Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Driving Shoes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have used the Piloti Prototipo for a couple of years, but recently switched to the DC Chicane. I most say that I prefer the Chicane. They are comfortable all day when walking and have a great pedal feel.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:17 AM

Pilotis are the worst! They have such a wide heel, that it gets crowded when braking w/ the left foot. If you dont need SFI certified shoe, I prefer to use wrestling shoes. Im using Asics Matflex. It has very thin/flexible soles w/ very narrow heel.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This brings up a question I've been pondering. Evo noob here, going to start hitting some track days and AutoX.

Problem is my size 14 4E feet. Heel-toe is not possible for me. Not enough room in that pedal area for me to turn my foot for that. A friend of mine with a similar issue drives an STI and told me about spanning the brake/throttle with the width of my foot and rocking side to side for heel-toe type operation.

This actually works for me with my New Balances on (wide at the ball of the foot). The narrower soled driving shoes might not be as friendly for this.

Any of you guys battle the 'big feets' issue?
Old Nov 26, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

vans old school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......... ............................
Old Nov 26, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

I wear my steel toe shoes. More weight. Lol.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
I have two pairs. Piloti Sebring (brown leather):

and Piloti Prototipo (green suede):

I guess it's fair to say they're better to drive in than many shoes, but I would not call them "driving shoes" by any means. The soles are like a half inch of hard rubber. It's hard to bend the shoes if you pick them up and try, so no way can you bend the soles with your foot while driving.

Of course, I'm comparing them to Puma Speedcats like these (BMW Sauber), which are an absolute joy to drive in but can beat up your feet on long walks. I can deal with that though. I'll be buying more pairs of these, but I don't ever see myself getting Pilotis again unless I get a great deal.

the idea is to keep them from bending and relieve foot fatigue, so it sounds like those Piloti's are doin their job to me!

im pretty happy with these... 40 bux for nomex! classy looking, thin but stiff sole, great feel and stiff enough you literally only need a toe to heel toe. only down side is the tongue moves around on you but 40 dollars for an attractive FIA approved shoe Ill deal with it.
Backstreetshoes.com has been selling these dirt cheap for months now.

Last edited by heel_touge; Nov 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDavenport
This brings up a question I've been pondering. Evo noob here, going to start hitting some track days and AutoX.

Problem is my size 14 4E feet. Heel-toe is not possible for me. Not enough room in that pedal area for me to turn my foot for that. A friend of mine with a similar issue drives an STI and told me about spanning the brake/throttle with the width of my foot and rocking side to side for heel-toe type operation.

This actually works for me with my New Balances on (wide at the ball of the foot). The narrower soled driving shoes might not be as friendly for this.

Any of you guys battle the 'big feets' issue?
I use the same method, though I am only a size 11. I am 6'2" and there simple is not enough leg room to use my heel.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 07:31 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by heel_touge
the idea is to keep them from bending and relieve foot fatigue, so it sounds like those Piloti's are doin their job to me!

Thats why I love the Prototipo... got 2 pairs. My feet were cramping up and then I got the Piloti's and the problem went away.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:07 PM

Try driving with these...

when I worked for the cable company I had to wear those boots to work.

usually I wear skate shoes, got some DVS Munition Snow Jones now

Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

I like my 5.10 tennies for driving. http://www.rockclimbing.com/gear/Sho...nnie_1078.html

JDaavenport -- I think that actually using your heel and toe to downshift is a thing of the past. Cars today generally have the pedals close enough that you can use the side of your foot to blip the throttle.

If your feet aren't wide enough, just get a $20 set of sparco pedals.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by heel_touge
I disagree but hey, to each his own. The way I see it, if I want to drive in shoes that don't let me really feel the pedal, I don't need to buy "driving shoes" .
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:12 AM

Skate shoes. lol

Comfortable, flex enough to let me feel the pedal but not enough to make me tired, smooth bottoms to allow for pivoting and easy shifting from pedal to pedal... Can walk in them and, if you get the right pair, look good lol.