Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Rev matching?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2006 | 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, just blip the throttle and get the RPM close. After a while you'll get more accurate.

l8r)
Old Apr 12, 2006 | 12:06 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

Rev matching in an Evo is easy as hell. I got it damn near perfect during my test drive.

Just pay attention to your RPMs when you downshift normally. That way, when you go to rev match, you should be able to remember what RPM the engine went to when you did a normal downshift. It'll get much easier the more you do it. Give it a week or two, and you'll be doing it off of sound alone.
Old Apr 12, 2006 | 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Rev matching in my evo is 1k for ever gear. If you are in 4th and you down shift to 3rd -- say 4k -- you need to rev to at least 5k.
Old Apr 25, 2006 | 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tonz of fun
Then when you get good at that you can use downshifting to slow your car down when going a 120 on freeway off ramps. Then your breaks will thank you.
Isn't that engine braking?

If not can you explain?

Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2006 | 06:00 PM

its when you blip the throttle when downshifting to match the engine RPMs to the rpms of the gear you are going into.

1) it hardly spins the clutch, slippign the clutch to downshift will wear the clutch much faster
2) its smoother than slipping the clutch
3) it enables you to downshift faster than slipping the clutch

its a very good technique for even the street
Old May 12, 2006 | 02:30 PM
ez
Evolving Member

A long discussion on this currently here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=165808
Old May 15, 2006 | 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

After about 2 weeks I have finally incorporated it into my daily driving....pretty good now. Really sucks though when you rev too high sometimes lol
Old May 15, 2006 | 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

BTW someone noted that they used downshifting to slow themselves down. This is not a good idea. The whole point of revmatching is so that when you downshift there is no jerking motion, either causing acceleration or braking. The brakes should be used for braking, your transmission is much better at changing gears. Changing out brake pads and rotors is much more cost effective than changing any driveline part.
Old May 15, 2006 | 02:10 PM

if i rev too high, it seems like the rpm's just settle down for the gear i'm trying to downshift into... feels like butter when you hit it dead on! Can't say i would want to do without rev matching haha... just gives you a better feel for the car and passes the time in traffic.
Old May 21, 2006 | 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kronik
Rev matching in my evo is 1k for ever gear. If you are in 4th and you down shift to 3rd -- say 4k -- you need to rev to at least 5k.
unless they changed the gearing for the 05 5-speeds...in my 03, it seems like I need a bit over 1k to rev match correctly on a downshift...oh about 1200 or so.

But anyways, I'm going to incorporate rev-matching technique into my daily driving starting now. The hardest part is knowing what RPM you need to dump the clutch at.

It was suggested the best way to memorize the RPMs is by sound through the downshifting method of slowly release the clutch. I hope this is right b/c I'm going to use this method to learn.

How long do you think it might take to properly learn this techique and comfortably use it daily?

Last edited by mdosu; May 21, 2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old May 21, 2006 | 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
unless they changed the gearing for the 05 5-speeds...in my 03, it seems like I need a bit over 1k to rev match correctly on a downshift...oh about 1200 or so.

But anyways, I'm going to incorporate rev-matching technique into my daily driving starting now. The hardest part is knowing what RPM you need to dump the clutch at.

It was suggested the best way to memorize the RPMs is by sound through the downshifting method of slowly release the clutch. I hope this is right b/c I'm going to use this method to learn.

How long do you think it might take to properly learn this techique and comfortably use it daily?
Well on my earlier statement i was giving an approximate equation. Yes, they are little more than 1k but that is a good start. There is no certain RPM that you dump the clutch. I've been trying to teach my gf this technique and she just can't blip the throttle enough.

It is advantageous to know how your motor sounds during the rev range -- the more you are used to the sound the easier you can pick this up. But going back to your question -- you are cruising down in 4th gear around and want to down shift to third -- the easiest method I can tell you is: clutch in, blip throttle, release clutch immediately. It's not a "dump" perse, it's a gentle release and if you have blipped the throttle enough, upon release the car will not jolt. It should be a smooth transition. Just give it some more practice and you will get used to it.

On another subject -- left foot breaking while driving. That's fun! heh. Good luck!
Old May 22, 2006 | 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

do you guys do this and also double clutch?
Old May 24, 2006 | 06:16 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mdosu
do you guys do this and also double clutch?
You don't have to blip the throttle (rev match) when you down shift but I'd advise it if value your drive train. As for the Double clutching I'll leave you with this quote from The Fast and The Furious that made me walk out of the theater.

" Not double clutching when you shift"
Vin Deisel talking to dude after a drag race
Old May 24, 2006 | 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

^^ you're kidding me right? In F&F, Vin was joking about double clutching...
Old May 24, 2006 | 09:46 AM
Account Disabled

I don't think he was joking, I think he just had bad writers. I'm trying to say it's pointless to double clutch in modern vehicles and that "do you guys do this and also double clutch?" was a stupid question.

Quick Reply: Rev matching?