Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Cold (and Fishtailing) Return to Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold (and Fishtailing) Return to Las Vegas

Let me start off by saying, yes, I posted on the same topic last year. This appears to only be a problem when it's cold here in Las Vegas - exiting a corner in 2nd gear under boost (totally stock car) creates a wild, fishtailing, tail-happy Evo for me.

If you're not from around here, you know our roads are slick - most of the time, when I break traction there's *no noise* (or warning) from the tires. This is very creepy.

Interestingly enough, the same turn at the same speed in 3rd gear under boost doesn't produce nearly as bad of a result. Is it just because the power ramps on so much more aggressively in 2nd gear under boost? Is the solution simply to drive less aggressively?

I would sincerely appreciate being taught how to rectify this so that I can have normal cardiac function while driving in the cold.

There's no snow on the ground (although it did snow last night), no ice, and no water. Just the standard Vegas slickness combined with the cold.

It's quite the buzz kill as you never know where the limits of the car are so I absolutely *creep* along in the turns.

Thanks in advance!

BoostLover99
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

You should just do the 3rd gear thing. In 2nd you are pushing much more torque through your drivetrain, thus the oversteer.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Are you on the stock Advans? Is not slamming the gas on that particular corner an option?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Are you on the stock Advans? Is not slamming the gas on that particular corner an option?
Yes, stock Advans. Slamming on the gas is physically an option - just not mentally.

I've never slammed the gas on in a corner and I'm deathly afraid of what might happen (intuitively, coming from 10+ yrs of FWD cars) if I do.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Have you had the alignment checked? I'm just thinking of things that could cause the car to go wild on you.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stay out of boost...wrong gear if you want to stay in control...put 200ibs of sand in the back like the rest of the folks with Snow/Ice issues and hope for the best.. So you better undertsand...the roads a slick because of oil on the roads and slight condensation on the roads surface mixing with the oil...making a slick track.. Good luck...
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Have you had the alignment checked? I'm just thinking of things that could cause the car to go wild on you.
Not recently but it's on my list now.