Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Diagnose my 1/4 mile slips please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tlcoll1
I'm not "blaming" the tune per-se, and I believe you when you say everything was fine 'n dandy when you got the tune. But then you went to the track on a different day, with different weather conditions and drove the car in a way that (I'm betting) was wholly unlike the way the car was tuned. Most tunes are done as a full pull in 3rd or 4th, on a dyno or on the street. That's not how drag racing works, and I've personally seen massive differences between knock on different days and under different circumstances with no changes in the tune. Your tune should have picked up 20-30 HP up top, and instead your drag runs indicate less HP than before. With no mechanical changes and only a short time between tune and drag strip, there's no other explanation other than knock, which I've personally seen zap 50 HP.

Folks that "get tuned" and go out and run great times either have a car that's very knock-tolerant, or they've got a very conservative tune and hit just the right weather combination. As I said, without a good engine management system where you can see what's going on and tweak the tune as you run, you end up just where you are now: "something's wrong" and there's no real way to diagnose what.

Tom
Well as much as I know and requested, my tune is very conservative. Only thing that I can think of that will cause knock in my case is maybe from the 2 step. But I could be wrong.

Well more update:

I did a compression test today and all the cylinders were fine within 1 psi difference from one another. I only cranked it to 7 revolutions which gave me 144 psi for all the cylinders (only 1 psi variations). Usually you can just do a couple revolutions or keep cranking till it stabalizes.

Hopefully the Buschur shifter bushings come in soon so I can install them. After reading some reviews they're supposed to make shifting a lot smoother. As of right now shifting is on the hard crunchy side.