Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

clutch techniques

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch techniques

Ok, first of all I'm not asking how to be a FnF ricer or anything like that, just asking about something I've heard about and done a few times.

Driving in 2nd or more likely 3rd, within the powerband, floor the gas, and push the clutch in and release quickly, while keeping the gas floored. in my FWD eclipse, it seemed very natural and safe, spun the tires and got a huge acceleration.

Ive done it twice now in the Evo, the boost immediately hits high and pulls so hard, with maybe a slight tire chirp.. I'm just wondering how great this is for the drivetrain. I have an exedy stage 2 clutch.

Doing this with the clutch feels like it pulls harder than just if I just floored it and let the boost build or if i even downshifted.

so what am i breaking here, if anything?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Racer
Ok, first of all I'm not asking how to be a FnF ricer or anything like that, just asking about something I've heard about and done a few times.

Driving in 2nd or more likely 3rd, within the powerband, floor the gas, and push the clutch in and release quickly, while keeping the gas floored. in my FWD eclipse, it seemed very natural and safe, spun the tires and got a huge acceleration.

Ive done it twice now in the Evo, the boost immediately hits high and pulls so hard, with maybe a slight tire chirp.. I'm just wondering how great this is for the drivetrain. I have an exedy stage 2 clutch.

Doing this with the clutch feels like it pulls harder than just if I just floored it and let the boost build or if i even downshifted.

so what am i breaking here, if anything?
You're talking about flat-foot shifting, it's hard as hell on the clutch and drivetrain (transmission and diffs). If you can afford to upgrade things, keep doing it.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:29 PM

so in a roll race, what would be a good(safe) technique for taking off? brake boosting?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

take off on 2 instead of 3. What you are doing is just clutch kicking in a straight line. Doesnt do anything except shock your tranny and losing traction, hence the tire chirp. So stop that. Just lay on the gas like a normal person. Oh yea, IBTL.

Last edited by Pure EvoIX; Apr 11, 2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Racer
so in a roll race, what would be a good(safe) technique for taking off? brake boosting?
Taking it to the track rather than a ****ty, ricey, street race.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Its a lot of abuse on the clutch, and entire drivetrain but this technique is not as bad as from a standstill (launching). Either way dont be surprised if something does let loose. You know the saying. If you want to play you have to pay.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as someone said, you're clutch kicking. there's no point to do that in a str8 line. all you're doing it tearing up your car for no reason. you're not going any faster, you're actually making the car go slower. clutch kicking is used in drifting if the revs start to drop too low around a corner and the rear wheels are about to start gripping, you kick the clutch to get the revs back up and cause it to lose traction. there's no use for it whatsoever in an EVO or a FWD car other than to make you look like an idiot and to destroy your car. you'll mess up the clutch, tranny, and diffs eventually.

brake boosting is when you hold the brake while driving to put load on the motor to help build boost while moving. then you floor it and release the brake and it gives you a little boost.