Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Heel - Toe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my shoe size is 16....... to heel-toe for me is rediculously hard!!! i thought about cutting off my feet like midway... who needs toes anyways
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
to be 100% frank if u cant heelNtoe in an evo, changes are you dont really know how to do it yet. practice practice practice!
+1

IMO, the pedals are perfectly placed for heel toe driving both ways too. I will do the "rolling" heel toe(which works well for me since my size 13s have no trouble reaching with the side of my foot ) when braking normally and the actual "heel" toe under heavy braking. Noth ways I find to be easy.

...so short answer to the OP is "no"
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

i hardly wear shoes when i drive and i find myself having a hard time doing it with shoes on just cuz im so used to it without them
Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is all i need to heel-toe in the Evo...

i think it's easier to heel-toe on the evo than my civic Deluxe Xotic.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Yah im one of those that slide my foot off the brake partially and blip the throttle i have a hard time with size 13's doin heel toe but i still practice at it trying to get better with the flippers.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaz517
i hardly wear shoes when i drive and i find myself having a hard time doing it with shoes on just cuz im so used to it without them
My buddy NEVER wears shoes when he drives. The other night, two of my friends and I went out to dinner. Of course he drove there without shoes on. When we got there, he forgot he didn't have his shoes in the car. We had to go back, and ended up just making burgers on his grill at home, hahaha.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tkklemann
I don't do the heel toe thing, I find it more difficult than simply "rolling" your foot from the brake to the gas. I use about 1/4 of the right side of the brake pedal pad and the rest of the bottom of my shoe to reach the gas pedal. When I want to blip the gas, I kind of roll my foot to hit the gas, but keeping the far left side of my shoe still on the brake. At least the "heel-toe" tha I am thinking of is much harder to do than simply "rolling" you foot.

My best driving shoes that I love: Adidas shell tops, FTW.

Rolling the foot IS heel-toeing. AFAIK. So the wider the shoe - the easier it is. But i see some people actually use *heel* and *toe*. I suppose that works too, it's just very uncomfortable...
Old Nov 8, 2007, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mplspilot
Rolling the foot IS heel-toeing. AFAIK. So the wider the shoe - the easier it is. But i see some people actually use *heel* and *toe*. I suppose that works too, it's just very uncomfortable...
When you do it are you doing toe on the brake heel on the throttle? I dn't find that uncomfortable at all, personally.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 09:56 AM

You can always get some aftermarket pedals...I found that this help me a lot
Old Nov 8, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the heal and toe nothing to do with your foot size..../its your own foot ,so i think you got used to it already /
But if you try to learn and you find to hard to do it, specially designed pedals/for heel and toe/ is a BIG help for beginners. Nobody borned to do it. Not hard just need practice.
Matter a fact ,i like the heal and toe pedals. They looking cool.

the best shoe's i think these style ones:

http://www.saferacer.com/alpine-star...?productid=724
http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-spee...?productid=744

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 8, 2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

I find it really, really easy in an Evo. I own an 88 SC MR2 and the gas pedal is like 3" deeper then the brake pedal.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The EVO is one of the easiest car to preform a heel and toe on. No matter what type of shoe I wear, I been able to preform a heel and toe on the EVO. I have some Nissan and Subaru history. I think shoe size, leg room, foot position all make a difference and everyone developes their own variation to preform it. One thing I can say is practise, practise and then practise some more until it becomes 2nd nature ...
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

1) Buy Piloti's

2) Read Dave Coleman's article... Your Mama Can't Drive

3) Practice, practice, practice!!

Last edited by Zmann42087; Nov 8, 2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:54 PM

i found it very easy in the evo, a good way to practice is to just blip the throttle to downshift, when u get used to how much gas you need to smoothly downshift you can implement the braking into it
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:18 PM

Yeah, i guess i need more practice then. It seems like my brake pedal is a good bit higher than the gas, not any 3 inches like some of you guys were talking about. Im at school and my car is at home so come break times i know what ill be doing. It just seemed like the pedals are closer together and my foot was real big and all over both pedals so it wasnt smooth. I dont do it much in the evo, even in the S, so i just need to get used to it.

Thanks for all the input though. Practice will make perfect!!

Quick Reply: Heel - Toe