Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

First time 1/4 mile in my EVO V RS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First time 1/4 mile in my EVO V RS

Ok guys, I posted this in my tuning progress thread but its probably better to post here. So this Sunday was my first time in the 1/4 mile. I wish I could have reached the 11´s, but for now I´ll have to settle with a 12.15 ET. The timing equipment in Peru is limited, so we only get ET, TT and RT; I can guestimate my trap speed around 112 to 115 from what I saw at the speedo...

I ended placing third in the 12 sec category, my friends wanted to kill me cause I only lost because my reaction time sucked at 0.52 sec and the other guy beat me by 0.07 sec in the TT. I did crank the boost just a bit to reach 25 psi in every gear, this same MBC setting later on a regular street pull gave a 28 psi peak, so not that much more than what I have already been running.

Shifting was done with NLTS. I think with winter weather I could have dipped into the 11´s, right now its about 86 °F. Oh well, I´d love to hear comments to help me get into the 11´s with my current setup, and how much do you guys think the GSC S2´s will help? (Installing them in shortly). Oh, and my setup will remain mainly for Autox, but I´ll keep visiting the 1/4 mile events as well.

My car makes about 360 whp/ 338 wtq using VD in Dynojet mode, total weight with me is around 2977 lb.

Cheers,

Ricardo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKiZh4GlzOs&hd=1
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Not bad!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the comment s.e.a.n., next time I will test with harder launches and maybe lower pressure in the tires, I was running them at 28 psi cold. Tires are Advan semi sleeks 60 threadware.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice runs for your time first out...No speakers on my work computer, were you using a 2 step, what is it set to? I highly suggest the S2 cams, great all around cam...
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks 06MREvo, yes I´m using 2 step setup for the Evo V,VI ECU, similar to Tephra. Stationary rev limit is 4300 rpm, with 4000 rpm start Antilag (not quite real antilag), whith 11 AFR and 4 ° timing as targets, if I go to negative timing or a higher stationary rev it builds more boost but I don´t want to risk breaking my TC or rear differential.

With these settings and only pressing like 50 - 60 % throttle I get about 5 - 6 psi for the launch, car doesn´t bog at all and pulls hard up to rev limit cut.

Should have the GSC S2´s installed in a few weeks at most, just waiting for the Evo 8 trigger bolt that is needed to install in my car.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice man!!!!!!!!! congrats!!!

Time of 60 ft????

it´s evo 5 but you convert the right hand drive to left hand drive?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Timing equipment is still limited in Peru, so we don´t get the 60 ft times or the trap speed. The car is LHD from the factory, 17 LHD Evo V RS where imported to Peru straight from Japan in 1998, now there are less than 10 in operating conditions. We do have some other Evo V, VI, VII, and VIII that where imported from Japan as RHD and then converted to LHD here.

Your car looks very nice, I haven´t seen an Evo IV in Peru.

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool vid. That's a great run and the car sounds really good. Can't wait to get in some drag runs this year.
Old May 22, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Almost into the 11´s

Hi guys, today was my second time at the track, best ET was 12.03. Maybe next time it will happen, at least I shaved 0.12 second from last time.

http://youtu.be/1r_qHSdyllA

Changes to the car from last time are: 3" V-band conversion to the Titek O2, tighter WGA preload to hold a little better boost up top, and some smoothing of the tune.

I´m really tempted to get a 4.11 FD to better stay in the 4th gear powerband, currently crossing the line at almost 7.5 K rpm. Or maybe I could try shifting into 5th and see if that helps or not.

All in all, I´m happy with the progress,

Ricardo

Last edited by RJSP; May 22, 2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 22, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Felicitaciones Ricardo!!! I just built my 2.0 engine with manley pistons and tt rods , I am waiting to tune it and go to the track!

Carlos,
Old May 23, 2011, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Gracias Carlos!! Little by little I´m trying to get better times. These results are not too impressive to what we see here in EvoM, but in Peru where the fastest car (a Drag only V8 in Studebaker shell) does 10.2 ET, my car is considered fast, specialy for a stock turbo, stock cams, and 98 ron fuel. I´m really happy I joined this forum as it has been a wealth of information for improving the car.

A couple of friend are working on mixing ethanol with 95 ron fuel and some additive to get E85 in the near future! Turns out Peru is an ethanol exporter but we get none for the local market because the government promotes the use of natural gas for vehicles.

Your car seems to be very nicely setup from the mods on your sig!

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Jul 5, 2011, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

3rd time at the drag strip... 11´s!!!

Hi guys, this last Sunday was my third time at the track, best ET was 11.96. The tune is basically the same, just changed the Evo5 compressor cover (56mm) to an Evo7 compressor cover (64mm) and redid the fueling were necesary. Improved the hotside porting as well.

The car was breaking up a bit and this was the best it behaved, I´m sure there is more left in it. This time I also launched slightly preloading the clutch/drivetrain with the handbrake.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ExykHFPU3k

What would you Guys guesstimate my 60 ft time was? (I don´t know cause the timing equipment here doesn´t meassure it).

Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^Awesome...great job on 11s man!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 05:11 PM

nice video, great time
Old Jul 7, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey!! congrats nice video!!!!!!!!!! 11´s club!!!! I have an evo 4. I made a dataloog and my car put only 320 whp (total weight like 3200 pounds) so, that´s mean that only have like 300whp in my car and put 12.3 seconds with bad 60 ft (2.0 secodns =S) so, i don´t know with better traction can put it 11.9.. Lo que quiero decir RJSP el caballe no importa, (claro que importa) but no es todo! those times was with evo 9 turbo (10.5t) alky and cams, now I have a FP Black, better cams and forged, what do you think about my possile times??? Eo 4 is lighter that Evo 5 right?

Quick Reply: First time 1/4 mile in my EVO V RS