Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Roll cage in a DD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rdwngs44
mine is a dd with a 6 point, backseat is worthless and it's harder to get in and out... it's all welded up. The only real issue is getting in an accident without a helmet, you are pretty much dead if you hit your head on the roll bar. and you might look funny wearing a helmet to the grocery store!
HAHA

I would'nt wear one for the thrill (to the crocery store), but I sure as **** would for the cause
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to see some pics of everyones roll cages...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ll-cage-2.html
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

dd for over a year 86golf. i had to cut out the cross bar so i didnt have to hop in like a mad man every 5 seconds

Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:44 AM

^at least you had padding on yours

running a roll cage in a daily driver is not good imo

if something happens, you get in an accident and for whatever reason you hit your head off one of the bars youre pretty much dead

unless you daily drive with a helmet its not a very good idea
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Ill take some pics of it. The car is under 1 foot of snow. I'll clean it up one day and post up some pics.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome thanks man. I'll be putting padding on mine so I won't have to worry about catching a bar to the skull during an accident. Is it just those foam noodles people have in their pools or is something made specifically for it?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

ok this is the end all post for drag roll bars and cages.

This is what you need to run 11.49 to 10.00 this should suit most evo owners.
Tubing is 1 3/4" 0.83 thick 4130 chromoly.Theres certain areas that you can use smaller tubing but i want to keep it simple so everyone has an idea what they need.5 and 6 point roll bars same are also legal for these ets.135mph or faster need cage.

This is a 10 point roll cage can be made of 1 5/8".This is needed for 9.99 to 8.50 or faster then 135 mph.Basically its roll bar plus roof hoop and windshield bars.A window net is needed for this setup.along with Nhra competition license and a few other things.Any quicker then 8.50 the rules vary (stock floor,steel firewall).Basically adding more tubing.

This here is an optional swing out.I highly recomend this for street driven cars.The advantage of this is that it swings out by just removing a pin.The one thing i like the most about swing outs is that you can remove the entire bar from car and store it in garage or trunk.When you go to track just bolt it back up.note this is good only to 8.50 et.

Here are a couple clean cage pics you cant even see it.

My race car just to show how complicated things can get this cage setup will be certified to 6.00 when its done.not that its gonna run in the 6s but it'll be quicker the 7.49

Last edited by Gordian79; Feb 1, 2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Something for you guys to look into...

If you're using the factory seats you can use the Binary seat brackets and lower your seats to give your head some more clearance from the halo bar.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gordian79
That Auto power roll bar is not legal for drag racing.It cannot be bolt in.They can be made to fit in your dd allowing use of back seat.Ill post some pics later on.
Just wanted to point out that your statement is a bit mis-leading as you CAN indeed bolt in a 5/6 point cage as well as an 8/10 so long as you follow the specs mandated by the NHRA assuming you will be racing at an NHRA sanctioned track/event.

You can use 6x6" plating and specific size hardware to make it legal.

No you don't nee more than 5 points if you are slower than 10.00 and not faster than 135mph.

Pick up an NHRA handbook or feel free to ask as i have one sitting in my Evo at all times lol.

If you guys like look up my screen name in the show-n-shine section as i had my thread on the fab work for my 5 point set-up which shows how i did mine w/ the ability to add more points in the future
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Just wanted to point out that your statement is a bit mis-leading as you CAN indeed bolt in a 5/6 point cage as well as an 8/10 so long as you follow the specs mandated by the NHRA assuming you will be racing at an NHRA sanctioned track/event.

You can use 6x6" plating and specific size hardware to make it legal.

No you don't nee more than 5 points if you are slower than 10.00 and not faster than 135mph.

Pick up an NHRA handbook or feel free to ask as i have one sitting in my Evo at all times lol.

If you guys like look up my screen name in the show-n-shine section as i had my thread on the fab work for my 5 point set-up which shows how i did mine w/ the ability to add more points in the future
what i mean is bolt together cage like autopower.once you put in main hoop in rear bars and seat bar that all has to be welded.only swing outs can be bolt on.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the basic roll bar needed for 11.49 to 10.00 .Note its 1 3/4" tubing.some people opt to get full cage since you can use smaller 1 5/8" tubing.Imo most evos that would require roll bars trap pretty high that i would just go with full cage from the gate.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

what i mean is bolt together cage like autopower.once you put in main hoop in rear bars and seat bar that all has to be welded.only swing outs can be bolt on.
I knew you were just trying to convey that
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the basic roll bar needed for 11.49 to 10.00 .Note its 1 3/4" tubing.some people opt to get full cage since you can use smaller 1 5/8" tubing.Imo most evos that would require roll bars trap pretty high that i would just go with full cage from the gate.
mine is going in next week. waiting for the 1-3/4" to arraive. Mine will be mounted were its most ridgid, right over the main subframe ( right in front of the rear seats). sucks to be that far back but it means i dont have to weld 6x6 plates on the bottom and interoir. I will ask if he can take pics while its being done, if not ill be posting up some before i paint and put the padding in.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

You'll need the plates for unibody car.there's no frame to weld to.

Quick Reply: Roll cage in a DD