Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Hoosier 245/45/17 Drag Radial a reality!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To address the "80%" statement, I would say that the statement is true simply because it takes a better driver to cut a great 60' time. Most-Wanted cuts a 1.3x-1.4x and makes great ET's. Not too many drivers fall into that category. The better the driver, the lower the 60', end result is a lower ET. The tire is just a tool for the driver to use to his advantage in every respect. Not just on the launch. I don't see too many of the 'foo-paw'ers (whatever the hell that is) doing much to bring another option to the table. "Constructive" criticism is something that can be built upon. Criticism is used to tear down something already built.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I have said in past to you Tom, I am not in the tire business, I don't sell tires, I have no tire sponsors, I have nobody giving me tires, I have no dog in the fight of tires, could care less other than my typical sticking my nose into topics of interest, which this one interests me.

I can't speak for everyone but of the drag radials on the market I know of I don't personally know anyone running 13-15 psi of air in them. I could absolutely be wrong but myself, Kevin, Trent, Daniel do not run any of the tires we have tried that low. 18-22 psi is where they seem to like to be run. At the shootout Chris ran the Hoosiers and the BFG's, he had a 1.52 sixty foot on the BFG's, his 4th gear was completely gone as you know so I have no input to his overall ET, that 1.52 was quicker by a good margin than he had the Hoosier that day. Jeff's best was a 1.60 I think and that's a 600+ whp car and Jeff is a good driver. At the same race Project White on the MT's, 18" heavy tire ran a 1.53.

Personally, selling a tire designed for drag racing that isn't producing the best 60' times seems a little "off" to me.

Congrats to Indy for having connections, that is what he brings to the table, tons of connections. Just building a tire with a brochure of specs but not stellar 60' times seems nuts to me. Congrats to you Tom for putting every minute you have into furthering the tune on Indy's car.

The ET/MPH change I see seems to me to be from a lighter tire/wheel package, lighter clutch that actually hooks up and holds the power and continuous work on the tune.

The tire, glad to see it in a 17", too bad it doesn't work for anything but dry use, it's not really recommended for street use (per Tom) and it isn't hooking very well by comparison to other tires that do those other things too.

Bringing a product to market that isn't ready yet won't make a new business stick around for very long.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only real way to do analysis of a tire is to send it here... You would also have to test your competitors tires for benchmarking.

http://www.calspan.com/tire.htm

Realistically, testing a tire on several different Evo's with different setups is the ONLY way to determine the validity of the tire design.

Buying several Evo's and then footing the bill for all of the tires... not realistic. Making people pay for the tire and do knowingly buying a developing tire... way more realistic. Especially for a privateer.

I agree with you on several fronts Dave, but on this one I'm going to disagree.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I give props to 9sec9 and Indy for bringing other options to the market. As far as I know, there is only info from one or two cars that everyone is comparing to. If there proves to be a better option at this size tire, then so be it. At least 9sec9 and Indy had the ***** to make something happen rather than sit on the sidelines and watch.

There are many parts that are not ready, and brought to the market too soon (I can think of a few off the top of my head). This will NOT be one of them. This tire is another very good option and possibly the best option (only time will tell) that an informed consumer can choose between.

Again kudos to 9sec9 and Indy!

Last edited by OKIX; Sep 26, 2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OKIX
I give props to 9sec9 and Indy for bringing other options to the market. As far as I know, there is only info from one or two cars that everyone is comparing to. If there proves to be a better option at this size tire, then so be it. At least 9sec9 and Indy had the ***** to make something happen rather than sit on the sidelines and watch.

There are many parts that are not ready and brought to the market too soon (I can think of a few off the top of my head). This will NOT be one of them. This tire is another very good option and possibly the best option (only time will tell) that an informed consumer and chose between.

