Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Correct line for cornering?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2003, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bindolla has good words of wisdom.

Runny Yolk. Which track were you running and which corner. Experience from others often is the best for a particular case. High speed racing in the rain made a believer out of me when I thought I was doing so well passing people left and right then a fella in a vette crawled up on me and got by. I was in my slocus and thought no way is he going to get that power down in the pouring rain. In the corners where I expected equality is where he roasted me in the wet. It took him driving me around for a handful of laps to understand and have faith in the "wet" line. after that and two muddy excursions I found faith in the wet line. Riding the very edge 2 inches from the muck where the traction is at was a huge eye opene. His experience and taking me for a spin in my car left me very impressed. Then it was nice to get back out there and have the exit speeds from the corners and his slippy back end keeping us near equal. In the dry when he can put all his power down coming out of a corner though, well he can stroll on by. Biggest suck of that day was not having my harness in the car though. It got very strenuous after about 30 mins. The last few minutes were hard..

Tanner - you need to go to the windy roads around lake worth. - Ever go run out at the Texas Motor Speedway? or MSR or TWS?

Last edited by Mister2zx3; Dec 28, 2003 at 06:12 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Qualifying laps and race laps are different. Sometimes you can't just leave the door open for the guy to cut into the inside line before turns, so you're forced to protect your line and turn in a bit early...
Old Jan 1, 2004, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

I was at TWS. The particular turn where I feel the car understeering the most is turn 6, right after the compromised apex. I managed to run the car right off the road even though I had a fairly late turn-in. Who knows? I do need quite a bit more seat time. Too bad it's so expensive...

Originally posted by Mister2zx3
Bindolla has good words of wisdom.

Runny Yolk. Which track were you running and which corner. Experience from others often is the best for a particular case. High speed racing in the rain made a believer out of me when I thought I was doing so well passing people left and right then a fella in a vette crawled up on me and got by. I was in my slocus and thought no way is he going to get that power down in the pouring rain. In the corners where I expected equality is where he roasted me in the wet. It took him driving me around for a handful of laps to understand and have faith in the "wet" line. after that and two muddy excursions I found faith in the wet line. Riding the very edge 2 inches from the muck where the traction is at was a huge eye opene. His experience and taking me for a spin in my car left me very impressed. Then it was nice to get back out there and have the exit speeds from the corners and his slippy back end keeping us near equal. In the dry when he can put all his power down coming out of a corner though, well he can stroll on by. Biggest suck of that day was not having my harness in the car though. It got very strenuous after about 30 mins. The last few minutes were hard..

Tanner - you need to go to the windy roads around lake worth. - Ever go run out at the Texas Motor Speedway? or MSR or TWS?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 03:30 PM
Account Disabled

How much does it cost for an hour? or day?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 07:12 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spiderman, you mean how much does it cost to run on a track? A day typically costs $100-200 or more. This coming weekend I will be at Dubwars at Buttonwillow Raceway (only about a 1.5 hour drive from you, I think) and the rate is $150 for 2 days which will add up to about 3 hours of track time. Check out the following links for track rates in our area.

www.redlinetrackevents.com
www.speedventures.net
www.digitalracer.com
www.racerfactory.com
www.touringcarclub.com
www.nasaproracing.com
Old Jun 6, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Holding a late apex is very good advice, for both street and track. When you turn in too early, your midcorner speed will be too high, and your line will not be ideal. This combined with liberal use of the throttle will result in massive understeer!

Instead, try holding off the apex a little later then you're used to. A good trick is to go to where you naturally want to turn in, then count 1 2 3 then turn It feels like you're running wide, but you're actually not because you're on a better line.

When you apex late, you rotate the car once and that's it. You can then apply liberal use of the throttle to tighten the line because it's already set and you're pointed the right way. Your steering inputs will be very minimal.

It's easy to say but hard to do. So you'll just have to judge yourself and trust the car.

Another advanced technique you can try is to apex late and trail the brakes a little bit into the entry. It will help load up the front and ease the rotation. Then you can power down. Just make sure the turbos are spooling somehow
Old Jun 6, 2004, 08:15 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g6civcx
It's easy to say but hard to do. So you'll just have to judge yourself and trust the car.
Very true. It takes a lot of patience to learn to apex the right way. You naturally want to just shoot towards the inside, then you get there so fast, you are still headed towards the dirt. Almost every turn at Buttonwillow is a late apex turn. One is an early apex, but that's because it's an increasing radius into a long sweeper.

Originally Posted by g6civcx
Another advanced technique you can try is to apex late and trail the brakes a little bit into the entry. It will help load up the front and ease the rotation. Then you can power down. Just make sure the turbos are spooling somehow
What turbo?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

You got me

Late apex is also very helpful on the street, especially around blind turns. It allows you to have maximum visibility into the corner before you commit to a line.