Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Has anyone ever lost control

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever lost control

i was driving and foolishly turned to fast and my a$$ end swung out alot!!!! i paniced slammed on the brakes and slid more, just wondering if i am the only dumb a$$ who has ever done that. By me slamming on the breaks do you guys think it hurt anything because it made the jump feeling that all ABS brakes do when they are skidding is that bad? do you thikn my rotors are warped. And i know i am a dumb A$$ for slamming on the breaks cause that is the one thing you are not suppose to do in a skid.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

i'm was a dumba$$ too! .. it cost me a rim nd more .. tho i only have an OZ.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

If you are losing it, turn into the slide (ex. if your back end is sliding right, turn right). Do not slam the brakes - if anything, give it a little power to correct the slide. If you have to brake, tap tap tap until you straighten out a little bit...

How fast were you going to lose it?? I haven't come close to losing it and I have been flying through some freeway interchanges. I looped my S2000 once, but that's a different story
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

i slammed my brakes after coming into a lunging curve too quickly. my² was that a bad day.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure how much fast driving you guys have done, but the general rule of thumb is: "Break first, then turn and accelerate". It's not exactly law, but it is good physics.

When you break, most of the weight and most of the breaking force is loaded on the front tires; they are effectively planted more firmly on the pavement than your back tires. When you add a sideways (cornering) motion into this, the rear tires have much less force keeping them glued to the pavement and begin to slide more easily.

If you accelerate through a corner you can use the weight transfer to balance the load between the front and rear tires.

That is over-simplified, but its a good place to start.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

In the EVO if you do ever step it out, while off power of course, counter steering is good of course but use your right foot man. stomp on it and it will come right back in line. Obviously I would've had to be there to judge what the car needed for this particular instance, but it sounds to me like you maybe heard some tire complaining and got a little scared then got on the binders? I know a lot of people who think they are losing control simply because the tires squeel and it freaks them out so they mash the middle pedal...this will usually lead to disaster. VIII, you should go to an open track day or autocross where you can put that ***** where she belongs, have an instructor offer advice on how to drive it right, and you will have a helluva good time doing it. Don't worry, just don't drive too much over your comfort level until you get used to the car. At least you didn't have to add your name to the list of dead EVO's.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Only time I 'almost lost it' was hitting a 15MPH turn at about 45, all was well till about 1/2 way through the turn a truck rounded the corner taking up about 1/3 of my lane. So I punched it cranked the wheel a bit and all was fine.... Untill I hit the 2nd 15 going the opposite direction, so in the few feet I was straight I pushed the brakes real hard then back on the gas while cranking the wheel for the other turn. I didn't end up hitting anything or losing it but I got some nice smoke from the tires and my heart rate was about 200bpm.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Don't worry about your rotors. They can handle a panic stop without warping.

If you slid on dry pavement, you might have flat spotted your tires -- which would feel sort of like an out-of-balance condition, a vibration. I flat spotted my last set of tires on my RX-7 -- big 180-degree-spin with all four wheels locked up -- and I was just glad that the tires were almost due for replacement anyway.

And for low-speed skids with plenty of "run-off" room, hitting the brakes is not "the one thing you are not supposed to do" -- it's the safest thing, especially in a car with ABS. Competitive driving schools teach you in a memorable rhyme -- "when you spin, both feet in" -- meaning that once the car is out-of-control, push in on both the clutch and the brake and ride it out.

Obviously if your spin or skid is taking you into oncoming traffic, you should try to stop the skid at any cost -- countersteer against the skid and give throttle. But be careful, especially if you're in a RWD car, because it's too easy to overcorrect and wind up in an even harder spin in the other direction. Overcorrection should be less of a problem with an AWD Evo, but is still possible.

I agree with ricardon. Get yourself to an autocross -- much cheaper than an open track day. And when it's your turn to run, push your car like you've never pushed it before. You'll learn more in one day than you would learn in a year of driving on the street.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

I was on a back road and took a 15mph right hand turn at around 45mph. It was an extremely tight turn. About midway throught the turn my tires screech and my *** starts sliding way out to the left. It felt as if my *** end was sliding on ice. I freaked out cuz I had never had that happen before. I eventually stopped. What would have been the proper way to come out of the *** end slide? Give her some gas?
Old Jul 13, 2003, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

i slid in da rain in a parkin lot foolin around
Old Jul 13, 2003, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

well, what gear were you in when you slid
Old Jul 13, 2003, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

third gear, it honestly felt like i was on ice and had no control
Old Jul 13, 2003, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

how fast were you going man?
Old Jul 13, 2003, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by ricardon
In the EVO if you do ever step it out, while off power of course, counter steering is good of course but use your right foot man. stomp on it and it will come right back in line.
What if you stomp on it and you start out at 2000-2500rpms, or even lower? Is that enough power to throw the weight back, cuz obviously you won't have time to downshift.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 10:51 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jbrennen
"when you spin, both feet in"
When in doubt, both feet out; in a spin, both feet in

Good advice.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever lost control