Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

What can an EVO handle for driving style?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can an EVO handle for driving style?

I hear of problems with the transfer cases, clutches, syncros and differentials on EVO's... I also hear of people taking them to the 1/4 track religiously. Is this a youre asking to break something? These cars can't handle high rpm clutch dumps I always thought unless you plan to replace something and quickly yet I see EVO after EVO at the track just revving up, bouncing off the rev limiter and dumping it for launch... Are these guys morons or am I underestimating what these cars can handle?

What is bad to do, and NOT bad to do in regards to fun stuff with these cars? Do's and don'ts please I am a bit puzzled as of late.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Most people at the tracks have upgraded clutches the stock clutch is weak and does not last long if the car is launched a lot of course some poeple say they have 50000 miles on their stock clutch and they take it to the track all the time but those are just exceptions to the rule, the transmissions are weak after too many launches, tires dont last too long about 15000 miles as are the brakes. Otherwise the cars are pretty strong
Old Dec 26, 2007, 05:53 PM

if you are seriously considering an X, any information anyone can give you on a VIII or IX is going to be completely irrelevant
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Most launches at the track rev up to their 2step rev limiter to build boost, and use a quick slip release method of the clutch. IF you were to dump the clutch you would most likely get tire spin and a bad 60'. Out of all the EVO's in the community I would estimate only about 10-15% have drivetrain problems, that were most likely caused by mis-use by the user.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 09:21 PM

longevity of the driveline depends 99% on the driver. NO car will ever last if someone who doesnt knows what they are doing just revs up the motor and dumps the clutch all day long, but with the right driving technique, these cars can last longer than people think
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by modena4re
longevity of the driveline depends 99% on the driver. NO car will ever last if someone who doesnt knows what they are doing just revs up the motor and dumps the clutch all day long, but with the right driving technique, these cars can last longer than people think
+1

you are not suppose to dump the clutch on these cars.... its all about slipping them, and thats where the stock clutch cannot keep up and wears out quickly. As far as being reliable, I think they are all reliable. It all depends on how you treat the car.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slipping the clutch at the right time and revving your car before the slip is ok. I got about 50 good launches with an ET of .5 or lower on my stock clutch. But i just happened to be GREAT at launching. I was beating other evos with aftermarket clutches and two step modes off the line.......but of course they would run me down with the upgraded engine power back then.......

Treat your car like you wanna be treated and everything is good. I drag occasionally and i got the exedy, new brakes and lines, clutch line and some other goodies. IMO learn how to drive hard with the stock stuff so when you get the good stuff you will know how to treat it and drive right..............good luck and speed safely
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya 15,000 on my stock clutch with numerous 5400 launches. In the beginning was a bad learning experience with lots of burnt smell and scary high RPM slippage. but its all good know with no problems.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Although in the videos it may look like mayhem and a clutch dump but in fact it's probably the 2 step and a preloaded drive train followed by a quick slip of the clutch. The Evo can be a tricky car to get off the line and yes.. clutch dumps with upgraded clutches will break parts.. tcase, tranny, diffs etc. Dont try to side step your car especially if you have an aggressive clutch.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

You're basically asking what you can do to abuse the car and not have any negative byproducts from it. The answer is nothing.

I don't care who you are or how well you drive, everything that is done in the car outside of normal driving is technically abuse. Even the famed "2-step" is considered abuse, just a lesser version to dumping the clutch.

The clutch, tranny, and transfer cases are going to wear with any heightened use. There's no way around it, only ways to minimize it. You've gotta pay to play my friend.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cssaddictm4
Most launches at the track rev up to their 2step rev limiter to build boost, and use a quick slip release method of the clutch. IF you were to dump the clutch you would most likely get tire spin and a bad 60'. Out of all the EVO's in the community I would estimate only about 10-15% have drivetrain problems, that were most likely caused by mis-use by the user.

I am very good at launches w FWD and RWD however I've never done it with an AWD car and I wouldn't want to use my EVO as a lab rat... can someone teach me how to do this and do it right without actually doing it on MY car?