Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

quarter mile times and trap speed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010 | 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Pat whats your 60 foots?
Old Aug 3, 2010 | 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
Pat whats your 60 foots?
Typically in the 1.51-1.59 range on the Hoosier QTP's

I've yet to hit a 1.4x but maybe that will change with the MT's
Old Aug 3, 2010 | 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Typically in the 1.51-1.59 range on the Hoosier QTP's

I've yet to hit a 1.4x but maybe that will change with the MT's
HA i could only wish for close to that. next trip out im going to try to do a burn out and then race. idk wtf im doing. HA . nice times.
Old Aug 4, 2010 | 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

HA i could only wish for close to that. next trip out im going to try to do a burn out and then race. idk wtf im doing. HA . nice times.
Actually it seems like you grasp the concept just fine Dan

You'll hear mixed reviews on the burnout some say it's not needed while some like to remove some of the debris from the tires w/ a quick burnout.

I've tried it all different ways 1st gear / 2nd gear / no burnout at all you name it.....

It also depends on if you're out there on a normal radial tire or something more specific for drag racing as even though we can't do a long enough burnout to get significant heat in the tire i do believe in trying to get some in there whilst removing pit area debris........but that's just my technique.
Old Aug 4, 2010 | 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Actually it seems like you grasp the concept just fine Dan

You'll hear mixed reviews on the burnout some say it's not needed while some like to remove some of the debris from the tires w/ a quick burnout.

I've tried it all different ways 1st gear / 2nd gear / no burnout at all you name it.....

It also depends on if you're out there on a normal radial tire or something more specific for drag racing as even though we can't do a long enough burnout to get significant heat in the tire i do believe in trying to get some in there whilst removing pit area debris........but that's just my technique.
Thanks for the complement. I am trying really hard.

Island dragway pit lines are covered in crap. Sand pebbles and other "run down" parking lot type stuff. Ill do what you said and give them a little spin and then line up.

Ignore my stupidness but is the burn out done just like a launch or is there a different technique for it? I admit I don't know how to do one as I never have. Ha ok u all can laugh now.
Old Aug 8, 2010 | 12:36 PM

After some improvements reached 9.675 @ 147 mph. 60ft was 1.57 - I have had better ones, but the track was covered with some rubber which behaved completely unpredictable and everyone had average 60ft times. Also, it was hot - close to 100, therefore I am really satisfied with the result.

And thank you all for advices. These were all heard and used to improve the times.
Old Aug 9, 2010 | 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Prosppeed
After some improvements reached 9.675 @ 147 mph. 60ft was 1.57 - I have had better ones, but the track was covered with some rubber which behaved completely unpredictable and everyone had average 60ft times. Also, it was hot - close to 100, therefore I am really satisfied with the result.

And thank you all for advices. These were all heard and used to improve the times.
So what did you attribute as the key factor to getting the et/mph back into the expected range for your set-up?

Congrats on the new ET it's very impressive............i hope i can do the same.

Do you have any vids of the pass?

Old Aug 9, 2010 | 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Ignore my stupidness but is the burn out done just like a launch or is there a different technique for it? I admit I don't know how to do one as I never have. Ha ok u all can laugh now.
Yes a burn out is just like a launch.
Old Aug 9, 2010 | 11:14 AM

So what did you attribute as the key factor to getting the et/mph back into the expected range for your set-up?

Congrats on the new ET it's very impressive............i hope i can do the same.

Do you have any vids of the pass?

Thanks! There were spectators around, hopefully someone had taken any vids. If I find any, will post.

Definitely u can do the same, just keep concentration and dont give up.

There were several things we did the same time, therefore difficult to say, which attributed most. These were:
- i concentrated on my gear switching (noticed, diff between good and bad was about 0.3 sec )
- softened the rear diff - this spoiled the 60ft, however paid off at the trap speed
- increased boost and ign advance - definitely the main factor overall.
Old Aug 9, 2010 | 11:28 AM

Here is a vid from the same race with my biggest competitor on Audi setting 9.1 - the world record for audi S2. We met in finals and the race was terribly amazing (but unfortunately, I lost). If i find any vid with that, will post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QotkeLP9ylE
Old Aug 9, 2010 | 12:14 PM

Some vids including 1 of 2 9.6 runs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMDxY...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JAXr...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKgc4...eature=related
Old Aug 9, 2010 | 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Great job w/ the 9 sec passes thanks again for the vids.

Your Evo sounds nasty with lumpy cams in there

By the way how much boost do you leave the line with? And do they give you 1/8th mi incrementals?