Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Having trouble laucnhign, need quick tips...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2005, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try different techniques at the track. you will see by your 60 ft times. when you get a 1.60 or less 60 ft time, then you're launching pretty well.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

i never dumped the clutch yet, and dont plan on it, I always do a quick one feather and engage and booom stomp on the gas and let it fly. If you get a twin plate clutch... your foots gonna be tired after a while just drivin regularly cause the clutch is much stiffer, but handles much more power. If you are going to use stock turbo setup and not do to much for now, an act 2900 or so would suit you just perfect. It isn't to costly and holds 400 whp or so even perfectly as well, I plan on getting this clutch and maybe change my flywheel too later on.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

My long range plans is to go the Vishnu (390) stage. For this year I am just planning on the Exede computer and the catback exhaust. next year I'll do the cams, etc. The goal is to get in the low 11 seconds or high 10's when I am all finished. If the ACT 2900 can handle 400hp, I probably don't see myself wanting more than that....

Of course I want to keep the car as a daily driver....its no fun at work anyways...so at least I might as well enjoy the drive back and forth to work
Old Jul 3, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

gt420 you should put your stock rims on when you go to the track. Noticed you have 19s, this will make it quite harder to launch as you dont have as much tire play. It is a lot easier to bog or spin on smaller sidewalls.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:34 AM

what i do is...blip the throttle really fast...and hold it around 5 and half k for normal street encounters...then slip the clutch...but as soon as you fell the clutch about to grab and or start grabbing..dump it...it works perfect everytime...no bogs and no burning clutch....
Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

I need $1 for every time a thread of this nature is posted, so tomorrow I can go buy this:

Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:42 PM
ROC

BIG WARNING. no matter what u hear do not by an EXEDY clutch unless u have the money to replace it every 10-15k nothing but bad luck with this product wether it be a factory replacement or a $4k+ triple carbon. they are truly yet to make a clutch that can withstand the radical spooling of an EVO. thats just my opinion ,o and everybody else I know that has waisted there money on one. Case in point my uncle is on his 4th in30k miles. the third was a twin plate carbon toast in 900 miles. Exedy admitted to the fact that their clutch did not have enough clampin force to hold an EVO so they gave him a trple carbon ( already showing signs of failure. and he never races it...........................
Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
build boost by flooring up and down preload the drivetrain by letting the pedal up some just before it engages. When it's go time just slip VERY quickly and it will take off. this is the technique i use to get consistent 1.6 60 foot times.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
best way is to try to slip the clutch as less as you can.

I've found this the hard way.

anyway, if you do it right, where you slip it just enough, then clutch wear will be kept to the minimal.

gas throttle control and clutch slipping balance is of course cruicial in launching.

don't drop the clutch, unless you do it from the redline.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats funny because Al swears by his carbon clutch, I think he has the times to back it up too...
Old Jul 15, 2005, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Have a two step programmed, hold throttle to the ground and 1-2-3 count on the clutch release and little wheel spin then gone.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gt420hp

If I buy the twin plate clutch from Exedy, will that allow me to launch without worry? ...
twin carbon plate from exedy and you will have no problems
Old Jul 15, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

rev to 3k - 3.5k, start to slip slow and when the car starts 2 move... drop the clutch and jam on the gas = <2.0

make sure the car is at full boost when engaging the clutch

and when the clutch is out 'half way' stop slipping it - doesnt do $hit except burn
Old Jul 15, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ROC
BIG WARNING. no matter what u hear do not by an EXEDY clutch unless u have the money to replace it every 10-15k nothing but bad luck with this product wether it be a factory replacement or a $4k+ triple carbon. they are truly yet to make a clutch that can withstand the radical spooling of an EVO. thats just my opinion ,o and everybody else I know that has waisted there money on one. Case in point my uncle is on his 4th in30k miles. the third was a twin plate carbon toast in 900 miles. Exedy admitted to the fact that their clutch did not have enough clampin force to hold an EVO so they gave him a trple carbon ( already showing signs of failure. and he never races it...........................
He must be the worst stick driver ever... To f up all those clutches... I drive my car pretty damn hard and im still on the stock clutch with no signs of failure at just about 20k miles...I launch the car quite often...
Old Jul 15, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
My clutch is gone. I learned on it I think that's why. Also I launch on the Evo a couple of times and I just smelt the clutch. Once I launched off the light of Seven Eleven and the Evo took off like a rocket. Afterwards I barely smelt the clutch. I think that was my perfect launch!!! BTW, I am 16. Now I am getting an ACT 2900. Gotta get it installed for cheap or my dad and I will do it.

Quick Reply: Having trouble laucnhign, need quick tips...