Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Snow Drifting?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Drifting?

I was watching this vid on youtube with some guy drifting an evo and an sti in the snow. What i want to know is, he spun the car on purpose and when it was backward put it into reverse and drove a bit. When is it safe to put the car into reverse, wouldn't the wheels have to be spinning backward so the input shaft would go into the reverse gear.

If the wheels were spinning forward still, the reverse gear would never engage correct? Or would the gear engage but then when you engage the clutch would it slow the tires down and then turn them backward. (of course the thing about the clutch would only work on snow cuz on the road the tires would spin backward them selves and the gear would engage obviously)

Idk if what i wrote describes what i want to ask well at all. but let me put it this way. If anyone can describe to me HOW a person can spin a car backward and engage the reverse gear and then drive. Then ill go from there, cuz i don't c how the gear and stuff would work out without grinding.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oki Panoki
I was watching this vid on youtube with some guy drifting an evo and an sti in the snow. What i want to know is, he spun the car on purpose and when it was backward put it into reverse and drove a bit. When is it safe to put the car into reverse, wouldn't the wheels have to be spinning backward so the input shaft would go into the reverse gear.

If the wheels were spinning forward still, the reverse gear would never engage correct? Or would the gear engage but then when you engage the clutch would it slow the tires down and then turn them backward. (of course the thing about the clutch would only work on snow cuz on the road the tires would spin backward them selves and the gear would engage obviously)

Idk if what i wrote describes what i want to ask well at all. but let me put it this way. If anyone can describe to me HOW a person can spin a car backward and engage the reverse gear and then drive. Then ill go from there, cuz i don't c how the gear and stuff would work out without grinding.
Its my understanding that it would be extremely difficult to put it in revers at any time the car is rolling either direction... I'm probably wrong. I wreck gearboxes, I have no idea how they work!

In the meantime, look through this page, it should help. Just watch for the revers idler and come up with your own theories:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm
Old Nov 28, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

it's possible because you have the momentum of the car going backwards and thus the wheels are going backwards so it's not different then driving in reverse and going to neutral then back to reverse.

it's a delicate timing game because you don't want to enter reverse before the momentum has you backwards properly.

lets assume you were going backwards on snow and the wheels were spinning forward... since you have no traction between the ground and wheels you could could tap the brakes and get the wheels neutral pretty easily - then go for reverse.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

yeah [I]blue[I], thanks. thats what i was trying to say when i said you would have to get the wheels going the other way. but i c. its as obvious as it sounds you gotta wait till the wheels r going backwards
Old Dec 20, 2007, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Also consider that he is on snow. Almost no friction. If you really want to try this ether find some snow or water down a parking lot. It will ease the stress on your vital components.

make sure there are no people in the parking lot...blah...blah...blah be smart about it
Old Dec 20, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

driving on snow is so much different than driving on rain or asphalt
Old Dec 20, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

^ yes you are right, but my point was that if he were to try this it should be on a low friction surface.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Just show us the video so we can see what you're talking about
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:03 PM

you need to be going very slow backwards and get it in reverse fast or be sliding sideways and put it in reverse.