Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Hoosier 245/45/17 Drag Radial a reality!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SloRice
Just playing devil's advocate here. My car goes high 1.6x's all day long on a set of basically road race tires (Toyo R888's). Back when I had a tall sidewall all-season on the car, it would go low 1.6x's all day long. I then ran the motorcycle slicks last summer and my car was going 1.45-1.5 all day long.

I'm not seeing where these tires are showing an advantage. Chris and Jeff are both running about a tenth slower in the 60ft than they did on the motorcycle slicks.

I'm very interested is seeing these tires succeed, but what's the point if they can't perform as well as what's already out there.
Originally Posted by 9sec9
The motorcycle slicks are not drag radials. Class requirements in some races. They're less stable and as I've said before, check the mph and the fact that the new drag radials are not 'worked in' yet. Many, many people would not use a motorcycle slick under any circumstances on their car. There's give and take in every choice. Safety as well as performance down track and ideal rpm range of the motor must be looked at too. We're not trying to compare a dot radial to a motorcyle slick. We're trying to create a more ideal size and compound for our stock wheels. By the way, Chris ran 1.52 on the motorcycle slicks and went 1.57 on the NEW (as in not broken in) dot drag radials. Jeff got his best 60's to date on his new turbo setup. Not too bad for a beginning.
Indeed i think the main thing to remember is that it would be a better comparison to a QTP/ET Street (bias) rather than any sort of 100% slick tire whether it be made for a motorcycle or car.

Not to mention i know that it wouldn't be wise to run on any of these tires on the highways but i'd be a helluva lot more comfortable on some DR's vs any slick or bias ply tires......cuz we all know what goes on outside of the race track
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

PATRICK B., does that include getting a lag bolt through the tread? All of these soft tires are so succeptible to picking up nails and screws that it's really best to have a street set and a race set. I'm sure you weren't referring to 'race' conditions on the outside of the track, since you probably wouldn't even remotely think of doing that. Right? How is your project coming along?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

PATRICK B., does that include getting a lag bolt through the tread? All of these soft tires are so succeptible to picking up nails and screws that it's really best to have a street set and a race set. I'm sure you weren't referring to 'race' conditions on the outside of the track, since you probably wouldn't even remotely think of doing that. Right? How is your project coming along?
Def not! I handle all of my racing on the 1320 and that's enough for me

However i can't say the same for some of our customers especially the one w/ his Evo in the shop w/ a big phat nail in his Nitto DR.

Just waiting to get some rack time to pull the trans out to see what needs to be replaced and then we will head back out to shoot for the 9sec pass before the years out.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The motorcycle slicks are not drag radials. Class requirements in some races. They're less stable and as I've said before, check the mph and the fact that the new drag radials are not 'worked in' yet. Many, many people would not use a motorcycle slick under any circumstances on their car. There's give and take in every choice. Safety as well as performance down track and ideal rpm range of the motor must be looked at too. We're not trying to compare a dot radial to a motorcyle slick. We're trying to create a more ideal size and compound for our stock wheels. By the way, Chris ran 1.52 on the motorcycle slicks and went 1.57 on the NEW (as in not broken in) dot drag radials. Jeff got his best 60's to date on his new turbo setup. Not too bad for a beginning.

I understand what you are saying Tom regarding the "safety" issue. Many people won't run a MC slick on their car because of that.

The other thing I think about is what kind of people are going to spend the money to run a dedicated drag racing tire?? Is it going to be people that want to go as fast as possible or is it going to be people that are trying to fit into a class?

I think for this particular tire application, the users are going to mainly be the AWD group (Evo/Suby/VW/Audi/etc) that don't want to swap their brakes. The owners of these cars aren't trying to fit their car into a particular class, because, to be honest, there is no class to put them in. There is no organized import racing anymore and especially no import racing that designates DOT tires. Therefore why make the tire compound out of the harder Hoosier DOT Drag Radial compound. If they really wanted to make the tire DOT friendly, why not make it out of the Quick Time Pro compound. Otherwise, they should have made this a full out drag slick made of the softest, stickiest compound available.

You said Chris and Jeff were a little off their best MC slick 60ft using the Hoosier DR. But their best MC slick 60ft is almost a tenth off my best MC slick 60ft (1.44) and I know I'm not the fastest either. No matter what you think, I don't see these tires cutting low 1.4 or high 1.3 60ft's like a lot of people are doing on the MC slicks.

Last edited by SloRice; Aug 19, 2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

I understand what you are saying Tom regarding the "safety" issue. Many people won't run a MC slick on their car because of that.

The other thing I think about is what kind of people are going to spend the money to run a dedicated drag racing tire?? Is it going to be people that want to go as fast as possible or is it going to be people that are trying to fit into a class?

I think for this particular tire application, the users are going to mainly be the AWD group (Evo/Suby/VW/Audi/etc) that don't want to swap their brakes. The owners of these cars aren't trying to fit their car into a particular class, because, to be honest, there is no class to put them in. There is no organized import racing anymore and especially no import racing that designates DOT tires. Therefore why make the tire compound out of the harder Hoosier DOT Drag Radial compound. If they really wanted to make the tire DOT friendly, why not make it out of the Quick Time Pro compound. Otherwise, they should have made this a full out drag slick made of the softest, stickiest compound available. No matter what you think, I don't see these tires cutting low 1.4 60ft's like the MC slicks.
That's the area of your misunderstanding. This is NOT standard dot drag radial compound. Also, If I recall, the rules for THIS event in ESA clearly called for a dot drag radial tire. I also DO see these tires cutting 1.4x 60's with certain cars and drivers. The tires won't make a 1.6x driver into a 1.4x driver. They will ENABLE a potential 1.4x driver into the best of his/her abilities.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Indeed i think the main thing to remember is that it would be a better comparison to a QTP/ET Street (bias) rather than any sort of 100% slick tire whether it be made for a motorcycle or car.

