Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Does this waste gas?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2007 | 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Stock
If you let the car coast IN GEAR, with your foot off the accelerator, the ECU goes into fuel cut mode and no gas is being injected into the engine. You can actually feel the fuel come back on if you let it get down to around idle, depending on the elecrtical load.
this causes a lean condition in the cylinders and therefore my EGT temp start to drop?

the thing that is curious is that at iddle my EGT is at 950F and while coasting they drop down to 600 or lower untill the car stalls i guess
Old Dec 19, 2007 | 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

If you let the car coast IN GEAR, with your foot off the accelerator, the ECU goes into fuel cut mode and no gas is being injected into the engine. You can actually feel the fuel come back on if you let it get down to around idle, depending on the elecrtical load.
we have a winner! all modern fuel injected cars cut fuel when you're coasting in gear. putting it in neutral wastes gas, but leaving it in gear with your foot off - uses no gas. (with the exception of throttle hang on the 05+ LOL)
Old Dec 19, 2007 | 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
this causes a lean condition in the cylinders and therefore my EGT temp start to drop?

the thing that is curious is that at iddle my EGT is at 950F and while coasting they drop down to 600 or lower untill the car stalls i guess

Nada, there's no combustion whatsoever as there's no gas. Lean conditions can actually RAISE your EGT's. Your EGT's drop because the only thing entering and leaving your combustion chamber is air.
Old Dec 19, 2007 | 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dexmix
we have a winner! all modern fuel injected cars cut fuel when you're coasting in gear. putting it in neutral wastes gas, but leaving it in gear with your foot off - uses no gas. (with the exception of throttle hang on the 05+ LOL)
This is true and when it gets to low the idle will kick in and you will feel the car bump forward. You will also notice the air/fuel gauge show rich instead of lean.
Old Dec 19, 2007 | 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Very true! it does that with most fuel injected cars. But you will notice when it gets to idle the car does sorta maintain its speed 3mph or whatever it is.