Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Someone explain the "2 step" launch control

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2007, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone explain the "2 step" launch control

In detail can someone please explain this?? I have an 06 IX its a DD and doesnt see much track use but id like to know how this works....alot of people are sayin to slip out the clutch when its bouncing of the 2 step....others are dropping it right off the 2 step......i had my car flashed( M1 jestrflash and Dynoflash previous) and BEFORE i start breakin **** wanted to get some knowledge on it. If you dont know dont reply and i appreciate the ones that do
Old May 14, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's incredibly simple, and it's been explained many times.

You rev while stationary, and the "2 step" stops your revs at a certain predetermined rpm. You keep the gas down so that it "bounces" off this secondary rev limiter, which allows you to launch more consistently. The launch rpm and how you choose to utilize it is up to you...
Old May 14, 2007, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats pretty much it; Warrtalon is right and Im surprised he went so easy on you
Old May 14, 2007, 10:10 PM

I've also had this explained to me a couple times..

1. 1st gear, clutch down, floor it.
1a. 2 step function will stop your revs at _____RPM
2. Slip the clutch (there's a right and wrong way to do it, quickly but not just dropping it)
2a. The 2 step function will cease working: you launched at ____RPM but as soon as you're in motion, the car is at full throttle.

let me know if I ****ed that up, lol

Last edited by ziggity; May 14, 2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old May 14, 2007, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

the guys aboe did a great job telling you about it. and these systems do work, but there is something better!

if you go for a standalone ECU then they normally have a feture that will allow anti-lag. this is like the daddy of 2-step systems.

you see a 2-step will only CUT ignition timing. this means you basically load the engine, which helps spool, and dump fuel into the exhaust (which some may or maynot burn helping spool evne more). its a basic system but works!

now anti-lag is a whole nother thing! it will have a pre set rev limit for very fast launching but it will also work on the move and when changing gears. it works by knocking the timing back (retarding) when the throttle is not open. on a proper system it will also open the idle control valve to allow more air through the engine. also it will keep the fueling nice and rich. the result of thsi is the fuel air mix is now fired as its leaving the cylinder! this red hot gas then hits the turbo and drives it even with no load on the engine!!

now most aftermarket anti-lag systms are tunable, you dont have to run them ***** out all the time. you basically adjust the amount the idle valve opens when the throttle is closed. this is handy as prolonged use will reduce the life of a turbo!

with a tunable setup you could run it soft on the street, so it splits a few flames and makes some bang bang sounds when off the throttle, then turn it up at the strip/track when you want instant boost!

thanks Chris.
Old May 15, 2007, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

I also want to add that it only works when the vehicle is at a COMPLETE stop. If you're rolling at all, you'll go straight to redline.
Old May 15, 2007, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
It's incredibly simple, and it's been explained many times.

You rev while stationary, and the "2 step" stops your revs at a certain predetermined rpm. You keep the gas down so that it "bounces" off this secondary rev limiter, which allows you to launch more consistently. The launch rpm and how you choose to utilize it is up to you...
FIRST off im thankful for the responses and the info......NOW as far as WARRTALON goes..??! why should i be thankful for him going easy on me??? when he got started before he had like 97thousand posts he probably didnt know either!! I can see the guy knows his **** but lets be real guys....like i said more importantly; im glad he and you guys gave me the right info and much thanks
Old May 15, 2007, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was no built-in 2-step on the Evo when I started, or at least we didn't know about it. It wasn't until the 05s came out with the built-in 5k limiter that we knew what was going on. However, it didn't take long to figure out. All you had to do was read a few threads to get the info. It doesn't matter if you know everything or nothing - what matters is if you know how to gather info without asking to be spoonfed.
Old May 15, 2007, 08:13 AM
Account Disabled

I'd like to know how the turbo is holding up from the guys with anti-lag
Old May 15, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

There Still Is No 2 Step Built In The Evo. It Is A Stationary Launch Control. Like Warr And I Have Discussed Before A Genuine 2 Step Is When The Rpms Cycle Between 2 Differnt Rpms Not Just Bounce Off A Set Rpm. But Yes It Is Nice Having That Feature On The Newer Model Evos (05 And Up). However Stock Ecu Is Not Capable Of 2 Stepping.
Old May 15, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

I never asked nor inplied(especially from you) to be spoon-fed....if you didnt like the thread DONT reply to it. Ive searced didnt find an answer i was lookin for..guys take more time to try and be condensending rather than put their efforts elsewhere. But il still stay true to this...i am thankful for the right info. Theres more wasted posts on using the "search" button than actual posts and threads that didnt find what they need or didnt use it in the first place.
Old May 15, 2007, 08:53 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RnRjames
There Still Is No 2 Step Built In The Evo. It Is A Stationary Launch Control. Like Warr And I Have Discussed Before A Genuine 2 Step Is When The Rpms Cycle Between 2 Differnt Rpms Not Just Bounce Off A Set Rpm. But Yes It Is Nice Having That Feature On The Newer Model Evos (05 And Up). However Stock Ecu Is Not Capable Of 2 Stepping.

just to clarify, That features is on the older EVO8 too, you just have to flash the ecu to make use of it.
Old May 15, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, that was the nicest I have ever seen Warlton be to someone when they could have used the search function in this forum and he still gets grief..lol The launch control is a handy tool to have in a car that is so hard to launch correctly. I believe it is set to 5k from the factory if I am not mistaken and can be adjusted through flash utility progs. From what I can tell a consitant launch in an Evo launch control is really difficult.

Last edited by hellcat; May 15, 2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old May 15, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by urslo4n8
I never asked nor inplied(especially from you) to be spoon-fed....if you didnt like the thread DONT reply to it. Ive searced didnt find an answer i was lookin for..guys take more time to try and be condensending rather than put their efforts elsewhere. But il still stay true to this...i am thankful for the right info. Theres more wasted posts on using the "search" button than actual posts and threads that didnt find what they need or didnt use it in the first place.
Can there be a sticky that says...don't argue...especially with with Warrtalon...ESPECIALLY if you really feel you are justified? You'll never win and it's not worth it...
Old May 15, 2007, 10:35 AM

^^^ what they said, its fairly simple

Quick Reply: Someone explain the "2 step" launch control