Realistically, the only tire you might as well compare this to is the BFG Drag Radial. The QTP/ET Street is going to be softer than the Hoosier DR.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Realistically, the only tire you might as well compare this to is the BFG Drag Radial. The QTP/ET Street is going to be softer than the Hoosier DR.
NOT this one! Back on the Dot drag radial designation in the Shootout. This was changed this year. I looked and felt of the ET Street and have been running the QTP's, so I'm familiar with both. This tire has been proven by technical means to be softer than both. Absolute truth!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Hay guys sorry I am so late on getting into this thread, with the traveling and everything else visiting family, friends ect... I jusy aint had no time to post about the tires... now I am back to work, so not much time to post now but pi$$ on management

1st off I wanna thank Tom and Indy for letting me use his tire and wheel combo at the shoot-out on Sunday.

I made 7 or 8 passes on these tires. What a great tire! I was hoping for a better 60ft but that is my weak area when racing these cars

I run the nitto 555r's now and 60's are in the low 1.7's for me with these tires. We put the Hoosier's on and right away the 60's where down .1. Like I told Tom they felt best at the 24 to 26psi range and at 147mph they where VERY stable when slowing down! We lowered the pressure and the 60's seemed to have gotten worse. These tires are gonna work best in the 25psi range.

Another thing I really liked about the tire is that they did not wheel hop on the launch! Compared to the Nitto's

Overall for a streetable tire and everyday driving I would give these tires a .

Thanks again Tom and Indy for letting me be apart this testing

Here are a few pics of Tom being my biotch

Testing the tires out and Shep beating me out by .002

And me next to the Bad Bish.

Last edited by vwjeff; Aug 19, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

slorice, sorry brotha but you are completely wrong! If here in podunk america, we have events put on by our tracks and various groups that require DOT tires for particular classes. I GUARANTEE you they have these races happening all over the country! Hell..these events happen almost on a monthly basis around here.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

That's the area of your misunderstanding. This is NOT standard dot drag radial compound. Also, If I recall, the rules for THIS event in ESA clearly called for a dot drag radial tire. I also DO see these tires cutting 1.4x 60's with certain cars and drivers. The tires won't make a 1.6x driver into a 1.4x driver. They will ENABLE a potential 1.4x driver into the best of his/her abilities.
Sorry, I didn't look at ESA rules, because I don't run that class. I just figured EE and ESA were the same and QTP's are allowed in EE.

I'm a 1.6x driver (on street tires) that was turned into a 1.4x driver by the MC slicks.

I looked and felt of the ET Street and have been running the QTP's, so I'm familiar with both. This tire has been proven by technical means to be softer than both. Absolute truth!
Couple questions regarding that statement.

1. Hoosier obviously has a compound already finished for the DR tire. Why would they develop a new compound for only 1 tire? If Hoosier did indeed develop a new DR tire compound that is better than the old compound, it would be a no brainer to use that new compound on all their DR tires.

2. if Hoosier's new DR compound is softer than the QTP compound, it seems to me that they will be canibalizing the sales of the QTP because everyone will want the softer DR compound. They're both DOT approved, so no difference there.

As you can see, I don't understand the rationale behind some of your statements.

p.s. tell Hoosier or M/T to cut the bead off a MC slick and put an automotive bead on it...../thread!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the comments Jeff. As you know, we did our best to put the tires to as much of a test as we could. Your comments about the stability and feel of the tire was a tremendous help. Your consistency was what impressed me the most. Thanks again for being a trooper and allowing us to use you and your car. I'm certain that Hoosier Tire Co also appreciates you and Chris volunteering.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

My pleasure pops!

Tell them I said thaxs if ya could.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry, I didn't look at ESA rules, because I don't run that class. I just figured EE and ESA were the same and QTP's are allowed in EE.

Couple questions regarding that statement.

1. Hoosier obviously has a compound already finished for the DR tire. Why would they develop a new compound for only 1 tire? If Hoosier did indeed develop a new DR tire compound that is better than the old compound, it would be a no brainer to use that new compound on all their DR tires.

2. if Hoosier's new DR compound is softer than the QTP compound, it seems to me that they will be canibalizing the sales of the QTP because everyone will want the softer DR compound. They're both DOT approved, so no difference there.

As you can see, I don't understand the rationale behind some of your statements.

Obviously, You haven't kept up from the beginning. This tire and size was a custom spec'd build. Not an off the shelf, go to your local tire store and buy it item. As for the QTP, show me a 17" that fits the bill and has the stability at 145 mph and the compound to compete with many slicks. This tire will have it all. Again, as far as 1.4x's, I'll place a 500$ bet that someone in the first batch will cut a 1.4x using these.

Added: When these come out, IndyEvo said that his website will re-imburse the first 1.4x driver, $250. Run a 1.3x and go up to $350. Absolute proof by video and timeslip MUST be provided. Sorry to get you into this Indy.

Last edited by 9sec9; Aug 19, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vwjeff
My pleasure pops!

Tell them I said thaxs if ya could.
Jeff, you deserve a set of these when they come out. Your da man! I really enjoyed spending time with you at the track. Also, seeing that this old man was wearing down, I appreciate you making me sit back while you did most of the work. Hope to see you again soon.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

fwiw - the only events we have here where you can actually win prize money requires the AWD guys to run a DOT tire unless you have enough packing to run w/ the big dogs........and at that point i'd imagine it would be on slicks already anyway....

Quick Reply: Hoosier 245/45/17 Drag Radial a reality!