Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Spark Tech sponsored 4g63 Dragster goes 7.39@176

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice!
Craig is your COP for evo 8 sequential too? What are advantage on running sequential?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:17 AM
Former Sponsor

^We have both wasted spark and sequential systems available for Evo 1-9.

There are a few advantages to going sequential and one of the most important would be.

1. being able to retard the critical/leanest cylinder by a couple degrees thus adding a little safety margin to that cylinder.

Here is a simple example..lets say you are constantly blowing head gaskets around cyl#1. With the sequential system you can retard only that cyl which could potentially reduce/eliminate that problem (of course afr's need to be in check)

This is not possible with a wasted spark system as it fires 2cylinders at a time...Sequential only fires 1 cyl at a time...hence the name Sequential (in sequence)

Our sequential systems are also 2 times more powerful as our Pro-12 wasted spark systems
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Just heard from Tony at track side...unfortunately track conditions have deteriorated and they are done for the day.

Congrats on your new personal best. We look forward to seeing you guys breaking the 6sec barrier in the near future
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited by billsIXmr; Aug 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Hopefully it's just a blown out dipstick
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Last edited by billsIXmr; Aug 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

All in a days racing...Keep in mind this is a dragster and in top fuel they rebuild their motors every pass. This is their first motor...not bad.

I'm still awaiting word from Tony on what happened.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SparkTech
^We have both wasted spark and sequential systems available for Evo 1-9.

There are a few advantages to going sequential and one of the most important would be.

1. being able to retard the critical/leanest cylinder by a couple degrees thus adding a little safety margin to that cylinder.

Here is a simple example..lets say you are constantly blowing head gaskets around cyl#1. With the sequential system you can retard only that cyl which could potentially reduce/eliminate that problem (of course afr's need to be in check)

This is not possible with a wasted spark system as it fires 2cylinders at a time...Sequential only fires 1 cyl at a time...hence the name Sequential (in sequence)

Our sequential systems are also 2 times more powerful as our Pro-12 wasted spark systems
Can this sequential be plug and play? or need adjustments on the EMS?
Also there is 2 kinds of sequential in your site? Whats the diff?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very nice dragster, Craig.

Congratulations to the guys on their new times.
SparK Tech taking the car to the next level
Old Aug 30, 2009, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evovin
Can this sequential be plug and play? or need adjustments on the EMS?
Also there is 2 kinds of sequential in your site? Whats the diff?
It is not PnP as you will have to connect the 4 cylinder triggers to your standalone ecu's individual cylinder outputs. You will also have to select sequential in standalone ecu setup. It does come with complete instructions that make it very user friendly thou. Sequential is only compatible with standalone ecu's with 4 channels/outputs.

We do have 2 options for sequential systems. The dragster in this thread runs the M&W Pro Drag-4 cdi 250millijoules. This unit can only be used for DRAG ONLY as it will overheat in street applications. Click HERE for a link to this unit

If you have a street car and are looking for the ultimate Ignition suitable for street duties...look no further that the Pro-14 115millijoules sequential system. Click HERE for a link to this unit.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the kind words and posting the updates Craig. It was a great day at the track and we owe a lot of that to SparkTech.

I'll go back to last week when Craig and I began talking about the ignition setup. Craig knew his coils would get the car where it needed to be so we started discussing what we needed to work in the dragster. I was a little slow getting him some information so we weren't able to get the kit together until Thursday of this week for the car. Craig overnighted the system to us so that we could have it for an event this weekend. Unfortunately, the event was rained out on Friday and Saturday but we were able to go make test passes today.

I got the system and was amazed with the quality in the wiring in this thing. I already had an M&W box in the car so Craig included everything I needed to directly connect to my existing box. I had to simply swap out my 4 trigger wires and we fired the car up. Top notch work!

As Craig said above, we were having some ignition breakup issues at higher boost in the car. With the SparkTech coils we were able to run 51 PSI for the first time with no ignition breakup at all and ran a new best ET and MPH, right off the trailer! Second pass we didn't bother swapping plugs (we previously were swapping just about every run) and it ran clean as can be again.

I can't forget the other people that help us out though, without them we wouldn't be where we are right now. Kiggly Racing, Extreme PSI, AEM, Fuel Injector Clinic and Hamm's Machine Shop.

On with the part you've all been waiting for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMqJpopykxs
Old Aug 30, 2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by SparkTech
We do have 2 options for sequential systems. The dragster in this thread runs the M&W Pro Drag-4 cdi 250millijoules. This unit can only be used for DRAG ONLY as it will overheat in street applications. Click HERE for a link to this unit
Wait, so you're saying we can't drive the car on the street now because of this ignition?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor

^Tony please no more trips to the grocery store in this beast

Man that video was top notch...It pulled the wheels and hauled a$$
Old Aug 30, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Whoever does their vid's doesn't rep sparktech enough in them.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you guys need to improve your 60'

Quick Reply: Spark Tech sponsored 4g63 Dragster goes 7.39@176