Again kudos to 9sec9 and Indy!
Well said. Its a nice option. Maybe its not for everybody, but defnitely a good gesture on 9sec9's part to make the initiative. As far as performance, it will take a little time to see what they are really capable of. I just ordered a set of tires but would've loved to see how these worked on my set up. Once I'm up running and get a few solid consistent runs in maybe I will test these back to back to a standard Falken Azeni. I think that is the only way we will see their true potential. I just dont know how these couldnt give excellent results. I know this tire for the 10.5 tire class by buddy runs is so good he takes a weight penalty. For me, I'm happy its another tire option. I'm looking forward to trying a set in the near future.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 04:06 AM
Former Sponsor

As of this morning we only have 2 sets left, three major Evo shops have placed their orders and will receive their tires early next week, so expect to see results soon.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Sep 26, 2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

I just got mine yesterday. Id love to post the results soon but my car is a shell right now. Hopefully by late spring ill run them. Hey 9sec9, can you mount these either way? It appears to me that it wouldn't matter which side there facing.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xcelr8
I just got mine yesterday. Id love to post the results soon but my car is a shell right now. Hopefully by late spring ill run them. Hey 9sec9, can you mount these either way? It appears to me that it wouldn't matter which side there facing.
They aren't directional. Just choose whether you prefer white lettering showing or black walls
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Got a set of these tires for a customer today. The sidewall is MUCH softer then the BFG or MT drag radial. I think they are going to work well. Hopefully we will have some results in the next week or so.

Keith
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:22 AM
Former Sponsor

We ran three 11's last night with a best of 11.726 @ 114.56 with a 1.654 60' on a cold track. With 29 psi in the tires they had plenty of bite. Still getting used to the clutch, tires, and additional two step, but the 60's are falling each time we go out. The engine set up is the same, filter, MBC, 9sec9 tune. Indy
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Why only 29psi? Won't they grip better at a lower psi? I know with a street tire people run around 18-20psi and slicks maybe a little bit lower than that.(I don't know the psi for a slick) Isn't it the higher the psi the higher the MPH and the lower psi a better ET?

Last edited by FL_SilverEvo8; Sep 30, 2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TurbotrixRacing
Got a set of these tires for a customer today. The sidewall is MUCH softer then the BFG or MT drag radial. I think they are going to work well. Hopefully we will have some results in the next week or so.

Keith

Id have to agree with u. I got a set today and whoever said they have stiff sidewalls is crazy and really hasnt seen them. These tires are SOFT!
I should have some results Next week with them also
Old Sep 30, 2009, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

As soon as Tom is able and returns to the forum, we will post all the available data from our runs.

Our thoughs and prayers go out to Tom and his family at this time.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Sep 30, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 04:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Here are the Hoosier's mounted on BBS MR wheels, we test fit this combo the first day we received the tires.

So far the tires have been very consistant in many track conditions. It's been a steep learning curve in many aspects with my car tuning for a new clutch and tire, but we are getting it figured out and the 60's are now starting to drop.

Jr. from The Shop will be testing a set this weekend at Englishtown, along with Cwill in Florida, Keith from Turbotrix, and Patrick B on the West Coast. Indy
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SloRice, I'll respond to some of your facts. As for Jeff's car, his own words to David in front of me when David asked him about how they performed vs his previous best, "These were my BEST 60' times I've ever gotten on this turbo setup". David even said that Jeff was a good driver. I don't know about you, but Jeff's words concerning his testing in a few short runs is a better indication of how they performed for HIM than your evaluation.

As for StreethisEvo's runs. His comments were, "My best 60' ever was on the MC slicks and that was 1.52. On only his 2nd pass (maybe 3rd) he made a 1.57 60' and we were testing the tire pressures at the time. That's not too shabby either.

As far as me and Buschur Racing camp, David and I have had our own conversations about many outside issues, not 1 of which has anything to do with posting here concerning the tires. I respect David for what he says and his years of experience. Just because we don't always agree on everything doesn't mean that we are at odds with each other. Hell, my son, daughter, wife, brothers, in-laws, out-laws and others don't always agree with me, but that doesn't mean that I don't respect them and listen to what they say.

One last comment concerning your evaluations. I've noticed you put all of your eggs into the 60' basket. What do you think about the taller tire sizing, the lighter weight, the ability to run higher psi and lower the rolling resistence, the more flexible sidewalls, the 11.72 ET, the numerous 115-116.5 MPH runs. Any of those aspects have any affect on performance and the resulting numbers?

Quick Reply: Hoosier 245/45/17 Drag Radial a reality!