Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

California Speedway

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2004, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Speedway

Props go out to all the EVO owners who showed up today at California Speedway in Fontana and straight represented. You guys put on a show today, and I have to give you all props for that. Most EVOs were running anywhere from low 12s to low 13s. EVOs were straight deep today, I counted eight EVOs, and that may not sound like much, but when compared to only two WRXs, one WRX STI, three 300ZXs, one Supra, one RX-7, four 350Zs, three Vipers, three Corvettes, and one RX-8, eight EVOs is a lot. Only the SRT-4 community was as deep as EVOs today (not counting the Hondas, Mustangs, and Camaros). Major props go out to IE EVO who had his way with that snake (a Viper) he was talking about. I'm sure he'll tell you all about it. Great job today! Can't wait for the day I'm out there battling with you guys .

Last edited by 3000ways; May 29, 2004 at 11:39 PM.
Old May 30, 2004, 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

3000ways,Not really proud about beating a Viper running a best of 13.5. I believe their were four Evos in the 12s,a couple low 13s and a couple high 13s. BTW Did you come out to the pits and hang out. Smog and I talk to about anybody that comes by to chat. 12.4 at 110mph is exactly what I expected to get at Fontucky so I am semi satisfied. Btw it was fun meeting all the Evo owners and chating. Also the Evo owner that let my Viper friend use your helmet thanx. It was fun but I do not think Fontucky is as fun as Ghettosbad Raceway and it should be fun to all get together in a couple of weeks and have the potential to shave a lil time off of our Ets,
Old May 30, 2004, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

haha no problem about the helmet. hey i got a 13.2 on my last two runs. i guess i am gettin used to lauching. Thats not bad for just a turbo back right and intake rigth?
Old May 30, 2004, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

and thanks to smogrunner for the lauching tips. big help
Old May 30, 2004, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Sideways, for those two mods that is an awesome time. You appear to be a better driver than most. Your timeslip reflected that.
Old May 30, 2004, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

It was nice to hang out with the large crowd of EVO's yesterday. It was my first time back to racing in over a year and my very first time running an EVO. Made 2 runs in smogs car, 12.409 at 111 and 12.308 at 110. Not bad for a NOOB on a couple of shake down runs j/k. Loved the feeling of that 1.71 60 ft time though.
Old May 30, 2004, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=IE Evo]3000ways,Not really proud about beating a Viper running a best of 13.5. 12.4 at 110mph is exactly what I expected to get QUOTE]

Nice runs, what was the trap speed on the 13.5 second viper? Was he at least running good traps?

Keith
Old May 30, 2004, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Keith,
The Viper was just under 110mph. I have mixed emotions about last night. I'm proud of my car 12.30/110 in a STRONG headwind (as all who were there will attest), but I was only able to manage 12.5/110 in my car. My buddy and neighbor, Audi2pzero, can drive his *** off, so props to him. I'm shifting at too high an rpm (7500). I'll tone it down next time and shift at 7200. My car also hit the 111mph trap speed on a 12.40 run.

Only one dynoflashed car looked good. It was Statix (screenname). He had 272's, full exhaust, mbc, and a custom dynoflash for 100 octane. He did a best of 12.6/109. (edited, sorry Statix) That was as apples to apples as you could get to Vishnu's 1+. As you can see, it was competitive but not quite as fast.

Last edited by Smogrunner; May 30, 2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old May 30, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

after seeing ie's car and smogrunners car. i am going to go to vishu. hopefully i will be braking 12's too soon.
Old May 30, 2004, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

