Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Driving Techniques Dos and Don'ts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2004, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the manual says shift before 3.5k RPMS for best fuel economy.. so about 3k i think is good
Old Jun 18, 2004, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Making a joke right? As best shift point on the EVO and the Lancer is right around 5500 to 6000 when trying to maximize acceleration. Always shift to maximize torque (not horsepower). But for fuel economy.. sure 3.5K or less.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for those considering track driving there is some good beginner info at http://welcome.to/nwarc
go to events, then performance driving basics
Old Sep 5, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Mark, just out of curiosity-I saw you post another thread about street racing and the immediate deletion of the said post upon discovery. I know the logical reasons for this, but are there any potential problems occuring with Johnny Law regarding those posts, and your involvement allowing them to be on the board? Just wanted to know...
Old Sep 6, 2004, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

I know a good DO NOT for the EVO. DO NOT lift off the gas too fast on a high speed corner. Small corrections are your friend, and even if you are too hot, better to push a little and scrub off speed. Otherwise, if you lift too fast, your *** will come out and if you don't get back on the gas, you will spin. The EVO is very forgiving as far as trail breaking goes until you do it excessively at moderately high to high speeds (~60mph+).
Old Sep 7, 2004, 09:24 PM

totally new to mitsubishi

Hey I got a couple of random questions....first, what's the difference between doing double clutch using your heel and toe compared to regular heel and toe...are they actually the same thing? Second, I drive a mr2 so I'm just wondering what evolutions redline at....I saw some1 post 6500 but do stock evos rev that high to utilize it's full hp?
Old Sep 8, 2004, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dacrazydude
Hey I got a couple of random questions....first, what's the difference between doing double clutch using your heel and toe compared to regular heel and toe...are they actually the same thing? Second, I drive a mr2 so I'm just wondering what evolutions redline at....I saw some1 post 6500 but do stock evos rev that high to utilize it's full hp?
Please do a search, I've seen those questions answered numerous times.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by forty
i have two questions.

1. What is drifting?

2. my questions regards RPM's i just got done reading about the RRM header and someone had asked ROCK which was better the RRM header or the one by KAMAKAZE, his answer was this..

now my question about the RPM's is this.. what do you guys normally shift at, this is the first car i have owned which happens to be a manual. ROCK says that Kamakazi header produces greater performance over 5k rpm, and that his is more tuned for lower RPM performance. how many of you shift over 5k? and if you do i would asume you are driving it hard. and when your not driving hard when do you normally shift.. for me it goes as followed.

1st. 4k
2nd. 4k
3rd. 4k-4.5k
4th. 4-4.5k

if anyone could let me know how there driving, it would be much appreciated.. thanks in advance..

Drifting is when, around a corner, you force the rear end of the car to lose some traction (usually by giving a RWD or AWD car lots of gas) It is a balance between losing control and spinning out and staying straight. It is keeping the car between those 2 extremes.

As for speeding illegally, it is so temping. There are times to do it (open freeway, during the day) and times you don't (busy freeway, city, anything residential is STUPID).
Old Dec 9, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by datsun boy
AH Auto cross! Hey all, I was at a BMW event and just about beat out all the BMW's out there but they had a interesting course absticle that troubled me. They had a turning circle that cost me a lot of time. Looks like the EVO 8 has a really bad turning radius. This was my second autocross event. Anyone have a good tecknique for those turn abouts? It was a full 360 plus and a quarter. Hey but we beat out the new 2003 M3! But we could have done better!
If you're asking about how to make a 360 auto-x turn and beat an M3, my analysist is this:

Both of you were not doing a good job. Granted with the proper setup and driver, the M3 would not be that far off of your time or would definitely beat you.

in an auto-x 360 turn with the evo, you need to look at the deepest cone in the turn as you approach. This will tell you how much braking you need to apply. When going around the circle, stay as tight as possible on the inside cones and start tip-in on the throttle as soon as you can see the exit cones. The evo turns amazing well and turning radius has jack -s h i e t- to do with the circle.

Your problem was that you were going to hot into the circle and was putting all of the vehicle's weight on the outside front tire which caused you to go wide. If you completed your braking properly while entering the circle, you should be able to coast the car tightly on the inside cones and make fine adjustment to the throttle but still stay tight. That is the quickest way around the 360 turn that you are talking about.
Old May 2, 2005, 03:36 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here what I would suggest. Don't listen to people on this board, including myself. everyone needs to find their own driving skills to fit their needs.

Because not every technique is right for everyone.

Just study what's out there, there are enormous amount of resource out there, then pick the ones that you think you could do and need.

that is all for me.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 03:13 PM

I am amazed there are so many... legends surrounding performance driving.
Left foot braking. Can be used to:
a) "bring the nose down", shift the weight forward during cornering thus killing understeer: you can use it at corner entry, at the apex and even at the exit. For example my R5 will corner like a dream on gravel, nice lift-off oversteer but it snaps back to understeer at exit. A gentle squeeze on the brake pedal with the left foot and understeer is gone. NOTE: you have to be very gentle, else the car will oversteer. Just practice. I still haven't gooten it quite right,
b) to make the car oversteer/drift. During corner entry you bury your right foot (make sure your gear is low enough) and apply the brakes with your left.
I have practiced a lot on gravel and on snow and I can say that I can get the b) right almost everytime and a) from time to time.
E-brake:
Just leave it alone. Use it only when the turn is so tight, you'd have to stop and reverse the car to negotiate it. If you have/want to use it make sure you push the clutch in (or else your centre diff will suffer: unless it decouples itself as soon as it detects e-brake application: newer Evos have this gadget I think). TURN FIRST then pull e-brake, else the car won't turn. Practice and concentrate on this: the aim of using e-brake is not dragging the rear of the car but just to give it a kick so that it starts to slide. The thing that brings the rear around is INERTIA not locked wheels. Just give the e-brake a little jab before the turn's apex and mash the gas.

Oh, and letting the gas off while exiting a corner is a bad ide in any car I think.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 08:43 PM

can anyone drive their manual transmission car as smoothly as if it were an automatic? is that even possible? if you can please tell me how... i've been driving manual for years now and its pretty smooth.. but when you shift and you're going from pressing the gas to nothing for even a brief moment there's always some momentum still going... i hate seeing my passenger's heads bob =/
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you have to shift extremely fast to do that or drop to neutral acceleration right before each shift.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ricetezza
can anyone drive their manual transmission car as smoothly as if it were an automatic? is that even possible? if you can please tell me how... i've been driving manual for years now and its pretty smooth.. but when you shift and you're going from pressing the gas to nothing for even a brief moment there's always some momentum still going... i hate seeing my passenger's heads bob =/
impossible to do with traditional manual transmissions. you're always disengaging and re-engaging power from the engine, so you WILL lose momentum. hence, the beauty of a dual clutch. if you've ever driven those you'll fall in love with how quick the shifts are. amazing stuff.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:52 AM

Its better to get your new car done by engine breaking.It will help improve torque and power too.Dont be scared to race ur engine as new engines comes with a very tight pistons.

Quick Reply: Driving Techniques Dos and Don'ts