Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.
View Poll Results: What do YOU do when slowing to a stop?
Downshift through each gear while decellerating.
54.47%
I put it in neutral and just use the brakes.
38.04%
I don't know how to drive standard transmission, cuz I am a stupid n00b.
7.49%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Do you downshift when slowing to a stop?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2003 | 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

The only 2 options on the poll should have been yes I downshift or no im a stupid newb
Old Aug 6, 2003 | 02:40 AM
Evolving Member

I like to down shift while slowing right down or coming to a complete stop. It lets the engines compression help slow u down and saves on the brakes, plus it sounds great depending on how aggressive u do it.
Old Aug 6, 2003 | 05:49 AM

One of the first things my father taught me when teaching me how to drive was that braking is not always the best solution. When in danger, it can sometimes be better to accelerate rather than slam on the brakes.

Figure the rest out for yourselves. If you're out of gear, you can't use the engine to escape for a dangerous situation. I'm not saying I don't coast in neutral, because I do, but the safe way and correct way to drive is to always have your car in gear.
Old Aug 7, 2003 | 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ozrmrlancer
I use the double clutch and match rpm technique, because it is extra smooth compared with just regular downshifting, and it creates a perfect engagement for the clutch!
joke?
Old Aug 10, 2003 | 08:56 AM

Originally posted by 90GSX-03EVO

Also, the control comes from the ability to apply throttle at any time and get out of a potentially dangerous situation (such as a driver from behind who isn't paying attention).

Damn I need to stop posting on this one. This is like the 4th post in a row for me.

Josh
The extra "control" means jack **** if I'm stopped at a light with cars all around me. Even if there are no other cars around me, what the hell am I supposed to do? Run the red, get hit by another car, and be at fault for that accident?
Old Aug 11, 2003 | 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Abercrombie

The extra "control" means jack **** if I'm stopped at a light with cars all around me. Even if there are no other cars around me, what the hell am I supposed to do? Run the red, get hit by another car, and be at fault for that accident?
Certainly you are joking?

First of all, this thread is about APPROACHING a stop, not sitting at a stopsign or stoplight.

And if you don't understand how application of power might help you get out of a dangerous situation, I'd appreciate it if you'd just give your driver's license back to whichever state issued it.
Old Aug 11, 2003 | 07:07 PM

Originally posted by 2 point 0
I downshift to save my brakes.

why do you downshift to save your brakes? isn't that kinda stupid?

I mean...

New tranny is more expensive then new brakespadS! and brakepads are tons easier to change.

this has been a long argued topic since cars were invented. ans basically.

Less stress on the engine/tranny is good is good.

also if you feel the need you MUST downshift, doulbe clutch and put it in gear slowyl it will save you syncros more.
Old Aug 11, 2003 | 11:13 PM

Originally posted by kurichan

Certainly you are joking?

First of all, this thread is about APPROACHING a stop, not sitting at a stopsign or stoplight.

And if you don't understand how application of power might help you get out of a dangerous situation, I'd appreciate it if you'd just give your driver's license back to whichever state issued it.
=P
Old Aug 15, 2003 | 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

there is basically no reason to actually downshift unless your racing. downshfiting on normal roads everyday will just put more wear on your clutch because u have to disengage and engage it more often.

when i stop i just keep the car in whatever gear i'm in and just step on the break and slow down. then when the rpm's reach like 1000-1500 i disengage the clutch and put it in either first or if i am stopping for a while at like a red light i'll put it in neutral.
Old Aug 15, 2003 | 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

I only downshift if im on a turn and want to speed up after
Old Aug 16, 2003 | 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

The proper answer is not an option in the poll, but several people have mentioned it.

You let off the gas pedal and coast up to the stop in the gear you're in and when it's dropping below 1500-2000rpm you can put it in neutral and brake to a stop.
Old Aug 17, 2003 | 03:43 AM

actually, you should be able to down shift.

But you would want to use a heel and toe technique.

Let off the clutch, rev the engine to match the higher rpms of the lower gear you are going into.

this will put less stress on all the components.

and save those precious brakes that we all know are expensive and extremely hard to change (sarcastic)

Old Aug 25, 2003 | 06:43 PM

It doesn't cut off the injectors. It drops them down to the base idle speed pulse width. It uses just as much gas as being in neutral.
i just had to register to reply to this

you are wrong. the injectors do not return to baseline idle. they get totally cut off. below is a delta dash logged run that i made with my wrx. you will clearly see that fuel gets totally cut off when i am coasting in gear after the WOT run.

so there you have it. you do not burn gas if you coast in gear.
Old Sep 1, 2003 | 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Leave the car in the present gear while slowing down until the RPM drop to the idling area. That way you do not add stress to the transmisson by downshifting and you also extend the life of your brakes because the car slows down faster.
Old Sep 4, 2003 | 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

I down shift through the gears as I am slowing down or coming to a stop, I also blip the throttle between shifts to match revs so there is no jerk or excessive clutch wear.

Quick Reply: Do you downshift when slowing to a stop?