Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Fishtailing on Corner Exits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damnit i got screwed.. this threads old...

i pulled a newbie, if this guys doesnt have his tires fixed by now he's an fool
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so everyone hates lifting so much, but the only time I think lifting is out is when you're carrying too much speed through the turn. If you're flooring it coming out of a tight turn and the rear end steps out with all 4 tires spinning (mine will only do this in the wet), lifting works for me, since the tires stop spinning and drive the car in the direction I have the wheels pointed.

if I start drifting because of too much speed, I like to press the clutch and steer as well as I can.

I'm no expert though
Old Jan 19, 2007, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

I wish my lancer would be more tail happy, consider yourself lucky & run with it...
Old Jan 22, 2007, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just load some cartons into the boot.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Completely lifting off the throttle will shift the weight of the car to the front, (i.e. the rear of the car becomes light) creating a dangerous oversteer situation. What you should do is lift of the throttle gradually - so that you end up at part throttle. This will allow you to regain traction and not completely unload the rear. Its all in how you pedal the gas (do it smoothly!).
Old Jan 26, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

I am no expert either but no one seems to ever mention in threads like this that if the oversteer is throttle induced then gently cracking the throttle until the tires regain traction is the way to go.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:44 AM

i also have problem oversteering.
On one of the exit on ramp, in my old wrx, i used to do 50-60mph exit, with gear in
5th, no gas and no brake. It will just go like it is on rail, and buy the time the turn
is done, the car is around 40mph, and I hit the gas and merge onto the highway.

With the Evo, I tried enter the exit on ramp at 60mph, and there was major oversteering, I saved it with throttle and countersteering, but it was scary!!
The next day, I dialed back and entered with 40mph, in 5th gear, no gas and no brake,
and in the middle of the
ramp, still oversteer!!! A mild one oversteer, not scary, kind of fun actually.
But I was like wtf?? It was only 40mph, even my mom's corolla can attack this ramp at 40mph!!!

Is the evo really that tail happy???
btw, my car is bone stock, no mod on suspension. I put all season proxy4 on with
37psi front and 35psi rear... I tried 32/29 before, but the outside of the tire was
wear out quicker than the middle, a sign of underinflated, so i put 37/35 now...
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

the rear upper strut bat (cusco)helped me alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!the fishtaling feels 100 times more controled,with coilover's you can have real fun,big diffrence when your a little close to the ground!happy drifting!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by twlai
i also have problem oversteering.
On one of the exit on ramp, in my old wrx, i used to do 50-60mph exit, with gear in
5th, no gas and no brake. It will just go like it is on rail, and buy the time the turn
is done, the car is around 40mph, and I hit the gas and merge onto the highway.

With the Evo, I tried enter the exit on ramp at 60mph, and there was major oversteering, I saved it with throttle and countersteering, but it was scary!!
The next day, I dialed back and entered with 40mph, in 5th gear, no gas and no brake,
and in the middle of the
ramp, still oversteer!!! A mild one oversteer, not scary, kind of fun actually.
But I was like wtf?? It was only 40mph, even my mom's corolla can attack this ramp at 40mph!!!

Is the evo really that tail happy???
btw, my car is bone stock, no mod on suspension. I put all season proxy4 on with
37psi front and 35psi rear... I tried 32/29 before, but the outside of the tire was
wear out quicker than the middle, a sign of underinflated, so i put 37/35 now...
The Evo9 has much more front grip than the 03 & 04 Evo's, which came stock with an open front differential (lame sauce). This will cause some oversteer, since the front tires now have more grip than before. Apply the throttle smoothly, and be aware of where and when you begin to brake, and when you stop braking. Learning the limits of Evo is difficult because you don't know how far it can really go unless you bring it to a track or autocross (too scary on public streets). Keep in mind that the corolla is probably much lighter than the Evo, and you are use to driving it.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nils
hmmm.. oversteer on a stock evo.. that sounds weird. You 'should' be experiencing understeer on a stock evo... ofcourse running 18#'s of air on the tires will always help the car do weird things. Try settign tires pressures to 2#'s less in rear tires compared to fronts....maybe start at 36 front & 34 rear....see how ti feels and go from there.

I am in Vegas & I/Robispec can help you sort the car out to handle the way you want it....

n
I live in vegas and i've experienced oversteer a few times, do you think i has something to do with how crappy the roads are here? cause i dont get oversteer when i'm in cali.

Last edited by distant_02; Oct 11, 2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Just to illustrate the point of easing off the throttle in a power oversteer situation to bring the rear back in.... I datalogged this on the way to work. There's this one right hander at an intersection onto a 3 lane street, so there's plenty of room, i.e. margin for error.

Floor the car in 2nd heading into the turn, car is getting near peak torque at the apex, and then yank on the steering to upset the car and get the rear to slide. The front of the car was in the middle lane, the *** end was in half way in the left lane! You can see where the rear started to slide from the rpms getting a little jumpy at 4k rpms. I held it until 5k and eased off the throttle. From there, as the rear was back under control (not sliding farther out), I started working the throttle and then floored it once it was mostly straight.

I must say, the car with a completely stock suspension and tire setup is very difficult to get to oversteer. You basically have to be doing something pretty stupid to get the rear out. It took a pretty good yank on the steering to get the rear to slide for me.

Also, don't try this at home, it was for scientific purposes only
Attached Thumbnails Fishtailing on Corner Exits-poweroversteer.jpg  
Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Bravo!