Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Turn Stability

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Stability

I am currently having a problem taking high speed sweepers. For instance, on a highway entering a long sweeper in which the sugested rate of speed is about 50 mph, I would enter the corner at about 80 mph and the car will feel like the car wants to oversteer. At this point i can settle the body and then accelerate out the corner smoothly.
In any other car (fwd or rwd) i could enter the corner no matter the situation (early braking, set speed or acceleration upon entry), but in the evo no matter how i enter the corner it always feels unstable unless I am going ***** out into a corner.
Is there something I'm doing wrong? If anyone else experienced this when they first starting driving their evo hard please explain what you changed in your technique to copensate for the difference.
It feels as though the awd system is compensating for something that is not an immediate threat or something, if you understand from experience or explanation.
Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:43 PM

Anyone?
Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

in slow out fast..

try braking for your corners.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

I definitely second that. But brake in a straight line. With as front heavy as the EVO is, you definitely don't wanna be trailbraking on the street unless you're GOOD. The car defintely feels more planted with you foot in the gas hard but for that to work you gotta go in slow.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:36 AM

Id slow the car down before the corner; around the corner rather than being off the brake AND the accerlator, try being ever so slight on the accelerator; this generally settles the car.

...least in my experience it does.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:37 PM
Account Disabled

theirs a lot of things that can happen bad... most important is to not "lift' off the throttle in hairy situations...
the first night i owned an Evo my friend lifted off the gas in his evo and spun 180 degrees almost killing me and my ex.

Be careful during the first few month.. i know how intoxicating it is to have a new evo...
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have stock Yokohama Advan tyres? Are they all inflated correctly?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 07:59 PM

Yes i have the stock tires on there right now and they are inflated to the recomended pressure. I do have to change them before winter cause i dont want to find out how good the cold grip is.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Its a suspension geometry problem w/ the Evo.The camber will toe out under hard cornering in the rear...you want to get whitelines rear bumpsteer correction kit. I noticed an immediate improvement in tracking through the corners and alot less of the scary unsettling feeling of coming into the corner too fast
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:55 AM

Thanks, sounds like what i am looking for, I have been trying alot of different ways to enter the corner but they didn't seem to improve the feeling much. I will try that though.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by THUB
I definitely second that. But brake in a straight line. With as front heavy as the EVO is, you definitely don't wanna be trailbraking on the street unless you're GOOD. The car defintely feels more planted with you foot in the gas hard but for that to work you gotta go in slow.
you don't have to be that good. The ABS on the evo has a stability feature that picks up the angle of the steering wheel and how fast the steering wheel is turning. Using both inputs it applies braking power to the inside rear wheel, assisting your cornering ability.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

I tracked mine for the full 3 years I had it... IMO the feeling you are having is one or a combo of multiple things:
A) The car is not huge, but also not light... You're throwing a lot of weight around a corner for how fast the Evo can go around it.
B) The stock suspension is good, but not stiff enough to prevent body roll. I remember the body roll scaring the hell out of me.
C) Make sure you're not braking hard, the weight will be mostly forward, the ONLY way I've seen an Evo spin because of a driver (in other words the weather and tires were perfect) was under hard braking that unsettled the car
D) Trailbraking works GREAT in the Evo, unless you're not really trailbraking and you're hitting the brakes hard, trailbraking is a very very light application of the brakes (unless you're trying to get the car to rotate in the corner)
E) Lifting also won't unsettle the car THAT much though lifting will always unsettle any car... The Evo is different (than most) in that gasing more can actually help, since its AWD you don't need to worry (most of the time) about spinning out like you would in a RWD car (unless... of course, your engine is in the rear...)

You also shouldn't need to slow down a WHOLE lot, unless your state's recommended levels are different than Utah's... 50 mph has always been 80 for me, and hopefully you're not going much over 80 before the corner. In normal race driving slow-in fast-out is the right way to do it, but I doubt its the problem here.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 09:59 PM
Account Disabled

tap/brush the brakes to settle the car before the turn
Old Sep 17, 2007, 01:13 PM

UT_Evo has it pretty much spot on. Resisting the urge to lift off completely is a valuable tip as well if you're just starting out driving AWD.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

I came to the Evo from a FWD. I, at first thought my Evo very oversteery (not a real word, I know ) The steering for one is much more sensative than most cars due to the steering box ratio. That can make it "feel" to have more oversteer. Also, Evo's tend to be very neutral in high speed corners. Being neutral can FEEL like oversteer if you're used to FWD understeer tendencies.

I only trailbrake my Evo around corners I know VERY VERY well. Trailbraking an Evo takes *****, and skill. I someitimes exaggerate my trailbraking to create an all out drift just to scare my friends :P The car is very sensative to weight trasfer, which you'll find that if you lift mid corner or enter in a corner with no throttle, you're bound to oversteer.

I don't know how well experienced you are with driving in general, but before you do any high speed sweepers, go out to a track, or god forid, you're favorite backroad and start slow, but experiment with weight transfer and get used to the steering. It took me a week or so to get used to the steering. If you eneter a corner too fast under throttle, chances are you will not oversteer, you will understeer, and when that occur, you lift, but don't suddenly cut the throttle unless you're prepared to catch a snap oversteer. Only lift slightly.

I personally have a problem entering the corner too fast and have to trail brake of lift to correct my understeer. It's a habit I must brake. Very fun though once you get good at it. Evo's are very easy to control in an oversteer situation. Though you're sudden instinct would be to lift, or brake in a oversteer situation, don't. Do the very opposite, add throttle. If you've already broken the point of no return, clutch and brake. If the car is still catchable, add throttle. Everything happens so fast and it's hard to break instincts. I too have some instincts to break....

Good luck