Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

no lift shift

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no lift shift

i was just wondering how many evo us the no lift shift? nls option???? I've used a few times its just a diff type of driving.
im scared of breaking something in the tranny.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

I have it set up in my AEM and use it all of the time
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:07 AM

If you have it in your tune then its better, but even then I wouldn't do it, you would only be cutting down fractions of seconds, is it worth a new tranny?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fractions of seconds is what 1/4 mile times are made of.

it puts a lot of stress on things. if you aren't running one of the really good clutches, and not on built trans etc., i wouldn't recommend it if you have a lot of HP/TQ. If your car is well prepped, go for it. But know **** can break any time, and a high stress time like NLTS is the mroe likely time.

more specific to OP's question; I usually NLTS racing. I do not have it enabled in the ECU
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The NLTS patch by tephra should actually reduce stress on the drivetrain since there isn't as much of a shock when you release the clutch. Compare the shock you feel when doing a fast lift shift vs a fast no-lift shift. the no-lift feels smoother.

Here's how Jack_of_Trades (AKA Jamie from Dynotech Tuning) kindly explained it to me 2 years ago:

It has been discussed in detail in the forums many times however its probably mixed in with a bunch of other threads. In a nutshell, keeping the power curve more consistent by holding boost between shifts and having the fastest shifts possible keeps the preload on the drivetrain gears engaged more. When granny shifting you lose all boost (which hurts performance between shifts) and takes slightly longer to shift. During this time the preload on the drivetrain gears will drop rather quickly. Once you re-engage the the clutch and mash the gas, the slack in the drivetrain will now abruptly slap closed and that is like hitting the head of two hammers together very hard. Thats as best as I can explain it since its not an area I consider myself to be an expert lol.

Its similar to the rule about launching at the 1/4 mile track. If you were to try and roll forward to trip the pre-stage lights and you went too far, some people pop it in reverse and roll back until they trip the lights correctly and stop right there. This is a horrible thing to do. Since you went in reverse, you have the gears preloaded against the back side of the gear teeth. When you launch the car the gears will quickly slam into the FRONT of the teeth, closing the gear lash gap abruptly with a great deal of force. This has been responsible for MANY broken drivetrain parts at the starting line.

If you ever drive too far past the pre-stage area, roll back a few feet past the pre-stage lights and then re-approach the lights again in 1st gear to pre-load the gear lash on the front of the gears teeth. Now when you launch it just 'moves' instead of a violent SLAM, then it begins to move.

Here is an example. Have someone hold their fist out firmly with a straight arm and have them stand 1 foot in front of you. Tell them to fall forward will all of their weight so their fist makes contact with your chest. When they make contact with you, its gonna hurt during impact....then its gonna push you backward a little.

Now have them do the same thing but this time have them lean forward just until their fist is making contact with your chest. Now have them lean all of their weight forward. This time the force from their weigh will still move your body backwards, only without the violent impact just before you get pushed back.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

i use it all the time, stock tranny,tephra v7
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It really is one of my favorite things experiencing in my car. The gaplessness of the power is amazing. Ive got it enabled in my car, stock ECU with tephra on a built shep 5spd with an exedy triple.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using it for years. Shep rebuilt trans, v7, OLDDD 6 puck clutch. In my opinion it definitely makes shifting smoother and helps you stay in your powerband. And yes, no violent slam like traditional shifting.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Should be fine man, rock it!