Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Driving the evo?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Driving the evo?

I notice that a lot of people are new to the evo, as in driving stick. There have been countless post, which people say they learn how to drive stick on the evo and etc. My question is how you guys manage to test drive the evo or even drive it home, if you didnt know how to drive stick. This thread isnt in anyway a negative path, but i was just really curious. Some somebody come fill me in!
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i didn't know how to drive stick. when i test drove it, i just revved it up and rev matched it into first and coerced the stick in and then just took off and revmatched without a clutch into every gear. the saleguy wasn't happy about it, but i don't care.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 04:20 AM

there is no better training than OJT(On the Job Training). Its the only way to learn. As a side note, my dealer wouldnt let me testdrive until i bought the car.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody else want to chime in on this thread?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

I knew how to drive a stick, and drove my friend's cars around, but the evo was my first stick. It was wierd at first but you get used to it.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lazyfong
I notice that a lot of people are new to the evo, as in driving stick. There have been countless post, which people say they learn how to drive stick on the evo and etc. My question is how you guys manage to test drive the evo or even drive it home, if you didnt know how to drive stick. This thread isnt in anyway a negative path, but i was just really curious. Some somebody come fill me in!
it's all about controlling the clutch, not the stick.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

on the job training...I learned it the hard way...first month, I feel so stupid sometimes...I wouldn't stall, but bumping the clutch and what not...

I learned on my friend's old civic and actually after her got his new car, I borrowed his civic for a full day to do the daily driving thing...but it's still not the same till all you have is the Evo and you and that's it.

learned the hard way..but everything is okay now
Old Apr 11, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

I Learned How To Drive Stick

i learned how to drive stick on my evo aswell. dealership seemed kinda shaky about letting me test drive it. but after we discused payments and crunched numbers they let me drive around in a parking lot in circles. lol..... i was 17 at the time with my mom shopping for cars.

I also tested an SVT cobra the same day.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Ya know what..call me stupid..but I never even took a test drive on the EVO. I just bought it and learned that night. 14k miles and the clutch seems to be working fine. It's kinda intimidating though with all that power and just learning how to drive stick. With all that torque and **** it just feels like you're doing something wrong..atleast to me it did.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

I did it the way it should be done. Bought my first car when I was 16 and made sure that it was a stick. To this day I still have never owned an automatic car and probably never will. Needless to say when I got the Evo it was nothing.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:52 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
learn it from a beatup car. I drove my ex gf's accord wagon to learn how to drive a stick.

if you're fairely cordinated, in 10 minutes you'll learn how to drive a stick.

I've drove my ex's car for 15 minutes, then I went and bought my car (not evo) that was a stick and drove it home without any problem.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

i learned how to drive stick on my evo...my dad knew how to drive a stick (he used to race in his local race track with muscle cars back in his prime days) well so he drove the car home and taught me in it

oh yes, needless to say, it was exTREMELY intimidating trying to learn stick in the car with so much torque under your control ^_^;;
Old Apr 18, 2005, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

I only stalled a few times. .

I had to learn cause I had to go to work the next day
Old Apr 18, 2005, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

never thought anybody would ask this question,hahaha. Let see, on that day that I bought my car my bro drove it home. I sorta know how to drive it, just wasn't good enought so I let him drove it home while I was sitting in the passenger seat awwing. My bro was the one who test drove the car. A few day after I bought the car I finally took it out around the neighborhood. I don't know something just came to me that damn it's either I learn how to drive this thing or it would be a shame just buying the car. At a point I accidently launched the car while trying to drive it. I stalled the car at a few stop lights, that was embarrassing. Other than that it just came naturally, with the help of a video game steering wheel I learned to shift