Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Hoosier 245/45/17 Drag Radial a reality!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9sec9
Obviously, You haven't kept up from the beginning. This tire and size was a custom spec'd build. Not an off the shelf, go to your local tire store and buy it item. As for the QTP, show me a 17" that fits the bill and has the stability at 145 mph and the compound to compete with many slicks. This tire will have it all. Again, as far as 1.4x's, I'll place a 500$ bet that someone in the first batch will cut a 1.4x using these.

Added: When these come out, IndyEvo said that his website will re-imburse the first 1.4x driver, $250. Run a 1.3x and go up to $350. Absolute proof by video and timeslip MUST be provided. Sorry to get you into this Indy.

You're correct, I haven't been keeping up with this thread. I've only read the last couple pages.

But from a business standpoint, unless you paid them a stupid amount of money to make these tires, I don't understand why a business would make a custom spec built tire. It doesn't make sense to spend the time/engineering/money/etc to develop a compound for one tire. That's like asking David Buschur to put a bunch of time/money/engineering into a 2.8L stroker motor and then only sell it to you. It makes no sense from a business standpoint.

Like I said, I'm all for seeing it be a good tire because I do get nervous on the MC slicks and would like another alternative. But the high 1.5/low 1.6 60fts they did on Sunday can be had on a set of $300 all-seasons.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
fwiw - the only events we have here where you can actually win prize money requires the AWD guys to run a DOT tire unless you have enough packing to run w/ the big dogs........and at that point i'd imagine it would be on slicks already anyway....
Thats the same type of deal that happens here. All the streetracers have organized events at the tracks about every month. You either have to run in the "anything goes class" or run with the "radial" cars. If you choose to run with the big dogs you better have an extremely stout car that can run deep 8's on some stickies. Otherwise, you can actually be competitive in the "street" class on some radials.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're in the minority, based on the response we've received and the PM's for Pre-orders.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SloRice
You're correct, I haven't been keeping up with this thread. I've only read the last couple pages.

But from a business standpoint, unless you paid them a stupid amount of money to make these tires, I don't understand why a business would make a custom spec built tire. It doesn't make sense to spend the time/engineering/money/etc to develop a compound for one tire. That's like asking David Buschur to put a bunch of time/money/engineering into a 2.8L stroker motor and then only sell it to you. It makes no sense from a business standpoint.

Like I said, I'm all for seeing it be a good tire because I do get nervous on the MC slicks and would like another alternative. But the high 1.5/low 1.6 60fts they did on Sunday can be had on a set of $300 all-seasons.
+1

Those tires will NEVER see 1.3 60fts on an EVO.. I would be SHOCKED, to see 1.45 or better no matter who drives the car...
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SloRice

That's the reason the tires are being developed and tested. Safety first. As for the constant references to the 60's, good tires mean more than the quickest 60' time. Rolling resistance and stability both play a part in the et and mph. Just looking at 1 factor is like having a beautiful blond wife with an incredible body, an IQ of 80 and having to take her to a business function with your boss and his beautiful blond wife who also has an incredible body and an IQ of 180 but an attitude of 'lets get it on'. I'll take the bosses wife any day.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

"But the high 1.5/low 1.6 60fts they did on Sunday can be had on a set of $300 all-seasons."

That statement may or may not be true, but consistency, lower mph due to heavier weight....Oh well, you're 'stuck in the 60's', and I thought it was me who was the oldest. Other attributes than a 60' time.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

I"ve seen momentum from high rpms carry a good 60, but the weight takes it's toll when whp has to do the job down track. Your're wrong about the only thing people care about.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
All - please keep this thread civil and on point.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

yes sir. The tires will be tested again soon and to the 40+ people on the list, Indy will be contacting you soon.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Tom, you wanna test them on a 2g?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Get over to Indy's and we'll test them on a mule. We want to test them every way possible. The more passes, the better they're going to get. Your only problem is getting Jim to let go of them.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Dont worry Tom these tires are looking good and ur getting feedback from Jim, Jeff and others to help improve them. As you can see the only people arguing with u are the few and the proud so well just see happens. Ive cut tons of 1.4Xs on QTP with a heavy car and could only imagine with a light car and a preped track it would get alot better. I have faith that these tires can cut 1.4s
Old Aug 19, 2009, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9sec9
Get over to Indy's and we'll test them on a mule. We want to test them every way possible. The more passes, the better they're going to get. Your only problem is getting Jim to let go of them.
I am bigger than Jim

I would like to try them on Bens low 10 second 2g. (10.21@143) We are going to irp tomorrow if the weather holds.

Fathouse
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hoosier always supports the racers that need custom tires.

Hoosier produced a 10x8 and 10x6 LC0 compound slick JUST for our FSAE car. We were the ONLY person in the WORLD running that slick. They'll build the tire because we (the racer) asked for it.

Hoosier FTMFW!

I'm sure with more passes on these slicks you'll start seeing better ET's. I cut 1.62's on RE-01R's... I'm looking forward to 1.5x's on these DR's, no chance of wheel hop, keeping my brembo brakes, running my stock wheels for dr wheels, and picking up some MPH in the top end.

Thank you Indy, 9sec9, Hoosier, and vwjeff for the testing.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Yes it is comical the people arguing in here about the merits of Hoosier making a drag radial for Evos.... Oh no! The horror of it all!

Like the above member said... nice that Hoosier is taking the time to do it. And IMO you need a lot of testing and results before we can say how good this new tire is. Also credit to 9sec9 for doing this... I mean seriously, who the hell is doing stuff like this for non profit?

Quick Reply: Hoosier 245/45/17 Drag Radial a reality!