Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

drop throttle oversteer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drop throttle oversteer

I noticed that my new Evolution has a huge amount of drop throttle oversteer. It freaks me out because I haven't ever spent much time in a FWD car.
At least in Tarmac mode, it acts like a FWD car on decel, but then it acts like a 4WD car on accel. I understand how this can be useful, but there are times when I want it to act like a regular car too.
Does this balance change when changing ACD settings? (I haven't had time to check it out yet, hoping for a definitive answer first). This picture leads me to believe that in gravel mode I will have a car that will not be changing from a 4WD to a FWD when I lift the throttle.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

30 views and nobody even has an idea? Ok I'll go figure it out myself.....
Old Feb 13, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like the chart says increasing gain on all three variables increses traction and or stability. First question is what is N control?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

It acts like a front wheel drive car, because the tires are holding their friction level. This is attributed to the weight shift from the rear (accel) to front (decel) when you 'drop throttle', meaning the car knows the front wheels have the weight, SOOO they should have good bite. However, depending on the tires and the situation, you could overpower them, and they could slip, causing a severe push, in that situation, I don't know if the computer would shift it back to the back wheels or not, assuming you didn't clobber the brake to keep the car from hitting something in its path.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 07:56 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

The Evo should not be sensitive to lift throttle oversteer. These cars, if anything, have a tendency to push unless you are stabbing the brakes in a turn and even then the rear does not rotate quickly. Go drive a 70s or early 80s Porsche 911 if you want to experience lift throttle oversteer!

Is your suspension stock? -- If so then your alignment may be out and I would have it checked.

One last thought -- Does the car actually rotate or does it just feel like it is about to? It could just be you getting used to the car.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Actually it did rotate pretty well on high speed corners. FWIW, I didn't need to get off the throttle, I was just playing around and learning the car. But trying it again and again it really seemed excessive.

Then I got an alignment (stock suspension). 0 toe, -1.5 rear camber, -1.7 front, now it doesn't do that at all. Go figure.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
It looks like the chart says increasing gain on all three variables increses traction and or stability. First question is what is N control?
Seems like N control is the feedback you get from the car .... gain seems to mean stability and traction
To me, it seems the snow setting gives you high feedback with a lower gain given to acceleration and deceleration.
Gravel seems to give a balance of the three with a lower feedback but more gain given to acceleration and deceleration.
Tarmac seems to give the lowest feedback with a lot of gain given to decel and least gain to accel.
Which makes sense because you want more stability and traction when you are decelerating for a corner than when you are accelerating out of it. In snowy conditions you would want more feedback from you steering to tell you whether or not you are loosing traction ... than have traction with no feedback (floatly disconnected feel) ... ultimately I think the change in gain is very minute for real world settings and helps with the feel of the car. Also on a harder surface with more grip you will automatically get more feedback from you steering wheel than on a softer surface with less grip .... anyone agree? disagree?

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Feb 16, 2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 04:40 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Impulsoren
Actually it did rotate pretty well on high speed corners. FWIW, I didn't need to get off the throttle, I was just playing around and learning the car. But trying it again and again it really seemed excessive.

Then I got an alignment (stock suspension). 0 toe, -1.5 rear camber, -1.7 front, now it doesn't do that at all. Go figure.
Lucky guess
Old May 26, 2005, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Just some input based on my experience. I have been to few different race track with my 03Evo….like Road America 4mile long high speed turn and some medium speed track. During high speed (eg above 80mph), lifting throttle could cause the rear end to slide a little. It’s depends on which gear you are on, the more deceleration, the more tendency to get oversteer. So during high speed turn or sweeper, I never lift the throttle which you might end up somewhere out of the track. Low to medium speed turn (eg 60mph below), you have to trail brake into a turn to get oversteer. The vehicle still has stock suspension. The stock Evo behaves more like a FWD except coming of the turn (advantage of AWD). I just bought a set of Tein Type RA ad will let you know how these go.
Old May 28, 2005, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like when I had my rear sway adjusted to full stiff. When I lift the throttle the rear wants to come around. For a stock Evo, the car should push and not lift throttle oversteer. Lowering the tire pressure on the rear helps to settle the car down too.
Old May 28, 2005, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah, JTB. Saw a Superlight R on Willow Springs last weekend tearing up the track and passing V-8s it was awesome! Looks dangerous though. (Metal Trousers) Wearing the car!!
Old May 28, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I experienced trailing throttle oversteer on the kink on the backstretch at grattan at speeds above 75.. just a slight lift to settle the car and back in the gas , it would get pretty sideways from lifting but I would just stand on the gas and power through it..... quite fun actually .
Noticed more on longer runs after tire pressures have built up a little.
Old May 31, 2005, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

I'll pipe in here - I've been autocrossing my '03, going on my 2nd summer now (I'm still kind of a novice). So I have no gadgetry, but the suspension dynamics are the same. In my opinion for autocross, the lift throttle oversteer effect is wonderful for low speed auto-x turns, you really want the car to rotate the tail so as to avoid understeer and give it neutral to slight tail-out drift balance on exit. To me, the trail-braking/lift throttle oversteer during turn entry of this car, even stock, is what's so magical about the suspension tuning. I recently got a race alignment with max camber and slight toe-out, and slapped on some tanabe springs and a sway bar (soft setting). Yeah, probably changed too many things at once, but... The car is way more tail-happy than before now, I even spun it the first two times on the course. After mastering the new feel my times dropped quite a bit. The oversteer is a great thing, you just have to be able to manage it. Easy for me to experiment with oversteer in auto-x, on a track that's a different story!
Old Jun 12, 2005, 03:54 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
trail braking doesn't work that well on evo's. I know it's fwd based awd, but throttle control works a lot better than trail braking, i think.

I've tried both, and I've found it easier that way...
Old Jun 15, 2005, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trail braking on slow-ish turns below 50 mph is the only way to get decent turn-in IMHO. I have an '03.