Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

using the hand brake?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
using the hand brake?

ok..my friend was driving his civic(and i know its just a civic) but when he pulls his hand brake..the rear tires get locked. i tried this on my lancer and it just applied the rear drums..then i slowed to a gradual stop. am i just doing something wrong or is it supposed to act like that

this might be a newb quesiton but im still experimenting with my driving
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:12 PM

when i pull my e-brake my rear wheels lock...are you just slowly pulling up on it or are you jerk it up hard? it you pull it quick then they should lock...but if you just pull it up slow and light then it will just slow you down....
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

i pull it up hard..maybe i should go a little faster when i do it ..i was going about 30 when i pull it and its just like they apply and my car stopped after about 5 feet. kind of anti-climatic
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

you gotta pull up HARD AND FAST!!!!
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

go fast....pull up hard..fast..maybe tap break a little bit the same time..so it gives a sudden stop for the car..and while the e-brake is up..it should locked up ur wheel..and check ur rear view mirror.. you shound see some white smokes...yay!!!
just pratice in the parking lot a lot..its a feeling things...
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I know I can't stop you people from trying this, but for the love of God please do it somewhere where you will not hit anyone or anything? It's just not worth risking no matter how slick you are/think you are.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

it's not really a matter of trying to be slick..i was just a little confused cause i remember i was told never to use that to stop, but it just acts like normal brakes in my situations, when i know it should not. so i was just trying to get some clarification on whether or not the hand brake on the lancer is any different than others(where the tires lock up) safety reasons i guess
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

It should lock. Not that Im reccomending it or anything but you should get that checked.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I was talking about driving skills in general. Nothing targetted, nothing personal, nothing specific. People often think they're better drivers than they are. That's what I was implying. Keep it within your limits.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 08:23 PM

Maybe the linkages are a lil loose I also agree, get it checked. I hope their aren't any steep hills where you live. *Imagines seeing a lancer rolling down a hill*
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

the lancer has rear drum brakes. the e-brake pulls a cable that forces the shoes to press on the the drum, stopping the car. it is the same exact braking mechanism that occurs when you hit your brake pedal, however instead of using fluids to seperate the shoes it pulls them apart with a cable.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake.htm
Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

cleofis, if u're still having trouble locking the wheels, applying the normal breaks and pulling on the hand breaks will definately lock up the rear.

unless u have my friend's I30 where it almost does nothing. He can pull it all the way up, real fast about 750 feet from a stop sign and it'll stop nice and smooth haha

oh yea, it locks easier when u're turning too, but don't try this when u're going fast..actually NEVER try this unless it's in a safe place, where you can control the car the best and have minimal dangers. ive had bad experiences not with this car but it's all the same.
-Bob
Old Jan 2, 2003, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

It's just like slaming on the foot brake, your front tires lock up and you skid. Just do what everyone is saying. Pulling your hand brake up real fast is just like slaming on your brakes. Try doing it at about 30mph while turning, you can do some nice 180s. But just like Hobie says, do it in an empty parking lot, not on a highway and cause a 200 car pile up.
Old Jan 3, 2003, 12:10 AM
In Timeout

Angry Don't try this at home!

I think I know where this is leading, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If I'm right, well let's consider this your first drift lesson...

Drifting Lesson #1: Stage One

Get your Lan onto a well lit, wide-open dirt space.

Reread the last sentence a couple of times until it's COMPLETELY CLEAR!

Drive around the space a bit @ no faster than 10 or 15 mph, to determine if it's as flat as it looks, and whether you're in a good mood. Snagging a wheel it a rut while performing this techique can flip your car, snap your axle, or both. You could roll, crash, burn and die, and I guarantee, it won't be pretty. Your parents will hate me forever. You have to be in a good mood to go on.

At this point, you gotta ask yourself two questions:

One: Can I afford to pay a fine and maybe go to jail if the police catch me?

Two: If I break my car, can I afford to live without it? If so, for how long?

When you have found satisfactory answers to these questions, then either you've convinced yourself to continue, or you're ready to drive away and take your car to a car wash...

Drifting Lesson #1: Stage Two

First time, try getting the car up to say, 50 mph, tops. Then, spin the steering wheel completely in one direction, hard and fast, while downshifting, and yank up on the emergency brake just as you pop the clutch.

ATTENTION: DO NOT USE YOUR BRAKE PEDAL! FIGHT THE URGE.

Result: You will drift your FF LHD US Lancer my friend.

I can't remember what size rims you have, but I think I saw stock 0-Z 15"s. I do not suggest performing this move with any other wheel.

On dirt, @ 50 mph, it's easy to counter the drift by releasing the brake, upshifting and spinning the steering wheel in the opposite direction until you straighten out. I do not recommend exceeding this speed until you have mastered drift fighting. @ 70 or 80 mph, there's always the chance that you will dump or tip...and if you play the numbers game...YOU WILL WRECK YOUR CAR EVENTUALLY!

Drifting Lesson #1: Addendum A

I can't tell you what to do, but I would strongly suggest wearing a helmet, installing a roll cage and having a friend with a cell phone set to 911 and fire extinguisher ready, in case of emergency, if you want to try this technique at all. By the way, the cute little stones that your OEM tyres spin over WILL become deadly projectiles that CAN smash windows of other cars or take out your friend's eyeballs, blinding them for life, in a millisecond. Please prepare accordingly.

Drifting Lesson #1: Addendum B

I would not recommend drift experimentation with a front-wheel-drive vehicle on tar or cement. You WILL break your car, or at the very least, stress it in a way that may break it later on. Hopefully, when it breaks, you won't be carrying passengers at high speed.

Enjoy!

Last edited by BOOYAH1369; Jan 3, 2003 at 12:29 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 01:25 PM

180'S? Maybe in my Junky Geo in my GrandFather Field.....
I've ruined and warped several rims doing this......
Anyone got comments on the effects on rims from doing 180's?

Quick Reply: using the hand brake?