Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

launching

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
launching

ok so i saw a post somewhere on how to launch my evo. in it people mentioned using the built in 2 step so when i raise my rpm slowly with the clutch engaged in first it whoomps but its around 6000 rpm was that person wrong i have an evo 9 btw
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
was the person wrong about what?

what is the question?

I'm assuming you bought the car used?

could have an aftermarket tune with a raised 2 step
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

given your on the stock ECU, have the clutch pushed all the way down, bring the RPM's up to 5,000, within a second or two the ECU will realize its in 'launch mode', once in lauch mode give it a few seconds to fully build the boost, then slip the clutch a little and boom your off. have fun, be safe, and dont break your transfer case
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

i launch mine at 5500RPM and it goes. well still gets the lag.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

If your evo is modded and you bought it that way there's a good chance the previous owner had the 2 step raised, stock is around 5k rpm from what I've been told. Mine is tuned and set to 6k as well. Launching your car properly is highly dependant on the way it's set up. Do you have high performance tires on the car?(i.e. falken rt-615's/yokohama advans/dunlop star specs/bridgestone re-01r's) Or do you have a softer sidewalled tire like an all season(kumho ecsta asx/toyo versado, etc.) Are they stock width or are they wider? Do you have super stiff coilovers/springs or stock suspension? How much power is the car making? Stock clutch or upgraded?(6 puck, twin disk, triple disk)? Bigger turbo with more lag? These all need to be considered when launching the car to do it right.

Generally speaking launching an evo with the 2 step is fairly simple, the last step changes based on the way your car is configured. It goes like this:

- Make sure the car isn't moving
- Hold the clutch to the floor
- Engage first gear
- With the clutch still fully depressed and the car in first gear, floor the throttle. The revs should rise and stay at a pre-determined rpm(i.e. 5k, 6k, etc.)

This is where it gets tricky. Depending on how much power your car has and what kind of clutch you're using, you may have to do things a bit differently here. There are several methods I've heard of that have all worked for the people that used them, including myself.

One way to do it is like this:
-With the clutch still to the floor and the throttle floored as well, slowly back off the clutch until you feel it start to grab and chatter a bit, then sidestep it to let it engage fully and off you go. This was the method a friend of mine used on the stock clutch with minor boltons and summer tires(sticky ones), and a mid 5k rpm 2 step, and is generally considered the correct way to launch.

Another way to do it would be to just dump the clutch the way I did, which worked for me because of my less grippy tires, weak clutch, and power upgrades. I'm making a bit more power than stock(340 whp) and still using the stock clutch, so this wasn't as damaging to my drivetrain as a similar attempt with summer tires and a twin disk clutch would have been.

A more powerful clutch will grab harder and be less prone to unintended slipping at launch, but at the same time must be intentionally slipped initially using the first method I mentioned or there's a good chance you will break something. For example, completely dumping an Exedy Triple Carbon clutch on a set of racing slicks with only mid 300 whp will most likely result in your transfercase going boom. Grippy tires without enough power to spin them causes wheel hop at launch, which is pretty bad for your drivetrain. An ideal launch involves a little wheelspin to prevent damaging shock to your transfercase, transmission, axles, and differentials.

A third way to launch your car would be to not use your 2 step at all and simply feather the gas a bit while feeling for the right release point as you slowly raise the clutch from the floor. Some people actually prefer to launch the car this way as it allows the turbo to build boost a bit differently. If you have a bigger turbo on the car that's laggier, your launch must be adjusted accordingly to compensate for this so you don't bog down as soon as you're off the clutch. If you could tell us more about your setup maybe we'd be able to help you out a bit better.

Hope this helps, I'm by no means a guru but I've had my fair share of launches and figured I'd share what I know.

Last edited by NYCFJV7; Apr 3, 2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Good info.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 02:10 AM

That guy is a champion!
Old Apr 4, 2010, 02:23 AM
Shy

Hello interesting info.....

alot of my friends broke transfer cases upon launching, mostly they had ralliart twin disc clutches
some has 2.3 +Greens
other 2.0 + red

Any advice on th best way of launching to avaoid what happened to them in the future?

