AFTER we changed to the new wheels and tires. It's kind of difficult to follow a cars' progress if changes can't be made as the car goes along the path to a goal.

By the way Keith, I hear that you've got a car that's really looking good. Nice work too!
Old May 10, 2009, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Brian, you mention CONTACT PATCH. 225 is smaller than 235 STOCK the last time I checked. And by the way, you conveniently must not have read all of Indy's previous post PRIOR to us running that he was using my borrowed wheels and very detailed descriptions of the tires. Like I've seen you post on many occassions, Please don't trash up his thread. There's no room for putting down what he's done. Many things are 'known' but not posted about many other cars. This thread is about Indy's car and I don't think we're required to 'repost' previous posts, just for the convenience of those not wanting to read.
First of all, its an open forum and I'm expressing my thoughts in a respectful manner. So dont start with me about posting trash. He clearly states for under 150 in mods the results can be duplicated. In fact, it is clearly NOT 150 in mods that netted those numbers. I am not taking away from the achievement, the results are great. Just be more forthcoming...

As for the tire/wheel I was referring to the 8.5 width wheel allowing for a bigger tire. I didnt see what tire he was using anywhere, but even little things like wheel width affect the curvature of the same size tire on different width wheels affecting contact patch...

And while we are disputing the 150. If we are only talking about engine mods and not the work he did to the suspension/ wheel tire combo. How does a Hallman MBC, Filter, and tune only cost 150???

No worries, now that I have expressed my thoughts on the topic and the 150 mods comment I will refrain from posting any more... I guess I am missing the point.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

For those reading this, I will explain what is being expressed. First of all, I don't think that too many 225's get BETTER contact patch on an 8.5" wheel. Quite the contrary. That's why when we dropped tire pressure to 22, we LOST traction instead of increasing it. Also, since we've clearly mentioned that the wheels are 17's and the LARGEST BF Goodrich tire in a 17 is 225, there's no way that the tire or it's contact patch would have been larger. We've also tried to fully disclose the temperature, barometric pressure, humidity and many other factors in previous posts, just in the interest of full disclosure. Thanks for the words of encouragement. We will continue to post our mods and their results, as long as we can stay on track.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for pointing that out Keith. The previous posts have clearly stated what mods the car has, but it seems that lack of reading on one persons part becomes an obligation on our part. Also, the thread was STARTED with stock wheels and heavier tires, not AFTER we changed to the new wheels and tires. It's kind of difficult to follow a cars' progress if changes can't be made as the car goes along the path to a goal.

By the way Keith, I hear that you've got a car that's really looking good. Nice work too!
Dont come off as arrogant 9sec9, it does nothing for you.
Lack of reading on my part...

Again this is what was said from the OP-
"and in the end we proved for under 150.00 in mods" "Well enough to run low 12's possibly high 11's"

I'm not disputing what was done, just the fact that no one can duplicate it for 150... Thats it, nothing more, nothing less. You can try to make me out to be the bad guy or whatever. Bottom line is this....

MR suspension
Swift springs
Buschur filter
Hallman MBC
Custom tune
Volk CE28's
BG Goodridge Drag Radial

DOES NOT equal 150 in mods.....

Best of luck with the next stage. Regardless of cost it is coming along nicely and is showing great results

Last edited by Most-Wanted; May 10, 2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you very much. We'll do our best.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
was this on stock tune also?

Quick Reply: Pure Stock 06 RS 12.86 w/only a 9sec9 tune.