Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

how to do donuts on an evo.......

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to do donuts on an evo.......

simple as that just wondering how to start doing donuts without f.....g your car!...
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snow or water. Dry pavement and donuts in this car is a terrible idea... Donuts + AWD and sticky tires = blown drivetrain.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no way to not F it up. It just puts so much strain on your whole drivetrain and your power steering pump from having the wheel turned the whole way the whole time. Even in snow things can get F'ed up. I was doing donuts in snow and when I left the parking lot my the whole car was shaking..turned out I threw off the balance of my wheels and had to get them rebalanced.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah its bad for the car. But if you wanna do it anyway drive in 1st gear slowly then turn wheel farin one direction or the other and start turning. When your turning push in the clutch while you pull the ebrake and let the car jump some revs. Relase the Ebrake then release the clutch proceed to hang on.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:52 PM

^ i like your style
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=SwishaSweet;8389874]Yeah its bad for the car. But if you wanna do it anyway drive in 1st gear slowly then turn wheel farin one direction or the other and start turning. When your turning push in the clutch while you pull the ebrake and let the car jump some revs. Relase the Ebrake then release the clutch proceed to hang on.[/QUOT

hope my tc handle that
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Snow or water. Dry pavement and donuts in this car is a terrible idea... Donuts + AWD and sticky tires = blown drivetrain.
some rainy road......
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Ignore all these posts, it's hella easy, and if done right, not any harder on the drivetrain than any 1/4 mile launch would be....

Do it in the wet/snow/dirt, minimize stress to all rotating components.
Start off in 1st, turn the car to approximately full steering lock, accelerate in a circle until the car starts pushing on the front end. When it's pushing, roll off the gas, you'll feel the front end 'lift' up as it starts to gain traction again, then mash the throttle good and hard (Pay attention, be smooth, don't bounce off the rev limiter.) This will send the back end spinning. From here, control the turn with the gas pedal and steering wheel, the car will be up on plane of the tires, and it's an amazing amount of fun. Evo's have enough power to shift to 2nd if you want, but you have to be really fast and smooth, avoid anything 'jerky' to avoid drivetrain shock. For god's sake (and your Evo's) don't dump the clutch. Be smooth, this totally goes for use of the clutch, and especially the gas pedal. Mashing it to the floor and staying there will just break all the tires loose and you'll be all fast and furious bouncing off the rev limiter also giving the tires a chance to catch up to the moving speed of the road. Now it's gonna hook up, and possibly hook up hard and bad!

More gas = faster spin!

This will work every time to get the car doing donuts, guaranteed. You just have to pay attention to the weight transfer and feel, get the timing down and you'll be doing donuts in no time!

I also wouldn't do it for long periods of time. It will heat up fluids in the diffs/transfer case quite quickly, so go have fun, but don't be silly about it. A good rainy day on a skid pad is always the preferred method of donuting.

My factory IX wheels are mounted with Blizzaks. In the winter, they get a ton of snow trapped inside the wheel itself, that was without donuts. The snow alone was enough to make it feel like I had a bent wheel. Heck I pulled over on the side of a freeway the first time it happened because I thought something was massively wrong with the car. Turns out it was just snow packed in the wheel making it feel so miserablly out of balance.

Last edited by GTisRule; Jun 10, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

"On" or "in" an Evo? B/c ON would be one hell of a trick.

-Ant.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTisRule
Ignore all these posts, it's hella easy, and if done right, not any harder on the drivetrain than any 1/4 mile launch would be....

Do it in the wet/snow, minimize stress to all rotating components.
Start off in 1st, turn the car to approximately full steering lock, accelerate in a circle until the car starts pushing on the front end. When it's pushing, roll off the gas, you'll feel the front end 'lift' up as it starts to gain traction again, then mash the throttle good and hard (Pay attention, be smooth, don't bounce off the rev limiter.) This will send the back end spinning. From here, control the turn with the gas pedal. Evo's have enough power to shift to 2nd if you want, but you have to be really fast and smooth, avoid anything 'jerky' to avoid drivetrain shock. This totally goes for use of the clutch, and especially the gas pedal. Mashing it to the floor and staying there will just break all the tires loose and you'll be all fast and furious bouncing off the rev limiter also giving the tires a chance to catch up to the moving speed of the road. Now it's gonna hook up, and possibly hook up hard and bad!

More gas = faster spin!

This will work every time to get the car doing donuts, guaranteed. You just have to pay attention to the weight transfer and feel, get the timing down and you'll be doing donuts in no time!
good looking out bro!....
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo unknown
There is no way to not F it up. It just puts so much strain on your whole drivetrain and your power steering pump from having the wheel turned the whole way the whole time. Even in snow things can get F'ed up. I was doing donuts in snow and when I left the parking lot my the whole car was shaking..turned out I threw off the balance of my wheels and had to get them rebalanced.
Some people should never voice their opinions...you happen to be one of those people.

Strain on the power steering pump? Where does your logic of thinking come from? How many times have you done a doughnut and had the wheel slammed to one side? EVen if you did...it's no big deal. It's only a strain if you don't have any fluid in the tank.

-Ant.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:56 PM

Why would you want to do donuts? There's no point.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by munster87
Why would you want to do donuts? There's no point.
i saw a friend doing it and i just like it.....
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:06 AM
PPM

I thought it was easy and I never broke a thing. I started out with a larger circumference circle, i.e. steering wheel not turned so tight at about 1/2 throttle as the car started to break loose tighten the circle full turn and smoothly push the gas to the floor, I have done numerous donuts, including going from rotating left to rotating right without missing a beat and cars in the parking lot to avoid. I should mention that the local police usually frown upon this and I did get a driver spinning wheels ticket one time. lol Good luck and have fun, that is why we purchased a car like the evo because it is fun to drive. Different stokes for different folks.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PPM
I thought it was easy and I never broke a thing. I started out with a larger circumference circle, i.e. steering wheel not turned so tight at about 1/2 throttle as the car started to break loose tighten the circle full turn and smoothly push the gas to the floor, I have done numerous donuts, including going from rotating left to rotating right without missing a beat and cars in the parking lot to avoid. I should mention that the local police usually frown upon this and I did get a driver spinning wheels ticket one time. lol Good luck and have fun, that is why we purchased a car like the evo because it is fun to drive. Different stokes for different folks.
'nuff said...
The following users liked this post:
Ryan Clarke (Apr 18, 2020)

Quick Reply: how to do donuts on an evo.......