Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

shifting question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2003, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifting question

alright 2 shifting questions. (im new to it, only been driving stick 2 months)

first off i heard its possible to shift without using the clutch? is this true? how is it done? and has any1 here experimented with it? i dont plan on doing it im just asking for curiosity.

next question is about downshifting.. How exactly do you downshift? I do it but im sure you guys are more advanced know more ect.. what i usually do is if im turning or slowing down at a sign or what not ill throw the car into neutral then guess my gear as im moving which works pretty well... When do you downshift usually? Does doing what I do effect the car in anyway?

thx a lot to all who respond.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Down shifting is lots of fun when you know how to do it well. When approching a turn you put clutch in put car from 3rd to 2nd give the engine a rev to match RPMs with the clutch and then release the cltch.

To answer your first question it is possible to shift with out eh clutch on up-shifts. This requires your car to be at high RPM when you are doing this. It is commonly called power shifting. I have never done it but have read about it when motor trend was using a corvett to do it in.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

i dont get it, why would i rev the engine before releasing the clutch...that doesnt seem to make sense for me and how high would i rev? i drive a stock evo 8.. and is this the same for all gears? also whys it fun : D
Old Nov 29, 2003, 04:35 PM

downshifting is fun cause when u downshift u get that jolt of power and your car will just sorta "cant really explaining the word" go. this is especially fun when turning cause u acceling to the turn u have to slow down to make the turn by downshifting u can exit the turn a lot fast rather than doing it normally. u give it that extra rev while the clutch is down so that when u shift your rpm will be already at give or take 5k when engage it so that u exit at full power. my advice to u is too find a beater to try and learn this cause i cant explain to u how bad the car i practiced on is screwed. if done wrong the clutch will seriously suffer
Old Nov 29, 2003, 05:57 PM

use the clutch
Old Nov 29, 2003, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

stick shift is fun
Old Nov 29, 2003, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

You need to rev the engine with the cltuch out so you can match the rpm to the speed of the cltuch so you don't burn your clutch. Have you ever driven stick?
Old Nov 29, 2003, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

I thought the evo has synchros that does the matching for you?
Old Nov 29, 2003, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

It does - but you could wear them out... Match revs even with the clutch if possible - it's better on the clutch.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

if you read my 1st post then you would know if i drive stick, i dont downshift rather i shift into nuetral then pick a gear depending on my speed

so downshifting your saying 3rd - 2nd, clutch down ,shift to 2nd, rev high, release clutch?
Old Nov 29, 2003, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Rev to match... generally that's high...

If you shift w/o clutch, you can rev and "feel" when it gets to a matched speed. If you're too low, you hear grinding, and if you're too high, it doesn't "slide" into gear. And if you're my Fiance, you grind, and then kill the engine.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

haha nice joke

rev to match explain more please?, sorry im a little behind on it all but i thought this would be the place to ask
Old Nov 29, 2003, 07:53 PM
Account Disabled

hey RHITME03...i have a remote start on mine but i does sart in gear...i didnt think that you overide that unless you have sensors in every gear...??
Old Nov 29, 2003, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Rev Match:

Example... Your Car Turns appx. 3k @ 70mph in 5th Gear.

70mph in 4th gear is roughly 3,900 (I may be off here)... In order to match Revs... you would clutch the car out of 5th, Press the gas until the tach read 3,900 - and then release the clutch with 4th gear engaged.

If you are good with this, you can shift without clutching between these gears, so long as the revs are high enough in your exit gear, and are matched properly to the entrance gear. It works both ways (up and down)...
Old Nov 29, 2003, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

As for remote start... there are 2 ways to do it without attaching sensors to every gear... 1) If your system has a glow-plug circuit, you could use it to power a relay that makes the car think the clutch is engaged (close the circuit on the sensor).

Or you could get a system that requires you to exit the vehicle with the engine running and e-brake set before it kills the engine. The system then disarms itsself if you open a door before starting the car. Think about it - how do you exit your car with the e-brake set and the engine running while it's in gear.

Quick Reply: shifting question