Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Learning to drive standard tranny on an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learning to drive standard tranny on an EVO

As the chance of my owning an EVO becomes larger and larger, I realize that I still have never learned to drive a stick shift. I have no friends or family with manual tranny cars either, so I'm kinda stuck when it comes to learning. I was considering finding some used car for $200 or less and pretty much killing it. I haven't been able to find anything that cheap that is also stick shift though.

Would you discourage somebody from learning on an EVO? After reading so much about the stock clutch, I realized that it might not be so bad if I'm going to replace it eventually. But will my 'education' also hurt the drivetrain or transmission itself? I wouldn't want to seriosuly damage expensive parts of the car with incorrect shifting techniques.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

dude i learned on my evo and it is not hard. believe me, i thought i was NEVER gona be able to learn but now i dont even got to think about it. the olnly thing i dont like is stop n go traffic, cz your left leg gets tired cuz of the clutch.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

In my opnion I think you should keep looking for a cheap beater car.. you could probably learn ok on the evo and not damage anything too major unless you are really horrible and never get any better...

But I still STRONGLY suggest buying a 200-500 beater car that you can just kill.. understanding that EVERY manual car drives a bit different, but once you learn how to drive a 5spd the difference is slight and can be learned in just minutes
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:39 PM

doesnt anywhere rent stick anymore?
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

If buying a cheap "disposable" manual transmission car is an option, go for it.

But first have somebody who does know how to drive stick shift check the car out to make sure it doesn't have clutch or synchro problems. I drove a rental Ford Festiva once whose clutch I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, and my own 21-year old Porsche sometimes takes a bit of trickery to get into 2nd gear due to a worn out synchro. Learning stick shift is tricky enough without using a defective car.

And if you have your choice among cheap beater cars, choose the highest-powered one -- learning stick shift in an underpowered car can let you pick up some bad habits which you'll need to break in an Evo.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

thats a really good idea.. id check that oui.. i dont think i hsvr drrn any places in my area that does though
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Just avoid grinding the gears in your evo . Definitely get a beater, or practice on your friends' cars like I did
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Revolutionary
doesnt anywhere rent stick anymore?
I don't think so.

I learned to drive stick on my Evo, only took me about 40miles. Once you learn you'll never forget.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:37 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

The Evo clutch is very forgiving when brand new. It quickly goes downhill after that though.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:44 PM

Well, I'm not completely ignorant as to how a manual tranmission works. Besides understanding how the transmissions and engines work in standard cars, my dad's been driving manual cars his whole life. In faact, his current car is the only automatic he's ever owned. Plus, I've read this a couple of times. I think it'll help me get started when I first sit down in a manual car.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

If you haven't already, I highly recommend reading a few pages on how manual transmissions work.

The basics of driving stick are pretty easy but being able to visualize why you would want to rev match, double-clutch, heel-toe, etc. really add a dimension that will have you driving smoother sooner.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 09:39 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

http://www.skipbarber.com/

Don't just learn to shift -- learn to heel&toe and double clutch, too -- and for less than a decent "beater" would cost you.

Personally, I don't really like the feel of the EVO's clutch. It's not particularly linear and a bit too "hair trigger" for a pedal mounted that high.

Or maybe it's just that I'm not used to that much room in the footwell.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

I also learned on the Evo, nothing wrong with that. I drove sticks a few times before, like 10 years ago, but never owned one. I sucked pretty bad on my test drive. Anyway, I really don't think there's a problem unless you try to launch it or something. I just go out driving around town at night, when it's less embarrasing.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love slanging the evo around. its hella easy to heel-toe downshift, and general clutching for me is good. Almost feels Honduh smooth....
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Yea...Don't worry about it...The Evo is a really easy car to drive...Stalling the car is pretty hard to do..

-John

Quick Reply: Learning to drive standard tranny on an EVO