Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

spun out today, what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
like everyone has said so far....

learn to drive.

never floor it with the wheel locked in one direction...DUH. what did you think was going to happen? get the car str8, or at least str8 enough to where you can control it with the steering wheel (countersteering if necessary) then floor it.

go learn some car control, or wait till traffic slacks up.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like mentioned above, at minimum go autocross a few times. You likely won't lose corntrol but you'll understand driving near the limit much better. A Car Control Program is a good idea as well.

At 516hp, anything that happens will happen quickly and if you don't know what to do the consequence can be really bad. The biggest perforamce investement you can make is in the driver.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

I have done the same thing before but on purpose, so I was ready and powered/steered through it.
Like the other guys have said go to an auto x or track day. Being from Texas you probably dont see snow. Too bad because its the best way to learn car control.
Auto x is cheaper and less seat time but still a lot of fun. Track day or HPDE high performance driving event is more expensive but there is much more seat time, lots of classroom training and an instructor in the car with you teaching you.
Just my opinion but this is the best way to learn how to drive your EVO. Trust me you'll love it even more after one of these events.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Hello Booster9. Combine your 430 lbs of torque with cold street tires, lots of throttle (with boost) and rapid steering inputs and you will cause the car to go loose and basically go into a powerslide. You have way more power than grip for most surfaces so you have to be careful on the throttle and make your steering inputs smooth.

Go easy on the gas when turning and only give it the boost once your done turning. Otherwise it will want to come out and around.

It would be a good idea if you could safely find a way to test it out and get used to how much or little it takes to make it break loose and then what happens if you hold it and steer into it or quickly let off the gas.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
guys, old thread... and booster9's gonna be in more trouble later since he gets to build his motor since his cam broke!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Duh - didn't bother to note the date on the original post. I was thinking wow - he got his motor fixed quick. haha.

Once he puts that new stroker in, he'd probably better run around on the street with a block of wood behind the gas pedal just to keep from spinning like a top

I kid .. I kid...
Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:41 PM

allways ,allways stay in the gas,point and shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by booster9
so i was taking a left on a busy road coming from a parking lot. i had a window and i went, only to notice the big huge lifted silverado (yes im in texas) was DEFINATLY flying at me and wayy faster than anyone should ever do on that road.

anyways, i noticed the silverado and floored it, (my car was sitting for about an hour so the tires where probly cold too.) and yanked the steeringwheel to the left to get into my lane, and ofcourse i accidently hit boost and hte backend went out, making my back fly out and my nose pointed sideways about to tbone someone in the other lane.

what should i do if something like this happens (not me slowing down etc. i am not a wreckless driver, it WAS a mistake my ?? is if the backend shoots out like that what should i do) i have done this once before, but it was under different circumstances, i tried to correct it and the back end went out the other way.
Wow you spun out in an AWD car from a stop, usually you have to be trying to do that on purpose. Well the Evo from my experience will go where ever you want it to as long as you're pushing the pedal and pointing it in the right direction. It's the only car I've ever driven that when I take a sharp turn I accelerate rather then slow down. I've spun out in RWD cars on accident, but I have yet to spin out on accident with my Evo. The way to prevent this is by not cutting the wheel so hard and hitting the accelerator at the same time. That's how I make my car spin out on purpose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb4XDQfFbZs
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Lot's of smart as* comments here and some good ones. Letting off too fast, digital mentality with the gas and brakes was mentioned. These are things that come with experience in those situation. I have broken the rear end loose several times turning left and right. Ease off the gas pedal enough for the car to get traction and then roll in the throttle again. I am glad someone else isn't posting how you are pushing up daisy flowers.

Dirt motorcycle riding or liter bike riding will get you gentle with rolling the throttle in and out.