Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.
View Poll Results: What do YOU do when slowing to a stop?
Downshift through each gear while decellerating.
54.47%
I put it in neutral and just use the brakes.
38.04%
I don't know how to drive standard transmission, cuz I am a stupid n00b.
7.49%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Do you downshift when slowing to a stop?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I like to rev it with the right side of my right foot while I brake with the left side of my right foot in order to match what the lower gear will engage at usually 2nd at around 50 so usually I rev to 5 and the clutch comes out with no resistence... This is probly why I broke the throwout bearing. Good thing it was under full warentee so I got a whole new tranny and clutch for free...
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

i just use the brakes think about it a clutch cost like 800 to have replaced from mitsu and brakes cost about 100 for the pads from mitsu and a roter to get cut down is like what 15 dollars you do the math
Old Sep 21, 2002, 10:35 PM

I stay in gear and brake. When the car is almost stopped, I shift to neutral. I was told by my dad that shifting to neutral while the car is in high speed is dangerous. He never explained to me why, though.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 03:42 AM

i always downshift...not so it revs...to 6 or anything but...i think its annoying when i ride with my gf and she just pushes in the clutch and slams on the brake...plus if somebody is creepin up from behind in a ratbag...i just have to slam the gas and hit another gear...street racing is not illegal...(ok maybe it is...just have a shirt that says that)
Old Sep 29, 2002, 11:04 AM

I always down shift when coming to a stop
Old Oct 5, 2002, 09:55 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I downshift when racing or getting off the freeway, otherwise I put it in neutral. Heheh pole didn't allow that option.
Old Oct 5, 2002, 11:35 AM

Using downshifting combined with the brakes saves gas and extends the life of the transmission and brakes. Enough said.
Old Oct 5, 2002, 11:44 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally posted by OZRACINGWV
Using downshifting combined with the brakes saves gas and extends the life of the transmission and brakes. Enough said.
Whao, wait a minute! I'll agree that downshifting saves the brakes a little, but it would put extra strain on the transmission and since it revs the engine up, I'd imagine it actually uses up a little MORE gas.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 09:12 PM

UrbanKnight---"Whao, wait a minute! I'll agree that downshifting saves the brakes a little, but it would put extra strain on the transmission and since it revs the engine up, I'd imagine it actually uses up a little MORE gas."

There is a small difference in what you imagine goes on and what really does. First, it does save gas by downshifting, the engine doesn't have to work quite as hard since the engine is braking against itself. Second, if you know how to use your tranny, it isn't any "extra" strain to downshift at all. But I'm sure you have plenty of fun pretending to know what a car does.

Last edited by OZRACINGWV; Oct 7, 2002 at 09:22 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 11:01 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Awwe, you hurt my imagination Now I'll bet you're gonna tell me Santa Claus isn't real either. Naw seriously I'll look into that, if it really does save gas and tranny, I'll switch.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

he's right about braking against itself, save transmission is subject to how well you shift but if this is your method than you probably have it down smoov like me and WV
Old Oct 9, 2002, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

downshifting (heel-toeing) really doesn't save any on your car. What it does do is allow you to exit corners at a much faster speed.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

downshifting and heel-toe technique are not the same.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:52 AM

I downshift through the gears if there's a chance i'll need to accelerate again before coming to a stop, but if i'm approaching a stop sign or something where it's a definate stop, i wont worry too much about downshifting .
Old Oct 17, 2002, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

downshifting DOES save on your car, in a way. it saves on brake wear. but it really only "saves" if you properly shift. downshifting does put some more wear on your clutch and gears but if you are not a retard and shift properly than it is of little significance. basically-downshift when you can (long stops, light about to change) and brake when necessary.

heel-toe is a certain braking technique that allows you to apply the brakes to slow down and load your tranny up so that when you are ready to open up the throttle on the exit you are at high rpms (this is similar to power shifting, instead of taking your foot off the gas to shift you shift very quickly and leave your foot on....basically redlining and dropping the clutch in every gear). downshifting and heel-toe as pimpson said are two very different things. heel-toe should only be used when rally/autox racing as it causes tremendous wear on just about every part of your car, whereas downshifting is just selecting the proper gear for your speed. btw in case you didn't know staying in high gear at low speeds is also bad for your car and produces 'lugging'....in that case downshifting is GOOD for your car

Quick Reply: Do you downshift when slowing to a stop?