Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Rev matching?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marksae
Changing shoes can also throw my timing off.
Funny you mention that, I experience the same thing. I can't wear dress shoes while driving this car...so I carry a pair of running shoes in the car for getting to work and then change in the garage .
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

also driving with flip flops sucks, it can actually be dangerous, my flip flop can fall off, get stuck under the break pedal and you wont be able to use your breaks, same for any other pedal, i almost got in a wreck once driving with flip flops
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
What the hell is rev matching, and is it a must when driving stick? I consider myself a very good driver and alway thought that as long as when going through the gears even with agressive driving as long as you werent getting a jolt from the gear change and accelerator application that it was done right, could I have been wrong all along?

rev-matching goes along with double clutching and heel-toe braking/shifting. The purpose for rev-matching on street use is smooth down shifts and avoid over exertion of your syncros. I double clutch almost every down shift (therefore rev match) and if you have an evo or DSM your synchros (to the best of my knowledge) are known for just takin a ****, so rev matching puts less stress on them during a down shift...if you have an aftermarket clutch and you downshift regularly and here a squeal...thats you over exerting your syncros. The purpose of heel-toe and double clutching during a race setting (circuit not drag) is to carry as much speed in the proper gear through a corner. it may be something you have to practice but it certainly helps when youre running laps.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 06:26 AM

I have some decent links which explain heel and toe shifting and rev matching pretty well

heel and toe shifting
rev matching

Enjoy!
Old Apr 9, 2009, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackevo110
rev-matching goes along with double clutching and heel-toe braking/shifting. The purpose for rev-matching on street use is smooth down shifts and avoid over exertion of your syncros. I double clutch almost every down shift ...
I was hoping someone would point this out before I hit the end of the thread

'Rev matching' without double clutching isn't really doing all that much for ya.

Last edited by lords3t; Apr 9, 2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lords3t
I was hoping someone would point this out before I hit the end of the thread

'Rev matching' without double clutching isn't really doing all that much for ya.
Sure it is. It prevents the wheels from locking up(shift lock) at speed, if you take your car up to about 70-80mph brake hard and have to rapidly go down the gears it will keep you from flat spotting or spinning or just not being able to stop due to the wheels being locked (search:HEAL TOE).
Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

^ yes but I was reffereing to the drivetrain benifit
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:26 AM

I was told by many that current technology wiped the need to "double clutch" so it's not very neccessary but how would it be used in daily driving today was advanced trannies and what not?

And as for Rev matching, I got my lancer two weeks ago and thats when I learned stick all the way and I thought Rev matching was essential I started doing it before I knew that I really was "rev matching" anyways pretty fun to match it pefectly with people in the car..
"YES I got it right on!"
"hmm? I didn't notice anything.."

Last edited by blackdiamonds; Apr 14, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
What the hell is rev matching, and is it a must when driving stick? I consider myself a very good driver and alway thought that as long as when going through the gears even with agressive driving as long as you werent getting a jolt from the gear change and accelerator application that it was done right, could I have been wrong all along?
It's not really required, but I got really good at it because my girlfriend hates getting jerked around in the car. So I got so good at it I can drive my car and make it feel as if you were riding in an automatic.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:34 PM

If you get good enough at rev matching then you don't even need to use the clutch.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
you must use the clutch in the evo tranny. It is not a dog box.
You can get it in at the right RPM , but that is not right at all, and will cause damage in long time. Use that technic only when you lost a clutch entirely, just to make it to the first stop.
Even dogbox is appreciate it, when you use a clutch , but there you dont really need to
Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ldb477
If you get good enough at rev matching then you don't even need to use the clutch.
This is not at all correct. The design of our transmission does not allow it to happen as you describe. It is possible to snick your tranny into a lower gear if you match the outputshaft speed to the specific gear. This however is somthing that can damage your transmission in a short amount of time.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ldb477
this is why you drive an impreza outback.