Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Running 10's in a Road Race/Autocross EVO?? Oh yeah!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Running 10's in a Road Race/Autocross EVO?? Oh yeah!

I took my Pure Tuning/Showcase Mitsubishi EVO 9 RS to MidMichigan Motorplex yesterday for a little drag strip test-n-tune. Weather was about 65*, overcast.

I was running the car in the same setup that won the NASA TTU National Championship a couple of weeks ago - with the following changes:

- remove splitter/wing/undertray
- change shock settings a couple clicks
- removed rear sway bar
- Girodisc ultralite 2-piece brake rotors vs. standard 2-piece Girodiscs
- using Hoosier QTP's in place of the Hoosier A6's

Things that were the same:

- CBRD BBK Full
- GSC S1 MIVEC cams
- stock bottom end/intake mani/tb/head
- Exedy Compe-R ultralite twin plate clutch
- road race alignment (-3.25* camber front, -1.75* camber rear)
- roll bar installed (60#)
- Ohlins shocks (900#f/1000#r)
- same stock ECU tune that I use for road racing
- a big spare tire in the driver's seat

I started with about 22psi in the Hoosier QTP's. On my 2nd pass I set a new PB - 10.6xx - a full 3 tenths faster than I had run last year with the FP Green. I dropped a few PSI from the tires and went back out and ran a 10.5xx pass. The car still was not hooking up very well, so I lowered the QTP's all the way down to 15psi and went back to the line. There was a lot of grit in the parking lot and I was having bad wheel spin when simply driving around the water box and going straigh to the line. This time I decided to try something different.

I drove around the water box, got the car straight, then backed up to just in front of the waterbox. Clutch in, gas in, on the 2-step, slip the clutch. Got a nice litte mini-burnout to clean off the tires. Rolled to the line, hit the pre stage, hit the stage . . . go time! The car launched hard, just a bit of wheel spin but then hooked up. Everything seemed to be in slow motion. I banged through the gears shifting just before 8000 rpm . . . end result - 10.414 @ 133.0mph

Here is a video of some of my earlier runs. I made over 20 passes all together but my memory card filled up after only about 10 runs. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0nGFXyzzt4

================================================== ========

Here is where I have to pay respect to those shops and parts that came together to make this car what it is. I think it truly is a "do-it-all" race car with only a few tweeks from one type of racing to another.

First off - the AMAZING CBRD BBK-Full! Chad, thank you for bringing this to the EVO community. It is actually a much better drag turbo than my old Green. The Green HP peak was about 6300rpm, then fell off HARD up top. The BBK on my setup makes peak power right around 7000 rpm and does not fall off much all the way out to 8K. This give ALOT more Area Under the Curve and gets your car down the track in a hurry!

Next - Jon @ TRE. I can't say enough about his work. After some missing fluid issues during One Lap I had one worn out transfercase and one old tired one, with not enough funds to buy a new one. Jon took the best parts, fitted it all up and told me "I can't guarantee how long this will last. Hopefully it will get you through the next race weekend until you can get a proper TC in her". Well, that TC has been going on and on and on through 8 track days, 5 autocross days, and now 20+ hard launches with NLTS gear banging! Fantastic!! The transmission is just as awesome. Never a missed shift or a hint of a grind in any gear. I will be running both the TC and Trans next season to see just how long they will go. I got 4 full years of racing last time between transmission and TC refreshes, which were only done because of One Lap to make sure everything was good to go for the 4000 mile adventure.

The clutch. I am running an ultralite Exedy Hyper Compe-R which is designed more for road racing than drag racing. I've been using ONLY Exedy twin plate clutches in my EVOs for 7 years now and have NO plans to change. This thing worked fabulously. I hotlapped the thing back to back to back, sometimes 5 runs in a row, flat-foot shifting most of the time - and it never balked once. It was really easy to slip right off the line and shifted super-fast at 8000rpm with NO lockout, even after 20 punishing runs.

