Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Heal toe shifting.....anyone do it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2006, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackhawkRA
He's right... if part of your aim is to save synchro wear, you don't want to put the gear selector into the gate of a gear until you have blipped the gas and raised the engine speed to match the wheel speed of the new gear. It's possible that the version of HT demonstrated in the diagram could be accomplished in less time with some drivers, deeming it appropriate on track, but don't expect your synchros to last any longer than they would without HT. This is a really good technique to practice on the street, especially when coming from 5th or 4th to a stop on a straight-away. Even if you don't track the car, you can put your skills to the test by putting it into a lower gear before taking a right-hander on a green and see if you can make each transition smooth. This aids greatly when the speed and pressure is multiplied.

Let me get this right. When slowing down, I'll have half of right foot on gas and the other half on the brake. THen when I want to downshift I'll put clutch in, shift down, and blip all at the same time. Is that right or am I supposed to go into neutral between gears?
Old Jan 4, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

^^^the first part is correct...but blip before entering lower gear. you don't need to double-clutch (release clutch in neutral) with modern cars.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

I tried it for the first time a few years back in my Z. Now its almost natrual.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 06:56 PM

Like Relgion, 5th to 1st like lightning. Been doing it for years pays off dividends on the track. Keep practicing, once you match the revs and know your speed and line you will be great.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 07:24 PM
Account Disabled

need to sit in the car with it parked. practice it over and over again, so you get the body to remember those movement.

Heel and toe should come naturally and not thought of when done.

rev matching is a good practice, but do it away from the traffic. You wont learn anything in traffic.

Best way is to cruise on highway that's not that crowded, shift up to 5th gear, heel and toe to 4th, then 3rd gear starting from around 70 or 60mph.

And do this over and over again.

Because eventually if you don't get this down automatically, you'll have hard time replicating during the corner, since it's lot harder to do rev match during hard cornering because your whole body shifts.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Definatley do it in a parked car to learn. A good example is in the Jackie Chan movie "Who am I" the Japanese girl that drives the EVO in the movie does it and the shot flicks to her feet.

I drive like that all the time, heel-toe that is. The street is a great place to practice. I learned from reading the book by "Bob Bodurant on High Performance Driving" I bought that book when I was 17, its my bible on how to drive fast and correctly.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Do most people (aside from jerdeitzel ) use the traditional foot placement of heel on the gas, toe on the brake? My feet do not easily twist that way, because when I stand naturally, but feet point outward. Is it feasible to use the heel on the brake pedal, and the toe on the gas?

Does the JDM driver position in relation to pedal position facilitate the traditional foot placement better than the USDM driver/pedal position?
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Killboy
Is it feasible to use the heel on the brake pedal, and the toe on the gas?
Try it....how much higher would the heel of you foot have be in relatin to the gas pedal? Unless you extened your brake pedal on the car.....or like true race cars have pedals mounted to the floor instead of the firewall, I dont know. But I have never heard of anyone doing this. Not saying it cant be done.....
Old Jan 29, 2006, 05:04 PM

sometimes I do it on the street but it is just for practice when at the track.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

how do we get that diagram
Old Jan 29, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

I do all the time....

the one thing i will advise you noobs is to learn how to rev match and practice until perfect... then once you have the pertect then you just include using the brake also and it sound come naturally...

so again, perfect rev-matching first...
Old Jan 31, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

I think that everyone is thinking this is a skill used only to save your syncros or clutch when in reality it is mostly used to be as efficiant as you can between gas and brakes to get the best times
also if u own an evo and cannot rev match by the time you joind this forum u are in trouble as i learned probly the week i started driving a standerd

P.S. rev matching is not that hard

Last edited by evo-boy; Jan 31, 2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

I started doing this a couple of years ago and now I can't NOT do it unless I force myself to think about it. practice makes perfect and once you start doing it, you will never stop. The only stick I ever drive I don't do it in is my brothers s-10 pickup, and thats a pedal distance problem so I rev match instead.

It does not help your synchros unless you are double clutching. synchros, for those who don't know, speed up the gears in the transmission to match the speed of the drive shaft. Rev matching is on the other side of the transmission, matching the speed of the engine with gear speed required from the current gear selection.

Heal and toe is primarily used to keep the car from changing attitude going into a corner under hard braking and downshifting at the same time. if you don't heal and toe brake/downshift while going into a corner you won't be in the proper gear to accellerate out of the corner, or you will have changed gears and let the transmission adjust the engine speed causing the car to jump. bad news going into a corner.

the easiest way to do it is get almost all of your foot on the brake and just enough on the gas to blip the throttle. When cornering like this it is much better to miss your shift because your foot slipped off the gas than to hit a wall because your foot slipped off the brake.

my 75 cents sorry about the lengthy post
Old Feb 1, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

very good i think you hit the nail on the head
Old Feb 1, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

I do it on a normal basis because I positioned my pedals so it makes it easy for my wide feet to allow for it.

SO I do it all the time, and with my equipment setup it makes it easy.

Quick Reply: Heal toe shifting.....anyone do it?