Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Dealing with hydroplanning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2005, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I take a lot away from this thread.

I am still learning, but what helps me is to probe the situation. I do things I shouldnt do, in a controlled environment b4 I get too far from my home. That way I know what my braking, accelorating, and turning limits are. Then I mentally take note of that and make sure I am always driving within that day's limits.

I most definelty will try some of these techniques you guys mentioned ... to see which are good & which I can use ( basically which are easy enuff for me to do well ).
Old Mar 16, 2005, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr_Ev0
I am still learning, but what helps me is to probe the situation. I do things I shouldnt do, in a controlled environment b4 I get too far from my home. That way I know what my braking, accelorating, and turning limits are. Then I mentally take note of that and make sure I am always driving within that day's limits.
If you try to figure all this out on your own it will take you forever and may get dangerous. Why not sign up for a high-performance driving school with a club like the BMW CCA and learn properly in a safe, controlled environment? The CCA offers one-to-one instruction in your own car and all cars are welcome (you don't need a BMW).

Emre
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:28 AM

yes that would be the safest bet to learning the right way. i'll keep a look out for club events
Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

I've drove Putnam Park twice in the rain. The first time out the track was slick, but the car reacted predicatably. You had to be easy on the brakes or ABS let you know that you were pushing too hard. Overall grip was way down and understeer increased during corner exit.

A year later I drove the same course in the wet again. Wasn't raining this time, but the track was completely wet. The course was completely different and reminded me of driving on ice. It was a little spooky actually. At the apex of T9 the rear end jumped out. There was zero warning and it jumped out fast. Countersteer input didn't even begin to slow the spin. Once I hit the attitude that I knew I would never recover from I used the "both in" method while keeping some countersteer. I ended up doing a 270 on the INSIDE of the corner facing the apex. Nothing damaged but my pride. It was also a great ego checker. It was my first spin out of, at that time, 18 track days.
That event still spooks me a little about driving in the rain, but it teached me a lot. One, while braking or even during a steady state cornerning the rear end is very lite. Two, driving on a wet course almost simulates high speed reactions, but at much safer and slower speeds. Three, you have to be super smooth.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

I drove 2 wet sessions at a DE this weekend. The first session out I was one of 2 cars on the track and put on a "drifting" demonstration for the enterainment of the corner workers (cleared with the chief driving instructor first, of course.)

The second was a combined group, and I concentrated on putting down some good laps with the Advans. I personally think the stock tires are great on a wet track, as long as there is not too much standing water.

Unfortunately, these 2 sessions finished off my OE tires at 6k miles. However that did include one full 2 day DE, so I'm happy considering how grippy the tires are.

Last edited by Scottybob; Mar 21, 2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

so how would you guys rate advans on the wet? i'm not talkin about standing water, but just wet pavement. i've heard people say they're horrible, and from my own experience it kinda seemed so. then again, can't expect too much traction from that type of compound in wet tarmac. or am i wrong? how would you rate the compound itself for wet tarmac?

nice to have a good thread alive
Old Mar 21, 2005, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
so how would you guys rate advans on the wet? i'm not talkin about standing water, but just wet pavement.
They're not bad. Better than Falken Azenis Sports but maybe a little worse than Bridgestone S03's.

Emre
Old Mar 22, 2005, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Advans are great in the wet. I cant compare them to S02s on an Evo (Yet. Give me a couple weeks) But compared to some other stuff, Those tires are incredible.

Jon K
www.seat-time.com
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

I got my first FTD in my first autocross in the MR in the rain. I'd say the Advans are pretty darned good in the wet.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, Advans aren't bad... Toyo RA-1s... I've never spun that fast in ANY car, and I've driven an S2000... hoo ha that was a fun day at Spring Mountain, no hydroplaning, but hitting the gas while coming out of a corner didn't work as well as it does in the dry... there was no warning, it just snapped around
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Yeah, Advans aren't bad... Toyo RA-1s... I've never spun that fast in ANY car, and I've driven an S2000... hoo ha that was a fun day at Spring Mountain, no hydroplaning, but hitting the gas while coming out of a corner didn't work as well as it does in the dry... there was no warning, it just snapped around
But that's true of all R-compounds. In fact, full-tread RA-1's are probably the most forgiving R-compounds you can find.

Emre