Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Having trouble laucnhign, need quick tips...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2005, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having trouble laucnhign, need quick tips...

nvm just wasnt revving high enough

Last edited by RalliArtEvoVIII; Apr 12, 2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

btw: last time i launched was about 5 months ago and basically what i did was:

Revved to 5k held it there,
Let off the clutch a bit til i felt it move (and i think this is where i messed up, i let off too much and held it there, spinning the hell outta my clutch, and let off and the car took off like a rocket, no tire spin or anything, but the whole time i was racing and stopped, i smelled clutch REALLY bad)
Old Jun 15, 2005, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Jun 16, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Instead of revving to 5k rpm and holding it there, try to slip the clutch as your revs are rising. Blip the throttle so the revs are increasing up and down and then slip it once the revs are increasing.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

so let me try to get this straight, im holding clutch in 1st, i'll blip it up so it increases slowly, as im doing this, i let off the clutch a bit to the piont where its about to grab, then once i get around 5k rpm, i floor it and quick slip?
Old Jun 16, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

I found out that instead of holding rpms at five keep tapping gas from 4-5. Then gradually slip the clutch while flooring it...it usually grabs and all your blood rushes to the back of you head!!!...have fun
Old Jun 16, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

is it normal to smell clutch everytime? I have a ACT clutch and i always get out of my car after and stick my nose near hood vent and always smell clutch.\

and with the above mentioned method, when exactly should i let off clutch? what i plan to do is use ur method and let it drop to 4, blip it to 5, and repeat about 3x then the 3rd or 4th time, im gonna floor it when it drops to 4, once it rises to 5k, im gonna quick-slip the clutch.

also, could someone plz give me a vivid description of the diff between quick-slip and dropping clutch
Old Jun 16, 2005, 09:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just tappy tappy tappy.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Quick slip is when you slip the clutch very very fast, dumping the clutch is when you just move your foot off to the side and let the **** dump.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

The best way to launch that I heard from some racing buddies is to feather the clutch, but that burned the He77 out of it. Anyone know how much more or less effective feathering is instead of dumping the clutch??
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Feathering isn't good either because it burns the clutch the same as you would dump it, but not as fast 8- ) , but for first timers, its the easiest method. The first 2 times i launched my car, I bogged like crazy because I would let off the clutch to late and also I would smell my clutch burning. As for your question about will you smell your clutch burning, yes. The best people who know how to launch will smell their clutches here and there, it's not big deal, just don't do it to much, and make sure you don't hear a clunk, or your *******. What I do is, I rev up to about 4-5k rpms and while my foot is all the way down on the clutch, I slowly start releasing the clutch to where I almost feel it engage. Then when the light turns green, I feel it engage right away and stomp on the gas, and then the car start to fly! Also, I am stil on my stock clutch and flywheel, if you don't have to many mods and don't launch the car to hard regularly, the stocker should be fine for a bit.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 01:28 PM
ROC

The most important thing about launching an EVO is to feel what the car is doing. What i mean by this is to rev the motor up and down in the 2500 to 4500 range.get into a rythim.on the last rev up start to release the clutch quikly the clutch should be all of the way out by the time the motor has gained 750 to 1000 rpms. As you are letting off the clutch you should be flooring the gas ,both at the same time, and both at the same rate of speed.(very quickly) With this technique i run consistant 1.6-1.7 60' times in stockers.
There is nothing like a real launch in an EVO WHEN U GET IT RIGHT!

good luck and may the clutches holding force be with you (you'll need it)
Old Jun 30, 2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ROC
The most important thing about launching an EVO is to feel what the car is doing. What i mean by this is to rev the motor up and down in the 2500 to 4500 range.get into a rythim.on the last rev up start to release the clutch quikly the clutch should be all of the way out by the time the motor has gained 750 to 1000 rpms. As you are letting off the clutch you should be flooring the gas ,both at the same time, and both at the same rate of speed.(very quickly) With this technique i run consistant 1.6-1.7 60' times in stockers.
There is nothing like a real launch in an EVO WHEN U GET IT RIGHT!

good luck and may the clutches holding force be with you (you'll need it)
Amen to all that!!! My friend told me how to launch my Evo over the phone, it took a few tires but you will eventually get it. The quick slipping works for me, I smell clutch usually when I do it, some times worse than others depending upon where I slip the cluth at. I rev to 5k, hold it there, and let my foot off a little untill I can feel the car just barely inch foward and when the light turns green, I let the clutch out fast don't drop it, just after this I floor it, and the car takes off like a bat out of heck. It is truly a wonderfull feeling, like none other, that is as long as I hit second gear. (I need to do a few things to eliminate my miss shifts, thats another topic though)
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

i did a "perfect" launch the other night, i basically floored it tt about 4k with clutch in, from there i tap tap tap to about 5500, at the last minute i tap it to 6k, and as its rising towards 6k, i slowly let off clutch and i let off quickly and floor it and it took off really fast that my cel phone flew outta the cubby hole and i beat a Evo with about 50+whp than me to a 80mph pull (3rd gear redline) slightly smelled clutch for a quick sec but that was it
Old Jul 2, 2005, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

I discovered tonight the feathering method. I had 2.56 and 2.672 sixty foot times at the track....

As I was leaving the track...pissed off...I launched the car at 4500 rpm..and feathered the clutch...the EVO took off like a rocket....but the smell from the burning clutch lasted a good 1/4 mile down the road.

If I buy the twin plate clutch from Exedy, will that allow me to launch without worry? I am so used to dumping the clutch while racing my Mustangs....and this is really different to get used to....

Quick Reply: Having trouble laucnhign, need quick tips...