For sure, next time at Fontana or Carlsbad, I'll definitly try to make it down to the pitts to chat and see the cars that I dream of owning, I'll also try to video tape and post on web. I have a friend who has a B18c Civic, says his car can smoke EVOs, try to get him to come down to Carlsbad all the time, says Carlsbad is too far. So he said he'll try to make it to Fontana next month with his Civic crew. So I guess well see on that. But yeah definitly gonna try to get all the action on video.
Old May 30, 2004, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Actually, Best was a 12.6@109 with a crappy 1.9 60ft if it even matters. It was a fun and it was nice meeting you all. Hey smog, if and when you get a new clutch, what are you going with, my clutch is toast, almost didnt make it home. I will have to get a new one asap, so give me your thoughts or anyone for that matter.... thanks....peace....p.s. looking forward to carlsbad..
Old May 30, 2004, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Man this totally blows, my stupid stock clutch fried the day before the event so I couldn't go (I hate the stock clutch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I hope to make it there in June, without the stock clutch of course. Please tell me some of you will be there.
Old May 30, 2004, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm Sorry I didn't go to Fontana. It would have been nice to meet every one. I was so dissapointed the last couple of times I was there, I only got 2 runs in my V-6 Altima. How many runs did you all get in? I just got my Evo about 3 weeks ago and really wanted to get in a whole bunch of practice runs. I ended up going down to Carlsbad on Saturday. The weather was great and it wasn't crowded. I wanted to get some baseline runs bone stock with 91 octane. My best E.T was a 13.81 and my best MPH was a 100.40. I couldn't get the launch down right. My best 60 foot was a 1.93, the rest were in the 2.0-2.2 range. I got to practice on my launches, I did abuse the clutch some. I'll meet up you guys when you go down to Carlsbad. Maybe I'll have some mods by then, still deciding what to do.

Timeslips below:
Attached Thumbnails California Speedway-evotimeslips5-29-04webgif-1.gif   California Speedway-evotimeslips5-29-04webgif-2.gif  
Old May 30, 2004, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTio
I'm Sorry I didn't go to Fontana. It would have been nice to meet every one. I was so dissapointed the last couple of times I was there, I only got 2 runs in my V-6 Altima. How many runs did you all get in?

Timeslips below:

I think most were able to get in 3 runs for the day. Since me and smog were both running his car we were able to put in a run in each of our run groups so we got 4 runs total in his car plus I got to make an extra run in when I was asked to make a quick run in a chipped S4. Funny thing is that with all the racing smog has done with his car, his stock clutch seemed to hold my 5500+ clutch drop which ended up getting a nice 1.71 60 ft time.

If you guys are going to carlsbad on the 12th I might be able to make it, the only thing is that I have a huge audi/vw event(dubwars) to go to on the 13th up at button willow.
Old May 30, 2004, 05:36 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm the one with the White Evo hanging out with the black, yellow (IE Evo), and silver (Smogrunner). I got only 2 runs and the best one was 13.002 at 103.03. It was my first time ever to the drag. It was fun, a different fun than tracking (but tracking is fun too).
It was there that I realized that breaking into the 12s is not easy since I saw ton of cars with all kind of mods and performance upgraded but are happy with their high 13 and low 14 results. I'm really appreciate my Evo eventhrough it was not meant for drag race.
All of us Evos out there are really doing great and very friendly. Thank to the guy in black Evo a friendly companion into the drag since I'm a newbie there. The Vishu Evos of "Smogrunner" and "IE Evo" were really running great.
I beleive that I can make it into better time into the high 12s with the following factors:
1) I was a newbie so I came in the drag with an almost full tank of Mobil 91 gas (instead of 100 race gas with almost empty tanl).
2) I shifted too early in the first run and misshift from 3 to 4 in the second run (most of you may had experience this when shifting from 3 into 4th gear was bounced of like hitting as wall so you have to shift it again).
3) I have all kind of "junk" in my trunk, spare tire, subwoofer, jacket, clothes...
4) My clutch started slipping (17K on the car).
5) I'm not react good enough at the light since I was so nervous of the environment.

Here is my best time slip for your interest:
R/T ... 1.424
60' ... 1.734
330 ... 5.248
1/8 ... 8.262
1000 ... 10.829
1/4 ... 13.002
MPH ... 103.03

My mods: AVO Turboback, K&N drop-in, UR hi-flow, 272/264 HKS cams, APS BOV, boost-control to 1.5 BAR and Dynoflash.

Remember, I was running 91 gas not race gas. Hopefully, with race gas I'll able to get into 12s easily. Have a great memorial day to you.

Quick Reply: California Speedway