Pure Tuning. If you ever have a need for a tune and can make it to Northern Ohio, I would recommend giving Keith a call. I've had the pleasure of working with many different tuners over the years, and there's a reason I've been with Pure Tuning for the past 4 years. In that time we've won 2 Autocross National Championships, a NASA TT National Champioship, ran a 10.9 on an FP Green, and a 10.4 on a BBK - ALL on the stock bottom end and head. He has been able to give me amazing power delivery while keeping my stock motor alive after thousands of runs to 8000rpm!

So, plans for the future - take another couple hundred pounds of of the car, crank up the boost, get a better alignment and some fresher, stickier QTP's and have a go for the 9's !!

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Sep 26, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any idea what it weighs? I'm guessing it's pretty light. As it looks pretty well stripped...

Also how much power is it making?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GOOD STUFF!

I never do any 1/4 mile-

I actually may run our car shortly-

at 2750-2800 lbs and 550whp it should rip pretty good without even a launch.

cb
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Car is 3000 pounds with driver, so by no means the lightest thing out there.

450whp/400tq last time we dyno'd it. Probably making a bit more torque now.

Chad, you should take the TA car to the strip! With those numbers it should be a screamer!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once again great job man!! I would bet $$$ if you went to a more drag friendly alignment & a more aggressive drag style tune you would be knocking on 9s with a BBK Full!!

Chad, is this the fastest BBK Full so far? AWD ran 10.5s right?

ps...Looks like your clutch held up great after 20 passes using NLTS as well!

Last edited by B.J.@ToxicFab; Sep 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice work!! Man I have to get a set of those QTP's!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Nice example of NLST it shows up real nice on the vid, and your getting faster!! Thanks for sharing!!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by B.J.@ToxicFab
Once again great job man!! I would bet $$$ if you went to a more drag friendly alignment & a more aggressive drag style tune you would be knocking on 9s with a BBK Full!!

Chad, is this the fastest BBK Full so far? AWD ran 10.5s right?

ps...Looks like your clutch held up great after 20 passes using NLTS as well!
Next year I will optimize the drag setup and give it another go.

BTW, AWD ran a 10.2 @ 136 with a BBK last year. . .

Even hotlapping 5 or 6 passes in a row, the Exedy twin held up like a champ!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah it doesnt get mentioned much anymore

hee he-

cb
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, I was not using the NLTS mod for the stock ECU. That was just plain old quick shifting with the normal rev limiter set to 8K rpm. Launch limiter I think we had set to 5500 or 6000 rpm. . .
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:53 PM

thats a pretty impressive 60' given the very negative camber settings the car has.

cant be stopping, turning, and being able to rip off a low 10 second pass.

good work!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What fuel, injectors and air filter?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Is that an open faced helmet that you're wearing on your noggin? Just a thought, if you are knocking on the nines, I'd rather it be a full coverage helmet. Install a full cage as well, Bro. Other than that...Nice job!

Last edited by sparky; Sep 27, 2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
What fuel, injectors and air filter?
Using some normal 1200cc injectors (PTE, RC, etc) and an ARC airbox with the ARC foam filters, running E85 from the local Meijer grocery store.

A cage in on the list for next year, but I don't know about the full face helmet. I get claustrophobic. Heck, rally drivers wear open face so they can't be THAT bad

Here is a pic from tonight. Had to grab some cash before running to the grocery store to pick up some tasty beverages . . .

Hmmm. . . somethings seems to be missing. . . oh yeah - CBRD stickers! Am I going to have to make up my own again Chad

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Sep 27, 2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

OK. I see in the liquor store holdup(JK) pic that your car is equipped with a roll bar. So, as your surrogate grandpa I feel more at ease! LOL....I hadn't seen the bar in the earlier pics or the vids.

I just don't like open face personally because of a motorbike accident when my face met the pavement which left me looking like the patchwork kid. But, you are right about rally drivers using open faced helmets. Just take care and keep the shiny side up, Bro.

Quick Reply: Running 10's in a Road Race/Autocross EVO?? Oh yeah!