Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

How do you shift fast?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
How do you shift fast?

No ******* the newbie driver, since this is my first manual I've had for 2 months. I can't seem to shift fast smoothly for some reason, so I need to ask you guys how you do it when you race. If you can lead me through step by step, what's doing what at the same time you're doing something else, I'd appreciate it (how far you push the clutch in, when exactly you shift in relation to clutch press, when to gas, etc).
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weither i'm shifting fast or slow i always put the clutch to the floor
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

k, but this is my problem...I shifting as fast as I can (could still be improved), but I still get the rough shift that jerks you rather hard.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

slower release on the clutch just a tad , i jerk sometimes, are you flooring it? when you get the jerk?
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Thoe99
k, but this is my problem...I shifting as fast as I can (could still be improved), but I still get the rough shift that jerks you rather hard, when it engages.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by apursell
slower release on the clutch just a tad , i jerk sometimes, are you flooring it? when you get the jerk?
Hehe, I get all caught up in the moment, that I clutch in, shift, clutch out, and floor it, like it's an on/off button.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Are you rev matching on your shifts? By that, I mean give enough throttle while the clutch pedal is depressed to get the engine to the correct speed for the new gear.

There are two ways to shift a manual silky smooth -- either you rev match with the throttle (the preferred way) or you let the clutch pedal out really slow (rev match with the clutch -- which causes excessive clutch wear).

If you rev match well, a passenger in your car won't be able to feel the clutch re-engage. If the clutch re-engagement can be felt by the occupants of the vehicle, the revs weren't matched well enough.

One other thing to do with a manual transmission -- try holding the shift knob with just three fingers and pretend that it's an egg. Slamming the gear selector around with a lot of force is not the way to go.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

you've been driving manual for 2 months, so only if its in your nature, you will learn it through time. Just start slow and work your way up, you'll soon get the hang of it You just have to feel the "sweet spot"
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jbrennen
Are you rev matching on your shifts? By that, I mean give enough throttle while the clutch pedal is depressed to get the engine to the correct speed for the new gear...Slamming the gear selector around with a lot of force is not the way to go.
No, I don't rev match when I try to speed shift, since it takes a while for the revs to slow down for the next gear. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you want to shift faster than that?

Also, slamming the shifter into gear is that bad?
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

rev matching is for down gearing, as you want to rev alittle to get the rpm's up to match for where it's gonna be when you shift down..not for shifting up.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, I'm talking about up-shifting only.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

just don't think about it

my roughest shifts are when I'm actually concentrating on shifting.

it gets easier and you don't even think about it.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:01 PM

It will take time and practice.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Rev matching is for all shifts, not just downshifts.

If you are near redline in 1st gear and shifting to 2nd, that comes to about 4500 rpm in 2nd. If you are at 3500 RPM in 3rd gear and shifting to 2nd, that also comes to about 4500 RPM. Either way, I'm going to give throttle to keep the engine at 4500 RPM until the clutch is fully released.

It is true that on upshifts, you can get a smooth clutch engagement by timing your release of the clutch pedal to match the engine's deceleration through the correct speed. Try that if you want, but if you go totally off throttle while shifting, your timing will have to be pretty spot on -- and if you're not totally off throttle, then you are at least making an attempt to rev match.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:10 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep the gas on the floor. Do not lift up. Depress clutch and shift before the rpm tags the rev limiter. If you bounch the tach you are too slow. Feel the power of the shift when excuted properly. This method is the most brutal on the clutch "since our clutch is on the weak side" but products the best 1/4 mile results. The fear of over reving the engine will force you to shift ASAP and dont' miss the gear to prevent blow something

Anyways if you road race do the same but lift 1/2 of the gas and shift as fast as you can. The weirod part is that 2nd gear on our car doesn't like to be speed shift. Either the sycron don't want to keep up or clutch spring engugement problem.

Just my opinion.

If you go to a road track i'm sure they'll teach you how to rev-match heel toe and etc.

Last edited by gtr; Aug 28, 2003 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: How do you shift fast?