Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Parking the car in 1st

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2003, 12:34 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in hills, so I just made a habit of parking it in 1st (sometimes second, doesn't really matter, right?) with the ebrake on. Sometimes on really flat ground I'll park it in gear with no brake.

You have to push the clutch in to start it anyway (at least on the Lancer I know) so those people who stall do it because they are used to letting the clutch out right after starting and don't realize the car is in gear, right?

I never thought about the TT issue, but one guy I know put a remote start in his Lancer, so he has to park it in neutral (and put something in the clutch sensor)
Old Oct 21, 2003, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never had the problem of stalling it immediately after starting up. I always have same routine as i always park in 1st with the parking brake on

get in car... check stick to see if it is in gear or not...push clutch in while applying brake... start car.. engage gear of choice... drive off...

How much does a turbo timer run and is it more beneficial than just idling the car for 30 seconds or so before and after driving?

mike
i

Last edited by shiplemw; Oct 21, 2003 at 07:08 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by nobuyuki
1st if pointing uphill, reverse if pointing downhill...
I was taught to do the exact opposite of this... Park in first if you're pointed downhill, reverse if you're pointing uphill.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by jomagi

first if you're pointed downhill, reverse if you're pointing uphill.
hmm... that seems counter-intuitive to me.
if you're pointed downhill, you wanna stop from going foward
if you're pointed uphill, you wanna stop from going backward...

does anyone have any ideas?
I don't have a lancer (yet... unless i move to jp) but in a modern car (mine probably doesn't count as modern) will it even make a difference? I don't know the technical details of how that works especially in a modern car...
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:18 PM

to quote my friend

you are supposed to put the car in the opposite gear of the natural roll of the car.
so if the car would roll back put it in first
and vica versca
Old Oct 22, 2003, 05:13 AM

Well, I can tell you that I have parked my car in first pointing downhill and reverse pointing uphill, without the parking brake, and it doesn't roll...
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:16 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

it doesn't matter if you put it in first or reverse, that just determines the direction the motor will turn IF it does start rolling. Just the act of putting it in a gear uses the resistance of the sitting engine and trans to keep it from rolling. But I would not recommend doing that without the e brake on a hill, as it will put more strain on your drivetrain, plus if the engine does give way, it will roll too easlily.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 12:17 PM

thanks for the insight
Old Nov 25, 2003, 09:30 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Actually when I went to auto-school back in Europe (which is obligatory to even take the driving test) they teach you if you park on the hill to leave the car in 1st if pointing uphill and reverse if pointing downhill PLUS turn the wheels towards the curb (or hill or any barrier) if parked nose down or wheels away from curb if parked nose up. If you didn't know that, you could have failed the practical test (driving).
All I can say is that the US license exam was a joke compared to the one I went through back home.
Sincerely I wish they teach people some more stuff here and than raise the speed limits because of the safer drivers

edit: actually I'm not even sure myself anymore about scenario with nose up and wheels towards or away from curb / barrier
It was in 1993

Last edited by SoR; Nov 25, 2003 at 09:33 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

ISSUE WITH YOUR IDEAS!;

OK,, You just parked your Lancer/Evo on a street like you do every night.. you lift the parking brake (it is strong enought to keep the car from rolling away) and some *** hole bumps you or worse pushes the car trying to park or by accident.. If you have it in any gear what the hell is that going to do to your motor or transmission?????? I just use the parking break and forget about putting it in gear. there are many car instruction manuals out there that say it is bad to leave the car in gear while parked! Ill have to re read the EVO manual but i think it is in there too!!! Ohh yea.. and the service deparment said don't do it as well. Ill get back here after I find it again in an owners manual!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Parking the car in 1st-389369_75_full.jpg  
Old Nov 26, 2003, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

I always leave my car in 1st and put the parking brake on. I've seen more than a few parked cars roll down the street because of bad e-brakes. I have never had drivetrain or transmission problems.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:03 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Depress clutch
Start car
Move shifter side to side to test for neutral.
Move shifter into 1st then to 2nd then back to neutral to confirm neutral.
Let out clutch and idle... provided I'm not pulling away immediately.

Always done it that way and never had a stalling problem at startup.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

i park with ebrakes and 1st gear. 1st gear is the toughest because its designed to take the most punishment... leaving the car in 1st shouldnt cause any strain on the tranny unless your car gets hit from the back and forces the car forward
Old Jan 18, 2004, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

I just park it into neutral and pull the e-brake.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

I usually have it in gear with the park brake on, and out of habbit i always start my car with my foott on the clutch, a good point EvoVIIIGuy made, what if someone hits your car real hard when its parked? i don't think it would be very good for business.

Quick Reply: Parking the car in 1st