Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Having trouble laucnhign, need quick tips...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2005, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
My clutch is gone. I learned on it I think that's why. Also I launch on the Evo a couple of times and I just smelt the clutch. Once I launched off the light of Seven Eleven and the Evo took off like a rocket. Afterwards I barely smelt the clutch. I think that was my perfect launch!!! BTW, I am 16. Now I am getting an ACT 2900. Gotta get it installed for cheap or my dad and I will do it.
Not a fun diy
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

who buys their 16 year old an Evo?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rkm625
lol i just turned 18, i got mine when i was 17. funny thing is i sold my eclipse because i had problem with cops and getting speeding tickets, i had the body kit and everything you can imagine on it, well i ended up getting the rs and the cops dont even look at me anymore.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 07:20 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by rkm625
not your parents, i'm guessing. Mine didn't either.

But good for him and his parents for giving him a car that goes faster than most cars out there.

I hate to say this, but faster car is much safer in the hands of a good driver, but most good drivers have experience and lots of failures. That's why they're good.

anyway, sounds to me you are letting your clutch out too fast or you're not sticking the throttle enough when you let the clutch out.

It should be the same as you're taking off slowly, where throttle in and clutch out is the same.

Just like few other people said, you have to feel the car. You could actually feel how your clutch feels on the clutch pedal on evo's. Very sensitive.

You'll feel it, where the clutch is still slightly in, and you're flooring the thottle, the car is antsy to get moving, then throttle pedal should be on the floor, kick your clutch foot out and let the clutch be free. It would feel like you're dumping the clutch at that last moment, but it's not really dumping since your clutch is spinning and engaged.

If you do this fast enough, you wont smell your clutch at all.

My stock clutch lasted about 35000 miles, and my act feels like brand new with 30,000 miles on it.

This is after 20 launches on weekend at the track for 2 years, with countless launches at the stop light.

My stocker died, because one day, I tried too hard, slipped it at 7500rpm. Best time, almost broke my neck, but clutch started to slip. hehehe.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

im 18 and i have an 06 evo MR before that i had an 05 G35 coupe(totaled now) but i got the g35 as a graduation gift, my mom gave me 15000 for a down payment then i was making payments, and after it got totaled i used the insurance money to by my evo
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyle21
lol i just turned 18, i got mine when i was 17. funny thing is i sold my eclipse because i had problem with cops and getting speeding tickets, i had the body kit and everything you can imagine on it, well i ended up getting the rs and the cops dont even look at me anymore.
Damn that the same thing that happened with my eclipse, well the first one got totalled and the second one was black and a magnet for cops. I didn't have a body kit on it, but still got caught once racing this friend of mine and got off with a speeding and "not putting the turning signal" ticket , and another time for speeding and almost reckless driving..... anyways since i bought my 06 evo ix the police doesn't even look at my car and I just don't get it!!!!!!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
ok i have started to practice launching on my evo (drivetrain mods: ACT HDSS w/ stock flywheel, SS line, restirctor removed, and Short shifter).

Ok basically i take it to about 5000 and i feather it, and i apply WOT as im letting off clutch really fast, and all it does is bog really bad , to about 2500 rpms AND i smell clutch a bit. I think my problem is:

Im applying WOT too late. I floor it AS im letting off clutch fast and it bogs horribly. Im guessing i should let it drop to about 3k rpm, and floor it, once it hits 5k, let off the clutch fast? I basically let off the clutch at the same time as im flooring it.

ANd could someone vividly describe the difference between dumping clutch and quick slip as they seem to be very close to being the same thing? THanks!
what year is your car?
the ACT might be the limiting factor.
if u have a flash, the tuner should have added the 2 step rev limiter to assist in launching.

when i didn't have the limiter, i would rev between 5-6K rpm let off the clutch slightly till it grabbed & let it go. it's similar to launching a bike: too quick u bog, too slow u smell clutch...
Old Feb 26, 2006, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gt420hp
I discovered tonight the feathering method. I had 2.56 and 2.672 sixty foot times at the track....

