Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

drifting

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2002, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drifting!!! I'm here!!! Me and my buds used to drift all the time in Okinawa, till Aujya got shut down. Darn Po-po's !!! Anywho, FF & 4WD can drift. Very hard, but they can. Using the e-brake is one of the best, easiest ways to drift (mostly for RWD's). *WARNING! - practice in WIDE, OPEN areas where there are no obstacles and where you won't drift into anything solid till you understand how your car will turn in a drift since all cars turn differently. Don't over-estimate your driving skills. This is a whole new ballpark.*

Drive straight and a tad fast... 40km/h or 20mph will do. Do a 3/4 full turn one direction as fast as possible and jab (quick, hard push) the brake pedal down. When you start to feel the weight of the car shifting, and pull up on the e-brake and release the brake pedal. When the back tires start to slide, e-brake down , slam on the gas, and counter steer to keep the front tires pointed in the direction you want to go if they too lose traction (4 wheel drift is thbest kind, look and feel). If the RPM's get low and don't go redpoint quickly, downshift. If your drifting, redpoint tells you that your tires lost traction, which is good.

Things to consider: Low center of weight is good. too high and weight shifts more so you'll roll easier<--- VERY bad. Hard, Tight suspension is almost a must when safety is concerned. Sometimes sports don't cut it, so racing is best (but be a bumpy ride when crusin). Strut bars help you not spin more than you wanted, but won't help with the drift if you under. i did a whole bunch of 180's and 360's before putting in some strut bars and I started gettin good at drifting. Oh...

Know the difference. Tail whipping is losing traction after a turn while you want to lose it before when you drift. Powersliding is different than drifting since you lose almost all your speed when you powerdrift and you don't need to counter steer unless you tailwhip afterwards. Drifting while not turning but still going straight is not drifting, but Chokudouri-ing. Perfect/great drifts are when the car is or just less than parallel to the straightaway after the turn for the last *about* 3/4 of the drift. I post this part because i'm tired of people who say they can drift, but do something totally different. Any questions?
Old Sep 25, 2002, 03:17 AM

I used to drift my 89 MR2 it's fun as hell!

and i ditched the cops on a nice gravel road too!! hehehe..
Old Oct 25, 2002, 08:38 AM

is there any other method of drifting besides the handbrake for FF cars?!?!
Old Oct 25, 2002, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
using the E is the only thing on the FF cars
Old Oct 26, 2002, 06:06 PM
In Timeout

Red face AE86 Drift King

The Toyota Levin AE86 is a RWD 1600cc leight-weight rocket.
I've never heard of anyone drifting a FWD car like the OZ.

An Evo, on the other hand...
Old Oct 26, 2002, 06:30 PM

im not claiming to be a pro or anything but i was abel to get my lancer sideways without handbrake and kept it going for about 3-4 seconds. just came inot a corner faster than normalgot the car to the cornering limits and dab the foot brake quite hard. the back end came out. quite fun i have to say.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 09:23 AM
In Timeout

Thumbs up Guts

Yeah. It's the kind of thing you feel in your guts.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

It is not really too hard to make the rear lose traction. I do it all the time in a small s curve on the way home. Since it is a one lane s curve i do not have to worry about oncoming traffic.
The hard part is getting back up to speed again because only the back will break loose and the front keeps traction. Have not been able to make it drift yet. just loos grip on the rear.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:33 PM

i think i mastered drifting, if drifting is just losing traction. cuz i can now drift into anything. curves, cars, trees,. you name it...
Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

i drove my friend's stang gt the other night. 295's on the rear. made a right turn onto a street, mid turn i punched the gas in 2nd gear and the *** immediately started to come around. i let off the gas to get traction, then punched it again. damn i wish i had that power
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:23 AM

Drifting

What is drifting? Imagine entering a tight corner at a speed normally reserved for cruising only on freeways. As the vehicle loses it’s ability to adhere to the ground, you flick the steering wheel, sliding the tail out. Smoothly applying throttle and counter steer, your vehicle tightly clips the apex of the corner in a controlled sliding motion., while maintaining speed throughout the corner for fast exit to the next corner.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

I only drifted in snow in a big *** lot. I guess safety comes first so I wont attempt to drift intentionally on the streets. It is real fun, but after a while once you got it down the fun factor went away.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spike0089
The CG is good in Battle Stage, its really good, I like the art work in second and third stage though its a lot better. If they make a Fourth Stage it will be cg like battle stage or better prolly.

I really want to see the Live Action Initial D movie coming out =)
There is a fourth stage and the artwork looks a little bit better. I think the CG is still about the same. Not really sure, haven't watched most of it but I've seen 4 episodes already. Pretty good.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Okay... Well there yah go, you know what drifting is.

But.

Don't drift. I've done it many times... And also ****ed up my car because of it... It's really hard on the internals, and the suspension...And tyres. If you do it incorectly (or correctly, depending on your style I guess), you might leave flat spots in your tyres, which is annoying on the normal roads.

But even drifting on snow is fun.. But it's a different ball park on dry, don't expect the physics would be the same, the traction levels are obviously different, therefore, you will get different results. Showing off to your friends in a warm summer day isn't fun when your entire car starts hoping. But then agian I guess it depends if you have a lancer with no weight or 1/2 ton more weight. I feel the heavier the car, and the lower of center of gravity, the easier to drift. Ie Nissian vechiles.

Just my two cents.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Nissan vehicles are the best. Mainly the 240SX/Silvia. I love that car.

Initial D is a pretty good show. I kinda didn't like how Keisuke Takahashi was drawn. I got used to it eventually.

As video games go:
The game's alright. Drifting in that game... there's just something about it. It's a game. That's it. The drifting physics of that game is similar to that of Mario Kart Double dash. They're awesome games. Don't get me wrong. I do like the fictional drifting, because it's like getting the chance to do something that you wouldn't/couldn't do on public roads.

Has anyone here played Kaido Battle 2: Chain Reaction? I highly recommend that game. Try it out if you have the chance to. Yes, I know it's a Japanese (PAL) game. If you stumble upon it- try it out!

Quick Reply: drifting