Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

what does dropping clutch to launch damage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thank god i never launched the evo even before i knew about the dumping thing. it was my common sense thoguh that help..there was no way i thought that dumping the clutch on a awd could be good on stock tranny and t-case..
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

yup, i launched on stock clutch, blew it, replaced with new aftermarket clutch and after just 2 hours of driving, i have to go back in and change transfer case. (soo much money $$$$$ it sucks!!!)
i was in a real **** hole, i was even thinking of selling the evo glad i didnt tho, and yes take advise, dont ever dump, if you HAVE TO launch, then learn how to let it slip then catch.
rebuilt used t-case is about 1700 alone, and if u dont know how to do it yourself, or dont have the tools, like me, it makes a huge hole in your pocket
labor = mad $$$$$
aftermarket clutch = 300-800 $$$
horrible feeling inside and missing ur evo =
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy crap, thanks now I don't even want to attempt learning to launch in my Evo. That is insane...Almost makes you want to save up for a shep/TRE T-case before even hitting the track.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My transfer case cracked after 1 launch with my new exedy twin disk. I guess my stock clutch was slipping more than I thought. Worst part is that when my tc case came out the input shaft to my tranny was broken, as well as the rest of the tranny. So I was out a tranny and transfer case all at the same time. $4k at TRE and I am almost back in business. Not to mention $2500 on the clutch install that saw very little use. So $6500 in drivetrain repairs/upgrades from drag racing.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

All the broken tranny / transfer case combos are almost always the Exedy Twin.
What's interesting is that this clutch has a real smooth engagement so go figure. A buddy destroyed his "combo" with ~350whp.

If you get a Exedy Twin, dont dump it unless you want a Shep / TRE tcase and tranny.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Apr 21, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by crazyitr
My transfer case cracked after 1 launch with my new exedy twin disk. I guess my stock clutch was slipping more than I thought. Worst part is that when my tc case came out the input shaft to my tranny was broken, as well as the rest of the tranny. So I was out a tranny and transfer case all at the same time. $4k at TRE and I am almost back in business. Not to mention $2500 on the clutch install that saw very little use. So $6500 in drivetrain repairs/upgrades from drag racing.
wow just wow...
Old May 1, 2008, 01:32 PM

Take these horror stories with a grain of salt, although do pay attention. Keep in mind these are mechanical parts. They can and will break. But also keep in mind how many cars don't have problems.

It really doesn't matter wether your drag racing, road coursing or autoxing. If you drive your card hard stuff will break. But not everyone will have catastrophic failures.

Doesn't matter if your in an Evo, and STi, or a Mustang, it's all relative.

Bottom line, if your going to play, be prepared to pay.
Old May 1, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by meffiez28
Take these horror stories with a grain of salt, although do pay attention. Keep in mind these are mechanical parts. They can and will break. But also keep in mind how many cars don't have problems.

It really doesn't matter wether your drag racing, road coursing or autoxing. If you drive your card hard stuff will break. But not everyone will have catastrophic failures.

Doesn't matter if your in an Evo, and STi, or a Mustang, it's all relative.

Bottom line, if your going to play, be prepared to pay.
True dat
Old Oct 5, 2008, 02:30 AM

Real quick question guys, I understand that its not good to dump the clutch otherwise damage may occur, what about aggressive shifting, like on a 1-2 shift and feel the impact to the rear diff?

Mods: Buscher Lower IC pipe, EBC 22-23psi, Cobb Access Port, Cobb TBE w/hi-flo cat.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 02:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All of the above is a no no in an EVO, easy on the launch, easy on the shifts. Altho in saying that, I also learned this the hard way, having replaced the clutch 4 times so far, the transfer once and a rebuild on the G'box.

Last edited by APEX'iEvoIV; Oct 5, 2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Why would u dump the clutch? I slip the clutch and still get wheel spin. No broken parts yet but im not pressing my luck. I rarely ever see the drag strip.

only launch when u have to
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by petersk2
Real quick question guys, I understand that its not good to dump the clutch otherwise damage may occur, what about aggressive shifting, like on a 1-2 shift and feel the impact to the rear diff?

Mods: Buscher Lower IC pipe, EBC 22-23psi, Cobb Access Port, Cobb TBE w/hi-flo cat.
I dont think slamming gears will break anything but wear the synchros out. If you get solid mount rear diff mounts you wont hear that thud from the rear on hard shifts.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
back on topic.

what doesn't launching hurt? probably the brakes
Old Oct 8, 2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dek0026
back on topic.

what doesn't launching hurt? probably the brakes
Clutch, Tranny, drivetrain components.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:24 AM