If I buy the twin plate clutch from Exedy, will that allow me to launch without worry? I am so used to dumping the clutch while racing my Mustangs....and this is really different to get used to....
if you're gonna spend the $ on an Exedy, you might as well spend a couple hundred more & get the ATS twin plate carbon. the hotter it gets the better it grabs. i know a guy that had trouble w/his exedy & he made 1 run at the track & it wouldn't engage for about 45 min after...
Old Feb 26, 2006, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by housedj
if you're gonna spend the $ on an Exedy, you might as well spend a couple hundred more & get the ATS twin plate carbon. the hotter it gets the better it grabs. i know a guy that had trouble w/his exedy & he made 1 run at the track & it wouldn't engage for about 45 min after...
This is getting really, REALLY old, HouseDJ. You keep talking about these minimal experiences you have in AZ where nobody seems to run right, then you bring it here and make sweeping generalizations. The Exedy Twin is the MOST popular and MOST reliable clutch on the entire market. It's like you guys pick one set of parts and think it's the only thing in the world that works. First, you try to say AEM EMS sucks, and now you're trying to act like the Exedy Twin isn't an awesome clutch just because one guy had trouble with it engaging for 45 mins, although that doesn't happen to the rest of the Evo community. As I said in another of the thousand threads you're suddently answering with false info, I have no idea what's gotten into you lately, but you're going around spreading false information with a tone of authority (which you don't have, of course), and it's potentially very damaging to people who don't know any better. Please, stop what you're doing, because you know absolutely nothing except what your local gang tells you (mostly wrong). Hell, if you'd just listen to Mynes when they tell you to shut up, things would be fine, but instead, you keep blabbing on about crap of which you are ignorant...
Old Feb 26, 2006, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The Exedy Twin is the MOST popular and MOST reliable clutch on the entire market.
& what clutch do u use???
Old Mar 1, 2006, 01:51 PM

ATS Clutch has my vote for the 2006 Bad *** Clutch Award

The ATS Carbon Clutch discs are not just carbon. The discs are a compound of carbon and silicon giving the material a totally different physical property. This compound allows the clutch to engage and disengage smoothly at almost any temperature. But the clutch does grab better when it is hotter but most people aren't making enough power to slip that clutch when it is cold. The Carbon Twin Disc with the 1,350KG Pressure Plate can support 900WHP and 600WTQ. Yes some people have had some problems with there Exedy clutches here in Arizona, that doesn't mean there clutches flat out suck but If people have been having problems with that clutch on the Evolution then I wouldn't suggest getting it. For less money you can get the ATS clutch which I daily drive and have had no problems with. Even better, when combined with a stainless steel clutch line the clutch feels the closest thing to stock out of all the clutches I have felt. For information on the ACROSS CORPRATION which ATS is a division of you can visit http://www.across-cc.co.jp/en/index.html. The only thing they make is carbon composite materials, mostly for aerospace equipment. **** if is good enough for the space shuttle it is good enough for my Evolution.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 01:57 PM

Grizzly Adams did have a beard.

AEM EMS does suck.
Just my opinion.

STOCK ECU 4 LIFE
Old Mar 1, 2006, 02:10 PM

ya you have to find the engagement point give it some rrr's and feather it outta the whole.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Did not have good luck with my Exedy twin plate carbon clutch either. Also had no luck with their tech dept . They never returned calls or e-mails. Don't know if it was the clutch, the install or my driving, but I do know I have a $2500.00 worn out clutch hanging on the wall of my garage. I also only had about 900 miles on it. Never raced or launched it. I never really felt it slip while driving, but it showed up when the car was being dynoed. Saved up some cash and had an ACT race clutch and ACT prolite flywheel installed. Everything seems to work fine now.
BTW...car dynoed at 475whp...476wtq.
Sorry if I'm off topic...don't want anyone else to waste the money