Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

how to do donuts on an evo.......

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
go a parking lot, do a Scandinavian flick and and full throttle. You will spinnin' all right

ROb
Old Jun 11, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo unknown
There is no way to not F it up. It just puts so much strain on your whole drivetrain and your power steering pump from having the wheel turned the whole way the whole time. Even in snow things can get F'ed up. I was doing donuts in snow and when I left the parking lot my the whole car was shaking..turned out I threw off the balance of my wheels and had to get them rebalanced.
probably you just got snow stuck on your rims that is why were shaking. Or you just something.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTisRule
Ignore all these posts, it's hella easy, and if done right, not any harder on the drivetrain than any 1/4 mile launch would be....

Do it in the wet/snow/dirt, minimize stress to all rotating components.
Start off in 1st, turn the car to approximately full steering lock, accelerate in a circle until the car starts pushing on the front end. When it's pushing, roll off the gas, you'll feel the front end 'lift' up as it starts to gain traction again, then mash the throttle good and hard (Pay attention, be smooth, don't bounce off the rev limiter.) This will send the back end spinning. From here, control the turn with the gas pedal and steering wheel, the car will be up on plane of the tires, and it's an amazing amount of fun. Evo's have enough power to shift to 2nd if you want, but you have to be really fast and smooth, avoid anything 'jerky' to avoid drivetrain shock. For god's sake (and your Evo's) don't dump the clutch. Be smooth, this totally goes for use of the clutch, and especially the gas pedal. Mashing it to the floor and staying there will just break all the tires loose and you'll be all fast and furious bouncing off the rev limiter also giving the tires a chance to catch up to the moving speed of the road. Now it's gonna hook up, and possibly hook up hard and bad!

More gas = faster spin!

This will work every time to get the car doing donuts, guaranteed. You just have to pay attention to the weight transfer and feel, get the timing down and you'll be doing donuts in no time!

I also wouldn't do it for long periods of time. It will heat up fluids in the diffs/transfer case quite quickly, so go have fun, but don't be silly about it. A good rainy day on a skid pad is always the preferred method of donuting.

My factory IX wheels are mounted with Blizzaks. In the winter, they get a ton of snow trapped inside the wheel itself, that was without donuts. The snow alone was enough to make it feel like I had a bent wheel. Heck I pulled over on the side of a freeway the first time it happened because I thought something was massively wrong with the car. Turns out it was just snow packed in the wheel making it feel so miserablly out of balance.
Originally Posted by buchnerj
Snow or water. Dry pavement and donuts in this car is a terrible idea... Donuts + AWD and sticky tires = blown drivetrain.
We essentially said the same thing, mine was post #2. Why ignore my advice? I just said, make sure there is snow or water. And that on dry pavement i.e. sticky tires and donuts + AWD is a terrible idea.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buchnerj
We essentially said the same thing, mine was post #2. Why ignore my advice? I just said, make sure there is snow or water. And that on dry pavement i.e. sticky tires and donuts + AWD is a terrible idea.
let see!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by munster87
Why would you want to do donuts? There's no point.
Why would you want to drag race a rally car? There's no point.
The following users liked this post:
LancerSRT4 (Dec 19, 2016)
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
Why would you want to drag race a rally car? There's no point.
somebody already ask me that question......
just for fun ......not trying to f... up my ride!.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only combination that really works on dry pavement is a stroker motor...
The 2.0L you'd have to keep the RPMs up pretty high on dry pavement

Stroker + (30psi+ spike) on a stock frame turbo= Donuts easily
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if its that hard with a 2.0L

I can just say its that easy with a 2.3L
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I just saw a video with Ken Block, this is very tempting!
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlueX702
I just saw a video with Ken Block, this is very tempting!
nice
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

any more advice how to do donuts?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:24 AM
PPM

Cool

Originally Posted by GTisRule
My factory IX wheels are mounted with Blizzaks. In the winter, they get a ton of snow trapped inside the wheel itself, that was without donuts. The snow alone was enough to make it feel like I had a bent wheel. Heck I pulled over on the side of a freeway the first time it happened because I thought something was massively wrong with the car. Turns out it was just snow packed in the wheel making it feel so miserablly out of balance.
I had the same problem with the snow. I thought I bent a rim at the least, I was pretty certain I had bent a axle as much as the wheel was shaking in my hands I was pretty confident it was the front drivers side axle and almost ordered the part before I took the car home to start dissemblance I stopped at the car wash. After I finished washing my car I noticed it was totally fixed.

Ok now back to the donuts I did them on dry pavement all of the time awesome smoke and attention getter. JUST DON'T REV TO 8K AND DROP THE CLUTCH!!!

You can also put your Evo in reverse start backing up I prefer turning the steering wheel to the left then floor the gas and turn it to the locked i.e. all the way to the left and you will be doing reverse donuts; now while you are doing that and happy with your circumference of your donuts slowly start turning the wheel to the right and then quickly all the way to the right.

Class Dismissed!!!

Have a great week everyone I am going to be disasembling my Evo 8 Again this weekend, I just took the whole car apart to replace the clutch but when I drained the tranny I noticed a lot of metal "hairs" in my oil and stuck to the drain plug magnet. So I now have a new ACT HD Clutch Kit, ACT StreetLife Flywheel, and now I am going to send my Transmission to Shep for a rebuild. So I will be a busy for a couple of days. I can't wait to get the drivetrain / car put back together so I can put my Kelford 272's in and get it dynoed and tuned again. Mind you this is a fresh motor, I purchased a 2003 Evo 8 4g63 with only 18k miles on it and installed it this past winter. ;-) See you guys at the track.....
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PPM
I had the same problem with the snow. I thought I bent a rim at the least, I was pretty certain I had bent a axle as much as the wheel was shaking in my hands I was pretty confident it was the front drivers side axle and almost ordered the part before I took the car home to start dissemblance I stopped at the car wash. After I finished washing my car I noticed it was totally fixed.

Ok now back to the donuts I did them on dry pavement all of the time awesome smoke and attention getter. JUST DON'T REV TO 8K AND DROP THE CLUTCH!!!

You can also put your Evo in reverse start backing up I prefer turning the steering wheel to the left then floor the gas and turn it to the locked i.e. all the way to the left and you will be doing reverse donuts; now while you are doing that and happy with your circumference of your donuts slowly start turning the wheel to the right and then quickly all the way to the right.

Class Dismissed!!!

Have a great week everyone I am going to be disasembling my Evo 8 Again this weekend, I just took the whole car apart to replace the clutch but when I drained the tranny I noticed a lot of metal "hairs" in my oil and stuck to the drain plug magnet. So I now have a new ACT HD Clutch Kit, ACT StreetLife Flywheel, and now I am going to send my Transmission to Shep for a rebuild. So I will be a busy for a couple of days. I can't wait to get the drivetrain / car put back together so I can put my Kelford 272's in and get it dynoed and tuned again. Mind you this is a fresh motor, I purchased a 2003 Evo 8 4g63 with only 18k miles on it and installed it this past winter. ;-) See you guys at the track.....
nice
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Watch and learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWPiNLX6jzk
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by B-Spec
Nope

watch and learn :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_CUjhvg84A

Quick Reply: how to do donuts on an evo.......