Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Manual Driver Noobie Question?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manual Driver Noobie Question?

I been driving a Evo X GSR for 3 months now (1st manual car I owned) and most of the time I never let off the gas on 2nd gear when I'm accelerating past 3000rpm to get to 3rd gear. But just recently I rev the 2nd gear to 4500rpm and was about to shift to 3rd gear but the car in front of me braked so I let off the gas immediately and my Evo buckled (jerked back and forth 3-4 times) violently as it felt like the engine is trying to drag the car down. I didn't hit the brakes I just let the Evo coast down in second gear. That violent jerk, is that normal on 2nd gear because I never get that on 3-4-5th gear when I rapidly release the gas pedal at rpm's above 4k. I know that violent jerk comes in 1st gear just I never though I'll experience it on 2nd gear. Anyone has an explanation for this?
Old Aug 17, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valid questions if you don't have a lot of stick shift driving experience. Normal cars and trucks with manual transmissions don't behave nearly the same as the evo due to the fact that there is a lot of running gear, but a small motor with a fairly light flywheel.

Another way to say it is the heavy car really works against the small rotating mass and flywheel of the 2 liter. Big trucks with a real heavy flywheel can be started in 2nd and 3rd gear and when you let off the power in the low gears, the whole thing doesn't buck and complain as much. You'll kind of have to learn to drive it different. I had the same kind of problem coming from my 6spd nissan xterra. totally different drivetrain and flywheel weight.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike100
valid questions if you don't have a lot of stick shift driving experience. Normal cars and trucks with manual transmissions don't behave nearly the same as the evo due to the fact that there is a lot of running gear, but a small motor with a fairly light flywheel.

Another way to say it is the heavy car really works against the small rotating mass and flywheel of the 2 liter. Big trucks with a real heavy flywheel can be started in 2nd and 3rd gear and when you let off the power in the low gears, the whole thing doesn't buck and complain as much. You'll kind of have to learn to drive it different. I had the same kind of problem coming from my 6spd nissan xterra. totally different drivetrain and flywheel weight.
So, basically your saying it's normal for the jerkiness to occur on 2nd gear upon rapid release of the gas at high rpms for a car of this nature.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

why wouldn't you let off the gas to shift to third gear?
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by itzcharlez
why wouldn't you let off the gas to shift to third gear?
I think you misread what my situation is. I wasn't in the position to shift to 3rd gear because the guy in front of me suddenly hit the brakes. I simply immediately let off the gas and coast to him while still engaged in 2nd gear.

On a side note I do let off the gas when I shift between gears.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:36 PM

the bucking is no good if you do it repeatedly

try to smoothly let go of the gas, press clutch and brake
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

in situations like that i depress the clutch as soon as i let off the gas and then brake. it takes away the bucking
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
edited

Last edited by dek0026; Aug 19, 2008 at 06:00 AM. Reason: retarded response
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by itzcharlez
in situations like that i depress the clutch as soon as i let off the gas and then brake. it takes away the bucking
+1
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has happened to me in 1st gear when I don't depress the clutch fast enough in these situations but never in second gear. But maybe it is normal because the evo is heavier and mechanically different than my lancer, I guess.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike100

Everything he said... Plus the fact that at 4500 rpms you're likely in boost. Boost to no boost = jerk. A lot of the high powered light weight cars I've been in do this, especially in 2nd gear. 1st gear would probably be even worse. 3rd - 6th shouldn't be problems.

If you put in the clutch to shift to 3rd, and then let it out when you realized you needed to stop, that would definitely cause a jerk (of course). Next time, since you're stopping, you should just push in the clutch.

Originally Posted by raytrix
I been driving a Evo X GSR for 3 months now (1st manual car I owned) and most of the time I never let off the gas on 2nd gear when I'm accelerating past 3000rpm to get to 3rd gear. But just recently I rev the 2nd gear to 4500rpm and was about to shift to 3rd gear but the car in front of me braked so I let off the gas immediately and my Evo buckled (jerked back and forth 3-4 times) violently as it felt like the engine is trying to drag the car down. I didn't hit the brakes I just let the Evo coast down in second gear. That violent jerk, is that normal on 2nd gear because I never get that on 3-4-5th gear when I rapidly release the gas pedal at rpm's above 4k. I know that violent jerk comes in 1st gear just I never though I'll experience it on 2nd gear. Anyone has an explanation for this?
This is what people are concerned about and what itzcharlez asked about. Which has nothing to do with your issue. Except that you may be tearing your drivetrain apart. Understand the components of a clutch system before you ever dare not letting off your foot from the gas. Go google it, and you should be able to figure out that if you don't let off the gas, one part is spinning, the other is not... and you basically try to shove them together. Most times this might work, the time it doesn't.... could be the last time you even have a 3rd gear.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Also, at 4500 RPM, you are building boost pressure, then immediately slamming the throttle body closed is going to make the BOV open and dump all your boost. Leaving the clutch engaged leads to what the above posts mention, your jerky sensation.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:02 AM
RT
Evolving Member

^ Correct! Raytrix, you have what we like call the "humpty-bump". Your Evo wants you to get on with the shifting or she'll throw you through the windshield! And as others pointed out, after boost has started to build you must push in the clutch to let things settle down. Holding the gas on between shifts isn't helping either, if you change your mind between gears, push the clutch back in and lift or this will happen every time.

Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Its like trying to shift at High RPM, its not going to be as smooth as shifting at 2000
Old Oct 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
unless racing you should always let off the gas between shifts

Quick Reply: Manual Driver Noobie Question?