BTW, i heard there is some kind of device you can install to control your launching, any info abt that?

Thanks!
Daniel
Old Apr 4, 2010, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Launching is simple.

Step 1: Stop

Step 2: Push in the clutch

Step 3: Put the car in first gear

Step 4: Let the clutch out to find where it engages and hold it just before that (it'll make it easier to slip/dump)

Step 5: Floor the gas, and hold it to the floor. You will start bouncing off the 2-step at 5000rpm and build around 10psi.

Step 6: DO NOT let off the gas pedal at ALL, slip out the clutch until you feel it grab, then let go.

Step 7: DO NOT let off of the gas pedal until you shift to 2nd gear. The gas pedal should be held to the floor from the beginning until you shift to 2nd.

Step 8: Continue shifting gears accordingly.

that's how i've always done it, and it was good enough to get me and my basically stock IX MR to 12.82 @ 107.41 with only a cat back, no tune, no other power adders, a boost leak, and a possibly slipping stock clutch.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 08:45 AM

yeah thanks i had a friend with an eagle talon freakin out saying i cant launch above 3500 rpms my car would break every time ive done it it launches awesome wanted to make sure that my engine wouldnt break
Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sessanator18
yeah thanks i had a friend with an eagle talon freakin out saying i cant launch above 3500 rpms my car would break every time ive done it it launches awesome wanted to make sure that my engine wouldnt break
Your engine will be fine, just don't overdo it with the launches(i.e. every opportunity you get) and don't sit there bouncing off the rev limiter between gears or while spinning the car like a top. It should last you. I used to have a '97 eclipse, the build quality wasn't anywhere near that of the evo IX's 4G63. I'd worry about something else going before your engine, like the clutch, transfercase, or differentials.

Originally Posted by Dhanna
Hello interesting info.....

alot of my friends broke transfer cases upon launching, mostly they had ralliart twin disc clutches
some has 2.3 +Greens
other 2.0 + red

Any advice on th best way of launching to avaoid what happened to them in the future?

BTW, i heard there is some kind of device you can install to control your launching, any info abt that?

Thanks!
Daniel
Very hard to determine what went wrong in those situations based on what you've told us. When launching the car the weakest link has to give out, which most if not all of the time we want to be the tires. I'd advise them to stay on top of their transmission and transfer case fluid changes. If they're running twin disk clutches I'd also recommend slipping them a bit more next time around so there's less of an impact on the t-case, and maybe some less grippy tires as well. A built t-case wouldn't hurt either, but that's lots of money. Hope that helps, it's very general advice as I'm not really sure what went wrong with their cars.

I've heard of that device before, it's usually referred to as a "WOT box" if I remember correctly. I have no experience with those, so I can't really offer anything in that department. Sorry . Launch control can be adjusted with a tune, so I'm not sure if they're even necessary on an evo.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

What about when you're at the staging light...

-Wouldn't it be better to pull the e-brake up to lock up? This also prevents moving off the staging light and having to reload. I'd pull the e-brake up and have the clutch almost to breaking point drop the e-brake slip the clutch hit the gas and go.

Let me know if that would be a bad technique.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.almeida

-Wouldn't it be better to pull the e-brake up to lock up? This also prevents moving off the staging light and having to reload. I'd pull the e-brake up and have the clutch almost to breaking point drop the e-brake slip the clutch hit the gas and go.

not necessary. the more steps you add to an already simple process, the more you give yourself ways to screw it up. the method I posted is how you launch the car. simple, effective. all you've got to do now is go practice.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 02:03 PM

im going to the drags on wednesday for street night ill let everyone know what worked best for me
Old Apr 4, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mr.almeida

That's the way i launch my car because i hate over stagging the lite. As soon as i hit the second beem i pull the e-brake up with my finger on the button.

I ran a best time of 12.61 at 315 hp maybe less cause i put 100 oct in and turned the boost up without a tune on 100 oct. My afr's were pretty rich on the runs. Now i have a new setup and goin to the track this weekend weather permiting.. Good luck!