Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.
View Poll Results: What do YOU do when slowing to a stop?
Downshift through each gear while decellerating.
54.47%
I put it in neutral and just use the brakes.
38.04%
I don't know how to drive standard transmission, cuz I am a stupid n00b.
7.49%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Do you downshift when slowing to a stop?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2002 | 10:07 AM

Heel and toe was developped in order to take turns more efficiently no?....(before actually going into the turn),not to stop. ill do it for kicks once in a blue moon, but i just found it more or less useless doing it all the time.

i just leave it in whatever gear i was at, slow down, neutral, stop, back in 1st, and off i go!

Last edited by El-Vegs; May 12, 2003 at 06:16 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2002 | 10:52 AM

hmmm when it comes to slowing down i just downshift and thats it, i use that slowing down when some dumbass gets in front of me and we are going same or close speed, than floor it go to a free lane and im gone
Old Oct 22, 2002 | 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

me too, it's really usefull to have the car in the proper powerband.
Old Nov 7, 2002 | 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Putting the car in neutral will not hurt your transmision. that's like pushing the clutch. everytime you push the clutch in your car is in neutral. so you can't hurt the tranny by putting it in neautral. you may wear brakes quicker but that's it.

Now if you have an auto then it could be bad, but an auto works like a manual in that when you change gears it is in neutral in between gears. but the automatic uses a different part (I can't think of the name right now) to disengage from the engine instead of a clutch.
Old Nov 7, 2002 | 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

i just leave it in gear most of the time unless i TRY to show off the exhaust, then i down shift
Old Nov 7, 2002 | 02:55 PM

i throw it in neutral too.......
Old Nov 7, 2002 | 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

I downshift all the time, except for first gear. I was told to be delicate with first gear on japanese cars, even when putting it gear. Downshifting is better for your brakes, and I think your battery. It does use more gas than putting it in neutral, but not a big difference. I'd rather save my brakes than gas and like Pimson said proper powerband is good.
Old Nov 14, 2002 | 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in an auto an I just brake hard unless I need to stop quicker ... then I downshift. and once ina while I do it for the noise ... ain't nothing wrong w/ dat.
Old Nov 14, 2002 | 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Surfer_Sandman
Putting the car in neutral will not hurt your transmision. that's like pushing the clutch. everytime you push the clutch in your car is in neutral. so you can't hurt the tranny by putting it in neautral. you may wear brakes quicker but that's it.

Now if you have an auto then it could be bad, but an auto works like a manual in that when you change gears it is in neutral in between gears. but the automatic uses a different part (I can't think of the name right now) to disengage from the engine instead of a clutch.
actually, pushing the clutch is a lot different than putting it in neutral. when you put the transmission in neutral, it just means that there is no gear loading down the engine, and the driveshaft can rotate freely. when you push the clutch, it is similar, but the entire drivetrain is disconnected from the engine.

an auto uses a torque converter to measure differences in pressure to select proper gears. it uses a piston like device to...eh too complicated to explain. point is, when you throw an automatic car into neutral and coast, it is bad. it disconnects certain parts of the transmission that shouldn't be, and puts excessive wear on the different clutchs (yes autos do have clutches, many of them in fact.....any device with two shafts that spin at different speeds has a clutch). overdrive is good enough to keep fuel economy down, no reason to coast in neutral.
Old Dec 1, 2002 | 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

mine just wont shift into 1st... but its cool i don;t use it to stop anyway
Old Dec 15, 2002 | 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Again, as has been mentioned. 1st is non-synchro. That is why you can't downshift into first.

On a side note, I got yelled at by my mechanic at Mitsu for downshifting to slow down.
Old Dec 29, 2002 | 03:29 AM
Evolving Member

At what RPM do you guys/girls usually down shift?

Cheers
Old Dec 29, 2002 | 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

Well, downshifting is actually better and FUN. Because your muffler emits a loud sound and atleast your brakes wont get worn off fast.... And i heard its also safer to do it... Downshift first then tap on the brakes....
Old Dec 31, 2002 | 10:45 AM

I read my manual (I guess coz I had nothing better to do), but the Lancer's owner's manual has a section about what speeds you should downshift...just a useless FYI for the experienced drivers out there but maybe helpout the inexperienced
Old Jan 9, 2003 | 06:22 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
Neutral and brake. There's no need to put extra stress on your transmission. Everytime you shift, engage or disengage the clutch it gets worn that much more. If you know you're coming to a complete stop then there's no reason to have the engine pushing against your braking.
Hehe, that depends. You're saving the engine but using the brakes more which in some cases isn't only using the brakes but putting extra heat on them so downshifting and braking with the engine can be very useful

But i agree, i do neutral and brake myself sometimes or sometimes second gear and crusing with snail-speed until green shows up. I guess it depends on the mood.

Quick Reply: Do you downshift when slowing to a stop?