Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Why isn't Heel Toe or Double Clutch on public roads?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2005, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by alex_alex
just b/c it isn't really that useful on a public road doesnt mean its pointless to practice on the road. you dont want to waste a track day practicing heel toeing, you want to be ready to do it correctly when you get there. so practice away.

Mitsubishi Synchros are known to stretch. I don't double clutch but maybe it might be a good idea since I stretched 3rd gear racing and now I grind every once in a while.
Old May 6, 2005, 01:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truthfully, there's no real point in double clutching with any modern car. saving your synchros? the difference is probably a few minutes off.

truth be told, i heel-toe quite often; it's to get used to autoX useage. i can now heel-toe with near perfect rev matches, and not lose a single mph in the turn due to gear change.

if you watch the vdeios, most drivers step on the gas all the way down during heel-toe operations. the only time you'll need to do this is in high speed turns. on a normal daily turn, only step on the gas slightly until you can match the rev, and dump/slip your clutch, however you like to.

i'd love to demonstrate this technique, but the lack of funds prohibit me from any kind of non-essential equipment.
Old May 6, 2005, 02:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeZaVu
truthfully, there's no real point in double clutching with any modern car. saving your synchros? the difference is probably a few minutes off.

truth be told, i heel-toe quite often; it's to get used to autoX useage. i can now heel-toe with near perfect rev matches, and not lose a single mph in the turn due to gear change.

if you watch the vdeios, most drivers step on the gas all the way down during heel-toe operations. the only time you'll need to do this is in high speed turns. on a normal daily turn, only step on the gas slightly until you can match the rev, and dump/slip your clutch, however you like to.

i'd love to demonstrate this technique, but the lack of funds prohibit me from any kind of non-essential equipment.

and as far as i understand, you should always err on the side of overrevving, if you're still experimenting with matching. i think its much less strain on the car than underrevving and having the synchros drag everything to the same speed
Old May 6, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

you are positively correct. i can rev match, so for you beginners, DO rev a little higher than necessary. you'll bog a little, but you won't lag as bad. thanks for pointing that out alex alex...

transformers, transform and move out! or was it roll out?
Old May 6, 2005, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeZaVu
you are positively correct. i can rev match, so for you beginners, DO rev a little higher than necessary. you'll bog a little, but you won't lag as bad. thanks for pointing that out alex alex...

transformers, transform and move out! or was it roll out?
it is definately "roll out"
Old May 6, 2005, 05:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would confuse new drivers.Or even some experienced ones for that matter. I dont know about where your from but the average driver around here seems perplexed by turn signals and lane changes, let alone tryin some fancy foot work.
Leave the heel toeing to the sportsman, like ourselves.
Old May 8, 2005, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Speaking of Heel/toe (double clutching is a truck thing now or you are babysitting an already failing transmission/clutch/throwout berring/synchro)

I would guess its not encouraged/tought by "AAA Driver Training: Reduce insurance by 10%" for two reasons. One, no real need in modern cars, you can be slow and safe without it. (and automatics, blah) and reason #2, they probably dont know it.

Do you need to do it with modern cars, nope, might it save wear and tear on a tranny.. maybe.

But.. I encourage that people who are going autocrossing, doing track days and such go ahead and do it on public roads, get your foot used to hitting the brakes and blipping the gas through downshifts (you dont have to be at max revs, just going through the motions) The great thing is thats one of the "racing" things you can practice on the road without fear of tickets and danger. (along with looking ahead)

Jon K
www.seat-time.com
Old May 9, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by twentyone
double clutching reduces the load on synchronizers by rev matching the gears inside the transmission. modern synchronizers and transmissions are pretty good so double clutching isnt very necessary
not really nessesary, but I just do it for the practice.
Old May 9, 2005, 06:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not only syncros (which doesn't really matter) but it saves your clutch from being dragged during rev match, since you're off the clutch engagement when you're reving.

you know how everyone told you not to drag your clutch when driving? you're doing that if you single rev match while going fast.

But I single rev toe and heel time to time when I get behind in planning.
Old May 12, 2005, 02:54 AM

i think its because normal driving schools are only required to teach you techniques that are essential for daily driving. So they don't need to teach you this techniques because you really don't need it for normal street drving, however, heel n toe is essential for highperformance drving that's why they cover this in more advanced driving schools.
Old May 17, 2005, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Even just simple rev matching saves the clutch. When the speed of the engine is matched to the transsmission, it eliminates drag if done correctly. Anytime you're in a higher gear, put into lower gear and just ease the clutch out...that's basically like taking you face and rubbing it off the pavment at 100mph....

When you rev match, it's as if both surfaces are coming together at the same speed which reduces wear a whole lot. I use heel toe and rev matching in daily driving just coming to stop signs...If I'm at 30mph in third gear, I'll rev to 3000RPM and drop to second, which in my car is a perfectly matched downshift and there's no bucking and the clutch disc is matched with the flywheel at the same speed (within 50-100RPMs depending on how good you are)

Double clutching, I do going from 4th down to 3rd gear just from being a habit. I wanted to see what double cluthing was like oneday and I just do it now. It's now a habit. Pointless? pretty much. Harmful? Not at all. Only harm it may cause is throwout bearing wear, which as long as you go to neutral at stop lights you'll be fine
Old May 17, 2005, 04:32 PM

its not necessary but i do it all the time anyways....its habbitforming once you start doing it alot
Old May 27, 2005, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by racerjon1
Speaking of Heel/toe (double clutching is a truck thing now or you are babysitting an already failing transmission/clutch/throwout berring/synchro)...
Jon K
www.seat-time.com
Actually, there is no need to use the clutch except for starting with most modern truck trannies. Just straight shift. Your timing has to be right on but its pretty easy since revs drop so slowly and the shift has to be pretty slow itself. So instead of double-clutching a truck you 0 clutch it.

regards,
alan "who has 350,000 miles over the road in rock boxes"
Old May 28, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Part of heel and toe is to match your revs. and gear for the next corner or straight, so you have the power to go fast on a track. You can practice it on the streets, but alot of people will use it to slow the car down to a stop.
So really you don't need to know how to heel and toe for streets. Wear and tear on your clutch or change your brake pads? Which one is cheaper?
Old May 29, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

It took me almost two years to get proficient at heel-toe driving. I picked it up in Bob Bondurants book on High Performance Driving. I did the double clutch technique too. At the time I had an 83 280ZX with a centerforce clutch. the double clutching cause me to blow out a couple of slave cylinders, probably from all the added movement of the piston.

I use heel-toe in my daily driving. What clued me in to the correct way was Jackie Chan's Who Am I. The book helped but actually seeing it done was a help. That chick that drives the Evo in that movie puts her foot almost sideways

Quick Reply: Why isn't Heel Toe or Double Clutch on public roads?